Page 1 of 118 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask The Umpire

161st St & River Ave (by way of Northern NJ)
    Blog Entries

Ask The Umpire

I've received permission from Bob (aka, "bluezebra") when I'd asked him to host this thread. He's been an umpire in various amateur leagues for 47 years, has watched baseball for 60 years. If you have any questions about umpiring and his thoughts on baseball, please ask in this thread.

Here are Bob's credentials:
    • I began in Chicago in 1956, and continued when I moved to Southern California in 1963. Started doing Little League, like about everyone else.
    • Baseball: LL, most other Youth Leagues, Parks & Rec, adult men's, American Legion, high school, etc.
    • I formed a crew, and worked three of the Silver Bullets (women's team) games (first one was on ESPN) against a local men's team, at Mavericks Stadium (Class A, California League).
    • Got another crew together to work an exhibition game between the Korean National Team (pre-1996 Olympics) and the Mavericks.
    • Also worked a local high school All-Star Game.
    • Softball: Fast pitch, Youth leagues, adult men, adult women, high school (was BU for LA City AAAA Semi-Final Game), college, Parks & Rec.
    • Slow Pitch, Adult men, adult women, high school, co-ed, Parks & Rec.
    • Since 1997, I keep the batting stats for the message board operator at Mavericks Stadium (re-named Stater Bros. Stadium).
    • Since 2000, I write a sports column for a local weekly newspaper chain. I cover high school, community college, and the Mavericks.

Thank you in advance for your participation and encouragement.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Blog Entries
    Thanks Mattingly and BlueZebra,

This will definately come in handy.

Jake
    "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
    - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Blog Entries
    I feel this is a great idea so I am going to sticky it here for a while.
    Jake

ask the ump

Hi,

Is there a rule in Little League baseball that states the pitcher shall not wear a white glove. just wondering.

Thanks

Steve

Blog Entries
    Can a switch hitter actually switch to the other side of the plate during an "at bat"?
    For example: Carlos Beltran is a switch hitter... count is 1-1... he is currently batting right... but opts to bat left during that particular at bat. Can he?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steve R View Post
    Hi,

Is there a rule in Little League baseball that states the pitcher shall not wear a white glove. just wondering.

Thanks

Steve

I no longer have the actual LL rules, but I believe the pitcher cannot use anything that will camouflage the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by AutographCollector View Post
    Can a switch hitter actually switch to the other side of the plate during an "at bat"?
    For example: Carlos Beltran is a switch hitter... count is 1-1... he is currently batting right... but opts to bat left during that particular at bat. Can he?
    The batter may switch boxes after every pitch, if he wishes. The only thing he cannot do, is; switch boxes while the pitcher is on the rubber ready to pitch.

A batter is out for illegal action when --
    (b) He steps from one batter’s box to the other while the pitcher is in position ready to pitch;

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jbooth View Post
    The batter may switch boxes after every pitch, if he wishes. The only thing he cannot do, is; switch boxes while the pitcher is on the rubber ready to pitch.

A batter is out for illegal action when --
    (b) He steps from one batter’s box to the other while the pitcher is in position ready to pitch;
    I have often said that the next evolutionary level of the game is a bi-lateral pitching and hitting. Hitters we have, pitchers are developing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Patterson View Post
    I feel this is a great idea so I am going to sticky it here for a while.
    Jake
    Here are my qualifications as an umpire;

Umpire for 26 years. Started with adult softball then went to youth baseball.

I work Varsity High School baseball and Little League. Mostly Little League (all divisions.)

I worked the 1996 JR League Western Regionals, 1999 SR League Western Regionals and 2 LL Division (State) tournaments and a SR League (State). Many sectionals at all divisions of LL and countless District tournament games.

Former Chief umpire for CA District 3, for 4 years, 1993 thru 1996.

Chief umpire for Novato Little League, 1991 and 1992, and 1997 thru 2002.

Started umpiring in 1980 in adult softball.
    Have umpired in LL since 1985.

Have a large library of books on rules and umpiring and have been to 2 training camps taught by MLB pro umpires, and to the LL WR training school and rules clinics.

I have a website that provides answers to many questions and I have a book and a DVD that I sell.

http://baseball-rules.com

Blog Entries
    For all who are new.... I have Jim's (jbooth) book Baseball Rules in Plain English and have found it a wealth of information .... and easy to read.
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by jbooth View Post
    Here are my qualifications as an umpire;

I work Varsity High School baseball and Little League. Mostly Little League (all divisions.)

I worked the 1996 JR League Western Regionals, 1999 SR League Western Regionals and 2 LL Division (State) tournaments and a SR League (State). Many sectionals at all divisions of LL and countless District tournament games.

Former Chief umpire for CA District 3, for 4 years, 1993 thru 1996.

Chief umpire for Novato Little League, 1991 and 1992, and 1997 thru 2002.

Started umpiring in 1980 in adult softball.
    Have umpired in LL since 1985.

Have a large library of books on rules and umpiring and have been to 2 training camps taught by MLB pro umpires, and to the LL WR training school and rules clinics.

I have a website that provides answers to many questions and I have a book and a DVD that I sell.

http://baseball-rules.com

Jumped from the proverbial frying pan into the fire.

Bob

Hi,

Thanks

Steve
    In ALL rules that I'm familiar with, the pitcher may not wear a white, gray or multi-colored glove.

Bob

If, for some reason, a player feels compelled to catch the ball in his cap or in any other item of his clothing for that matter (eg. his trousers ), does it count as an out?
    Greystones Mariners Baseball Club. The oldest baseball club in Ireland. 16 years and still going strong.

www.greystonesbaseball.org

Quote Originally Posted by Padday View Post
    If, for some reason, a player feels compelled to catch the ball in his cap or in any other item of his clothing for that matter (eg. his trousers ), does it count as an out?
    No. This is considered detached equipment.

OBR 7.05 Each runner including the batter runner may, without liability to be put out, advance-

(b) Three bases, if a fielder deliberately touches a fair ball with his cap, mask or any part of his uniform detached from its proper place on his person. The ball is in play and the batter may advance to home base at his peril;

c) Three bases, if a fielder deliberately throws his glove at and touches a fair ball. The ball is in play and the batter may advance to home base at his peril.

Bob

A ball bounces off the pitching rubber and goes into foul territory before first base, since it never passed first, is it foul?

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsburg2599 View Post
    A ball bounces off the pitching rubber and goes into foul territory before first base, since it never passed first, is it foul?
    FOUL BALL. I've won enough cups of coffee on that to keep Brazil working nights.

Bob

Blog Entries
    Here's one that I have always wondered Bob:
    A batter swings at a ball hit in the dirt and actually connects for a hit. Is it a hit? Dead ball? What if the ball bounces off the player himself then he swings and connects? (And yes I am being serious , and not trying to be silly)

Hi,

Thanks

Steve
    2006 LL Rule 1.15 (a) The pitcher's glove shall be of one solid color other than white or gray, or if multi-colored, white and light gray shall not be included in the colors.
    (b) No pitcher shall attach to the glove any foreign material of a color different from the glove. The pitcher may wear a batting glove on the non-pitching hand under the pitcher's glove provided the batting glove is not white, gray, or optic yellow.

LL majors level - Situation - Runner coming from third. Catcher with ball in glove standing on the baseline about 4-5 ft in front of the plate. Runner makes no pretense of sliding or otherwise avoiding contact, throws a block that would make a blocking back proud. Catcher holds onto the ball, but gets seriously knocked on his butt. Runner is out, but how much discretion does the ump have in what happens to the runner?

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsburg2599 View Post
    Yes.

Rule 2.00 (Foul Ball) Comment: A batted ball not touched by a fielder, which hits the pitcher’s rubber and rebounds into foul territory, between home and first, or between home and third base is a foul ball.

Quote Originally Posted by AutographCollector View Post
    Here's one that I have always wondered Bob:
    A batter swings at a ball hit in the dirt and actually connects for a hit. Is it a hit? Dead ball? What if the ball bounces off the player himself then he swings and connects? (And yes I am being serious , and not trying to be silly)
    A pitched ball is a pitched ball, it doesn't matter whether it crosses the plate on the ground or in the air. All rules that refer to a pitch apply to a pitch that bounces before it crosses the plate. It can't be a "called" strike, but it can be hit, it can be a swinging strike, or if it hits the batter, the batter is awarded first base.

A PITCH is a ball delivered to the batter by the pitcher.
    Rule 2.00 (Pitch) Comment: All other deliveries of the ball by one player to another are thrown balls.

A BALL is a pitch which does not enter the strike zone in flight and is not struck at by the batter.
    Rule 2.00 (Ball) Comment: If the pitch touches the ground and bounces through the strike zone it is a “ball.” If such a pitch touches the batter, he shall be awarded first base. If the batter swings at such a pitch after two strikes, the ball cannot be caught, for the purposes of Rule 6.05(c) and 6.09(b). If the batter hits such a pitch, the ensuing action shall be the same as if he hit the ball in flight.

IN FLIGHT describes a batted, thrown, or pitched ball which has not yet touched the ground or some object other than a fielder.

The batter becomes a runner and is entitled to first base without liability to be put out (provided he advances to and touches first base) when --
    (b) He is touched by a pitched ball which he is not attempting to hit

Blog Entries
    Had a game the other night (School ball - paid umps). Steal to second. Base umpire out of position missed the tag and looks at the HPU. HPU points to him to make the call, he obviously didn't see it. HPU points again - nothing. HPU calls the runner out.

I call time and ask the ump, "Look blue, neither of you saw the play. Why call him out?" He says, "I saw the play and called him out." Knowing what he was doing I politely said, "Good answer." Told my players after the game I had a case to make up until the HPU said he saw the play...
    Comments?

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Patterson View Post
    Had a game the other night (School ball - paid umps). Steal to second. Base umpire out of position missed the tag and looks at the HPU. HPU points to him to make the call, he obviously didn't see it. HPU points again - nothing. HPU calls the runner out.

I call time and ask the ump, "Look blue, neither of you saw the play. Why call him out?" He says, "I saw the play and called him out." Knowing what he was doing I politely said, "Good answer." Told my players after the game I had a case to make up until the HPU said he saw the play...
    Comments?

When the PU pointed BACK to the BU he is indicating that he didn't see the play either. "I saw the play and called him out" was a lie. If he saw the play, he would have made the call when the BU gave it to him the first time.

Also, Jim Booth is absolutely RIGHT ON on a bounced pitch. It's a live ball, and can be anything EXCEPT a called strike.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bbjunkie View Post
    LL majors level - Situation - Runner coming from third. Catcher with ball in glove standing on the baseline about 4-5 ft in front of the plate. Runner makes no pretense of sliding or otherwise avoiding contact, throws a block that would make a blocking back proud. Catcher holds onto the ball, but gets seriously knocked on his butt. Runner is out, but how much discretion does the ump have in what happens to the runner?
    By your description, this was MALICIOUS CONTACT. I'd bang the runner even if the catcher dropped the ball. And then I'd eject the runner.

Bob

Cool question

By your description, this was MALICIOUS CONTACT. I'd bang the runner even if the catcher dropped the ball. And then I'd eject the runner.
    Under what rulebook is the runner out if the catcher drops the ball?

Page 1 of 118 1231151101 ... LastLast