Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Expos scrapbook

Brian Schneider retires

Brian Schneider, the last regular catcher of the Montreal Expos, retired from baseball Tuesday. With Montreal, his batting stat line was .252/.321/.399, 27 home runs and 141 runs batted in in 388 games. He also ranks 6th for career innings caught (2845.2) with the club and had a 45% success rate against base stealers, which is better than Gary Carter (40%). In 2003 and 2004, he even had the best caught-stealing percentage among National League catchers. Have fun with all your future projects, Brian.

Brian Schneider's page at Baseball-Reference.com
    The news of his retirement from MLBTradeRumors.com.
    A nice article from Fangraphs.com, mentionning among other things what might have been his most memorale at-bat with the Expos.
    Something a bit unusual here.
    Last edited by Chicoutimi CP; 01-30-2013 at 07:22 PM.
    « But what's puzzlin' you is the nature of my game... »

Ah, my old stomping ground... Haven't been here in... well forever. Sorry to see Brian hang it up. He was among those who cared during the last few years of the Expos. Along with Brad Wilkerson, he toured the facility after the final home game to thank Expos employees for their hard work under difficult circumstances. Really a shame that he did not start the final home game (Einar Diaz, really? WTF as the kids would say...)
    From now until the end of September, I'll be chronicling in real time on Twitter the 1946 season of the International league's Montréal Royals, when Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in professional baseball. Check it out: https://twitter.com/Royals_46season

Who owns the domain http://www.montrealexpos.com ? There's nothing there.

Chris Jaffe writes for the hardballtimes.com web site. He’s famous for his “Anniversaries” and “Day-versaries” features. A month ago, he wrote about an old game involving the Expos that had happened 10,000 days before. Fun stuff, even if a bit long.

On Monday, Max Scherzer became the 29th MLB pitcher since 1916 to have a 10 win streak from the start of a season. That is quite an accomplishment and the complete list is here, thanks to the Baseball-Reference.com Play Index. It is interesting to note that the first name on the list is a reliever, then at his prime, who finished his career in Montreal the first year of the franchise.

In their 36 years history, the record by an Expos pitcher for the most consecutive wins from the start of a season is eight, by three guys. Of course, Pedro did it in 1997. The names of the two other guys are a bit surprising, one of them being a reliever who made a very strong impression during his rookie year wearing the red, white, and blue cap. So here are all 14 Montreal Expos pitchers who started a season with at least 5 straight wins before losing a decision. In fact, nine starters (including two brothers) and five relievers appear on the list. And our reliever with the 8 win streak also had another one of seven two years later, in arguably one of the greatest seasons by an Expos relief pitcher.
    Last edited by Chicoutimi CP; 06-19-2013 at 09:54 AM.

Remembering Martinez's perfect game with the Expos

22 years and 3 days after the fact, more about El Presidente's perfect game in L.A. (Thanks to the SABR chapter of Montreal, once again.)
    Last edited by Chicoutimi CP; 07-31-2013 at 06:03 PM.

My mistake. Sorry.

Toronto’s Jose Bautista had assists on two 9-3 putouts over the last two days. What a rocket arm he has!!! Fangraphs published a very nice article about the subject.

When I wrote that first post here in June 2010, I mentioned in the first sentence that there had been no 9-3 putouts for at least six years in MLB games. Turns out I was just almost right. I scanned the 2007 Retrosheet event files a bit too quickly and missed one that happened that year. So I should have written three years instead of six without such a play or only one since 2003. I apologize for that.
    Last edited by Chicoutimi CP; 06-02-2014 at 06:56 PM.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314