• Show
Clear All
  • Chicoutimi CP
    • May 2005

Originally posted by VIBaseball View Post
    New at the SABR BioProject:

Jarry Park
    http://bioproj.sabr.org/bioproj.cfm?...3908&pid=19789
    Very interesting piece. I particularly like the "splashdown home runs" anecdotes. I thought it was more frequent because I saw one by Ken Henderson of the Giants on August 20, 1971. It was my second game ever at Jarry. That was so amazing. After almost 40 years to the day, I still remember that very clearly. One of my best memories of an Expos game. Costello should have mentionned that the ball had to be hit OVER the scoreboard to reach the swimming pool.
    « But what's puzzlin' you is the nature of my game... »

Comment

• Chicoutimi CP
      • May 2005

On this day in Expos' history (September 3... and 5)

Taken from the Baseball-Reference.com Bullpen and mentioned in today’s Blog:

“ 1997 - 2B Mike Lansing's 3rd-inning home run is Montreal's only hit, but it's enough to give the Expos a 1 - 0 win over the Red Sox. Aaron Sele and Tom Gordon baffle the Expos the rest of the way, but Carlos Perez allows only two hits himself in blanking Boston “... Ah! The good old days of interleague play in September.

That game was one of only two won by Montreal despite getting only one hit in their history. By the way, that other one-hit win is two days from celebrating its anniversary too. It’s worth looking at the crazy ending of that game on the play by play.

Happy Labor Day week end, everyone!

Comment

• Chicoutimi CP
        • May 2005

Sent to me by the SABR chapter of Montreal, here is a YouTube tribute to many Expos players. Enjoy...

Gus, any news about Il était une fois les Expos Tome 2?

Comment

• Chicoutimi CP
          • May 2005

The books has been in bookstores for a few days now. I've read the first 100 pages or so and it is as interesting as the first part was.

Comment

• Chicoutimi CP
            • May 2005

Here is the complete video of a Game of the Week from the Big O. Matchup between Steve Rogers and Vidal Blue from May 1981. It's great to watch if for no other reason than to see 40,000 people in the Big O and a rookie named Tim Raines. You can also follow the play-by-play on Retrosheet. Once again, thanks again to the SABR Montreal chapter for sending me this.

Comment

• Chicoutimi CP
              • May 2005

Sent to me by the SABR Montreal chapter, interesting stuff about Le Grand Orange who was inducted a couple of weeks ago to the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame.

Comment

• Chicoutimi CP
                • May 2005

Completely Useless Trivia (24)

Baseball is here again even if we are starting season no 8 without “Nos Amours”. Here are some more not too relevant numbers and facts, plus a link going to an old post of mine about Opening Day in Expos’ history (I didn’t update it this year, though).

* The earliest Opening Day for the Expos was March 31, 2003, in Atlanta, where the team won 10-2. In that victory, Orlando Cabrera became the only Expo who ever hit a home run during the third month of the calendar year.

* Game 6 of the last World Series let us see a struggling bullpen for the Texas Rangers, as three of their relief pitchers had blown saves. It’s something that happened only twice to the Expos in 5,702 games during the team’s history: in a 9-8 loss at Houston on June 6, 1991, and in a 5-4 defeat at Atlanta on September 24, 1995.

* Tim Foli (April 21-22, 1976 in Chicago) and Brad Wilkerson (June 24, 2003 vs Pittsburgh) both hit for the natural cycle in a game, which means a single, a double, a triple and a home run in chronological order. Foli did it in five at-bats over a two day period during a suspended game and Wilkerson, in four straight at-bats.

* Among the players with a minimum 500 PAs in a single season, Ron Fairly is the only Montreal batter who had at least twice as many walks as strike outs, with 86 BBs and 33 Ks in 505 PAs during the 1973 season.

* A 7-1 loss in Los Angeles on April 24, 1994, was the only game ever in which Expos batters did not get a walk AND did not strike out.

Source: Baseball-Reference.com Play Index.
                Last edited by Chicoutimi CP; 04-14-2012, 06:54 PM.

Comment

• Chicoutimi CP
                  • May 2005

Grand slams hit by a left-handed hitter off a left-handed pitcher

I'll break the silence after all these weeks of inactivity... Minutes ago, I watched the Rays’ Matt Joyce, a left-handed batter, hit a grand slam off the Red Sox’s Jon Lester, a left-handed pitcher. So, it made me think: how many times an Expos left-handed batter hit a grand slam against a left-handed pitcher? I would have expected quite a bit more than this.

Comment

• Chicoutimi CP
                    • May 2005

Rock and the HoF

No one was admitted to the Baseball Hall of Fame, earlier this week, but former Expo Tim Raines improved his voting share, garnering 52.2%, up from 48.7% last year. This was good for 5th place behind Craig Biggio (68.2%), Jack Morris (67.7%), Jeff Bagwell (59.6%), and Mike Piazza (57.8%). It was Raines’ sixth appearance on the ballot. As this graph shows, it is interesting to note that Rock’s total has doubled in the last four years. With still nine years of eligibility left, he seems to have a good shot at reaching 75% of the vote and making it to Cooperstown one day. (Thanks to the SABR Montreal chapter for sending me the link to the graph.)
                    Last edited by Chicoutimi CP; 01-10-2013, 06:04 PM.

Comment

• Chicoutimi CP
                      • May 2005

Other former Expos and the HoF

If Raines seems to be doing fine, Larry Walker's candidacy does not seem to get any steam at all. At least for the moment. At his third year on the ballot, Walker got 21,62% of the vote compared to 22,86% and 20,31% two years ago and last year, respectively. On his third year, Raines had gained 8 points. Finally, Rondell White did not get a single vote in his first entry. He will not be on future years' ballot.

Comment

• Chicoutimi CP
                        • May 2005

Brian Schneider retires

Brian Schneider, the last regular catcher of the Montreal Expos, retired from baseball Tuesday. With Montreal, his batting stat line was .252/.321/.399, 27 home runs and 141 runs batted in in 388 games. He also ranks 6th for career innings caught (2845.2) with the club and had a 45% success rate against base stealers, which is better than Gary Carter (40%). In 2003 and 2004, he even had the best caught-stealing percentage among National League catchers. Have fun with all your future projects, Brian.

Brian Schneider's page at Baseball-Reference.com
                        The news of his retirement from MLBTradeRumors.com.
                        A nice article from Fangraphs.com, mentionning among other things what might have been his most memorale at-bat with the Expos.
                        Something a bit unusual here.
                        Last edited by Chicoutimi CP; 01-30-2013, 07:22 PM.

Comment

• Augustin_"Gus"
                          Pas mal ça!
                          • Jun 2004

Ah, my old stomping ground... Haven't been here in... well forever. Sorry to see Brian hang it up. He was among those who cared during the last few years of the Expos. Along with Brad Wilkerson, he toured the facility after the final home game to thank Expos employees for their hard work under difficult circumstances. Really a shame that he did not start the final home game (Einar Diaz, really? WTF as the kids would say...)
                          From now until the end of September, I'll be chronicling in real time on Twitter the 1946 season of the International league's Montréal Royals, when Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in professional baseball. Check it out: https://twitter.com/Royals_46season

Comment

• Phantom Dreamer
                            Bring Back The Trident
                            • Nov 2012

Who owns the domain http://www.montrealexpos.com ? There's nothing there.
                            The Ultimate Baseball Look

Modern Synthetic Baseball Fields

Comment

• Chicoutimi CP
                              • May 2005

Chris Jaffe writes for the hardballtimes.com web site. He’s famous for his “Anniversaries” and “Day-versaries” features. A month ago, he wrote about an old game involving the Expos that had happened 10,000 days before. Fun stuff, even if a bit long.

Comment

• Chicoutimi CP
                                • May 2005

On Monday, Max Scherzer became the 29th MLB pitcher since 1916 to have a 10 win streak from the start of a season. That is quite an accomplishment and the complete list is here, thanks to the Baseball-Reference.com Play Index. It is interesting to note that the first name on the list is a reliever, then at his prime, who finished his career in Montreal the first year of the franchise.

In their 36 years history, the record by an Expos pitcher for the most consecutive wins from the start of a season is eight, by three guys. Of course, Pedro did it in 1997. The names of the two other guys are a bit surprising, one of them being a reliever who made a very strong impression during his rookie year wearing the red, white, and blue cap. So here are all 14 Montreal Expos pitchers who started a season with at least 5 straight wins before losing a decision. In fact, nine starters (including two brothers) and five relievers appear on the list. And our reliever with the 8 win streak also had another one of seven two years later, in arguably one of the greatest seasons by an Expos relief pitcher.
                                Last edited by Chicoutimi CP; 06-19-2013, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X