I've received permission from Bob (aka, "bluezebra") when I'd asked him to host this thread. He's been an umpire in various amateur leagues for 47 years, has watched baseball for 60 years. If you have any questions about umpiring and his thoughts on baseball, please ask in this thread.
Here are Bob's credentials:
- I began in Chicago in 1956, and continued when I moved to Southern California in 1963. Started doing Little League, like about everyone else.
- Baseball: LL, most other Youth Leagues, Parks & Rec, adult men's, American Legion, high school, etc.
- I formed a crew, and worked three of the Silver Bullets (women's team) games (first one was on ESPN) against a local men's team, at Mavericks Stadium (Class A, California League).
- Got another crew together to work an exhibition game between the Korean National Team (pre-1996 Olympics) and the Mavericks.
- Also worked a local high school All-Star Game.
- Softball: Fast pitch, Youth leagues, adult men, adult women, high school (was BU for LA City AAAA Semi-Final Game), college, Parks & Rec.
- Slow Pitch, Adult men, adult women, high school, co-ed, Parks & Rec.
- Since 1997, I keep the batting stats for the message board operator at Mavericks Stadium (re-named Stater Bros. Stadium).
- Since 2000, I write a sports column for a local weekly newspaper chain. I cover high school, community college, and the Mavericks.
Thank you in advance for your participation and encouragement.