• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hammerin Hank
    Slave to the Game
    • Aug 2002

Leading Batsman

Who will lead the A's in batting average?
    Erubiel Durazo
    20.00%
    Mark Kotsay
    20.00%
    Scott Hatteberg
    0.00%
    Eric Byrnes
    0.00%
    Jason Kendall
    60.00%
    Other
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

2016 World Series Champions
  • Hammerin Hank
    Slave to the Game
    • Aug 2002

My predictions:

Jason Kendall: .335
    Mark Kotsay: .317
    Erubiel Durazo: .305
    Eric Byrnes: .297
    Scott Hatteberg: .275
    2016 World Series Champions

Comment

• The Commissioner
      Administrator
      • Jan 2000

I'm going with their new catcher, here.

Comment

• playboykilla187
        The Only King Of Oakland
        • Dec 2004

My Thoughts

Mark Kotsay: .328
        Erubiel Durazo: .322
        Jason Kendall: .310
        Eric Byrnes: .288
        Scott Hatteberg: .272
        The King is back representing that Oak-town Killafornia.

Comment

• Zito75
          A's Super Moderator
          • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Hammerin Hank
          My predictions:

Jason Kendall: .335
          Mark Kotsay: .317
          Erubiel Durazo: .305
          Eric Byrnes: .297
          Scott Hatteberg: .275
          Sounds good to me!
          WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Comment

• Catfish27
            In Memoriam 1946-1999
            • Feb 2005

Kendall will be learning a new league, so I don't expect he'll lead the team in hitting. I'm going with Rubi.

I'm also a bit surprised at some of the batting averages being predicted. Historically speaking, Oakland has had very few high average hitters, the large foul territory at the Coliseum likely a prime contributor to that. In the past 25 years they've never had more than 2 regulars hit .300 or better in the same season, and have frequently had -0- .300 hitters.

Durazo .321
            Kotsay .314

None

Tejada .308

Giambi .342

Giambi .333

Giambi .315

None

None

McGwire .312
            Brosius .304

R.Henderson .300

Berroa .306

R.Henderson .327

Bordick .300

None

R.Henderson .325

Lansford .336

Canseco .307
            D.Henderson .304

None

None

None

Lansford .300

Lansford .308

None

R.Henderson .319

R.Henderson .303

Comment

• playboykilla187
              The Only King Of Oakland
              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Catfish27
              Kendall will be learning a new league, so I don't expect he'll lead the team in hitting. I'm going with Rubi.

I'm also a bit surprised at some of the batting averages being predicted. Historically speaking, Oakland has had very few high average hitters, the large foul territory at the Coliseum likely a prime contributor to that. In the past 25 years they've never had more than 2 regulars hit .300 or better in the same season, and have frequently had -0- .300 hitters.
              Historically, the A's didn't have Kendall, Kotsay, and Durazo. And when they did have Kotsay, he batted .314. His career AVG is just under .290 and that's including his injury-ridden season in 2003. If you take away 2003 and his rookie and sophomore seasons when he was obviously still learning to hit, his AVG goes to .300. Ruby is generally not the greatest at hitting but is good at getting on-base. He has the most chance of the three to not hit .300. Kendall is a ridiculously good hitter and has a career AVG of .306. Plus, Kotsay didn't have any trouble mastering the AL pitching and Kendall is twice the hitter Kotsay is.

What happened historically is really of no relevence now. Historically, the A's always had 3-4 big boppers in the line-up, now they have one. Historically (as in 2000 and after) they had great starting pitching, a bad-to-decent 'pen and a great closer. Now they don't. Historically, their manager wasn't as bad as Ken Macha, now it IS Ken Macha. History matters naught.

Comment

• Catfish27
                In Memoriam 1946-1999
                • Feb 2005

Isn't it a bit of a contradiction to say history is of "no relevance" and "matters naught" then use past performance, e.g., "career .306 hitter", to predict future performance?

I understand that what happened in the past does not necessarily dictate what will happen in the future. As the saying goes, "There's a first time for everything." However, one must also consider the dynamics of the ballpark in which half of the their games will be played. Oakland just isn't conducive to producing high batting averages. I've been watching games in Oakland for over 30 years, so I think I have pretty good perspective on this.

Historically, Kendall (.306 BA, .387 OBP, .418 SLG) is more adept at getting on base than Kotsay (.287 BA, .343 OBP, .425 SLG), but hardly "twice the hitter". Durazo's lifetime stats (.285 BA, .387 OBP, .497 SLG) indicate he hits with more power than either Kendall or Kotsay. My guess that he will hit for a higher average than those two is just that, a guess. For all I know Byrnes will continue to improve and top them all by hitting .350. We'll find out in October.

Comment

• playboykilla187
                  The Only King Of Oakland
                  • Dec 2004

What???

If you seriously can't see the difference between using a players career numbers to predict future performance and using a franchises stat history to predict new players future performances then I'd have to say all hope is lost for you. Kendall is new. Kotsay is going into his second year on the A's and hit .314 in his first (in a new league). Durazo is generally not a high AVG hitter but he turned out to be one of the best hitters in the game last year. There is no reason why the A's shouldn't have AT LEAST two above-.300 hitters next year. And if players like Byrnes and Chavez continue to progress, 5 isn't completely out of the question.

I'm still having trouble figuring out how Lansford hitting .336 in 1989 has anything at all to do with Kendall's ability to hit .300 in 2005. Maybe you could explain that.

Comment

• Zito75
                    A's Super Moderator
                    • Jun 2003

Originally posted by playboykilla187
                    I'm still having trouble figuring out how Lansford hitting .336 in 1989 has anything at all to do with Kendall's ability to hit .300 in 2005. Maybe you could explain that.
                    I was wondering the same thing... Is there a correlation? If so, I am not making a connection. Explain, por favor....

IMO, we could have 3 or 4 .300 hitters. Assuming Byrnes sticks around, he's got a shot. Same with Durazo. Kendall is almost a sure lock. Kotsay will hit around .305 or better. I'm really looking forward to the season and watching the young guns throw... :gt
                    WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Comment

• Catfish27
                      In Memoriam 1946-1999
                      • Feb 2005

My point is that it would be unprecedented for Oakland to have three .300 hitters.

I'm not doubting Jason Kendall's talents, but it's my experience that there is often a drop off in performance when one changes leagues. There are exceptions this, of course, for instance Frank Robinson won the AL Triple Crown in 1966 after being traded from Cincinnati to Baltimore, but generally speaking there is usually a period of adjustment after a league change.

Can we agree that Oakland is not conducive to high batting averages? I guarantee you that if you were to take the highly productive Boston Red Sox lineup and have them play half their games in Oakland, their stats would not be nearly as good. Place an otherwise run-of-the-mill player and have him play half his games in Colorado, his offensive stats will likely take a significant leap.

As far as Lansford goes, 1989 was his 7th in Oakland and 12th in the American League. He was very familiar with the pitchers, umpires, and his home ballpark. He also was blessed to have to be surrounded by a veteran lineup on its way to it's 2nd consecutive AL pennant. In keeping with my main point that the Oakland lineup is not usually laden with .300 + hitters, he was the only Oakland regular to hit .300 that season.

Comment

• playboykilla187
                        The Only King Of Oakland
                        • Dec 2004

After reading that last paragraph, I realize that you fooled me. You see, I thought you were going to explain what Lanford's 1989 statline had to do with Kendall's 2005 statline, but clearly you didn't.

Comment

• Zito75
                          A's Super Moderator
                          • Jun 2003

Originally posted by playboykilla187
                          After reading that last paragraph, I realize that you fooled me. You see, I thought you were going to explain what Lanford's 1989 statline had to do with Kendall's 2005 statline, but clearly you didn't.
                          I guess I'll have to reserve jugdement until Kendall HAS a 2005 stat line. But I sort of understand where Catfish is coming from- The A's have lived by the long ball the past 20 years or so. Having Beane & Macha calling the shots won't change any of that, since Beane is almost convinced that playing small ball makes too many outs, thus dropping run production. We'll see.
                          WAR? Prove it!

Comment

• playboykilla187
                            The Only King Of Oakland
                            • Dec 2004

While small ball is good for run production and overall offensive effectiveness, the complete lack of small ball will help raise stats such as BA and OBP. If you commit to the sac bunt, you will almost never get a hit. Even if you get on-base, it will most likely have been because of an error. If you attempt to hit, you (basically) have as good of a shot to get a hit as you average is. So if you you attempt 30 sac bunts a year, even one of those turning into a hit would be a great thing. But if you get those same 30 AB's and your average is .300, you will (or should) get 9 hits. That's a .300 BA vs. a .030 BA. The argument could be made over which is better given it's outside factors but no one can dispute the fact that small ball lowers a batting average.

Basically what that means is that if Kendall is able to figure out AL pitching (which shouldn't be too hard since the AL West and Central, minus the Twins, have terrible pitching) then all signs point to him actually having a higher average than not only last year, but also his career-high .332 in 1999.

Comment

• Hammerin Hank
                              Slave to the Game
                              • Aug 2002

As of 4/27:

Scutaro: .302
                              Kotsay: .292
                              Hatteberg: .284
                              Kendall: .247
                              Durazo: .243
                              Swisher: .225
                              Chavez: .181