Page 55 of 116 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 2878

Thread: Ask The Umpire

At least once every year, I get real stupid and tilt at a windmill that's been botherin’ me for many years. This year I did it by posting my question on the NFHS Official’s forum. Rather than doin’ it here too, I’ll just give the link and ya’ll can have a laugh at my expense, and even take a free shot if you like.

http://www.nfhs.org/cgi-bin/ultimate...;f=10;t=001864
    The pitcher who’s afraid to throw strikes, will soon be standing in the shower with the hitter who's afraid to swing.

Is the batter automatically out if he steps out of the batters box while swinging?

A kid on our team stepped out (backwards) on an inside pitch while swinging. He missed the ball and Blue called him out.

Is that the correct call? Can you point me to the rule?

thanks.

He has to make contact for him to be out.

Quote Originally Posted by RodCarew View Post
    Is the batter automatically out if he steps out of the batters box while swinging?

A kid on our team stepped out (backwards) on an inside pitch while swinging. He missed the ball and Blue called him out.

thanks.
    No, that's the wrong call. Rule 6.06a

6.06 A batter is out for illegal action when—
    (a) He hits a ball with one or both feet on the ground entirely outside the batter’s box.

jbooth,

I was looking for a clarification on the dropped 3rd strike rule. If I understand correctly, with less then 2 outs and no one on 1st base or 2 outs, the batter becomes a runner.

Here is the situation on need clarified. 2 outs, runner on 3rd. Catcher drops the 3rd strike. Runner on 3rd is headed home. He crosses the plate before the batter is put out. Does this run count?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HYP View Post
    jbooth,

I was looking for a clarification on the dropped 3rd strike rule. If I understand correctly, with less then 2 outs and no one on 1st base or 2 outs, the batter becomes a runner.

Here is the situation on need clarified. 2 outs, runner on 3rd. Catcher drops the 3rd strike. Runner on 3rd is headed home. He crosses the plate before the batter is put out. Does this run count?

Thanks
    NO. If the BR is put out at 1B, or there is a force out at any other base, for the 3rd out, no run may score.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by RodCarew View Post

thanks.
    Only if it were strike three. And F2 caught the ball if there were two outs.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by HYP View Post
    jbooth,

Thanks
    A dropped 3rd strike is no different from hitting a fair ball.

The batter became a runner and was put out before reaching first. No run can score in that situation. Same as if he hit a grounder to short and was thrown out.

Quote Originally Posted by jbooth View Post
    A dropped 3rd strike is no different from hitting a fair ball.

The batter became a runner and was put out before reaching first. No run can score in that situation. Same as if he hit a grounder to short and was thrown out.

That's what I thought but with all of the talk about the 4 out rule and force plays. It made me wonder.

Thanks

An ASA umpire called two batted balls in a game over the weekend foul because they hit in foul territory first; however, they settled in fair territory and were never touched in foul territory. From my understanding this is clearly a fair ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian McKenna View Post
    An ASA umpire called two batted balls in a game over the weekend foul because they hit in foul territory first; however, they settled in fair territory and were never touched in foul territory. From my understanding this is clearly a fair ball.
    Did they come into fair territory before 1st or 3rd base? If so...fair ball.

Before 1st & 3rd, it's where the ball is first touched or comes to rest. The ball can first hit foul ground and become a fair ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Macker View Post
    Before 1st & 3rd, it's where the ball is first touched or comes to rest. The ball can first hit foul ground and become a fair ball.
    Yes but it has to be in fair territory before going past the actual base(1st or 3rd).

If the ball is rolling in foul territory and rolls beyond the base in foul and then comes back into fair territory. It is a foul ball.

Have one for you guys:

passed ball and runner on 1st takes of for 2nd. ball gets behind batter when catcher picks up ball. batter doesnt move out of way and thrown ball hits batter. whats the call?

Quote Originally Posted by MEMO35 View Post
    Have one for you guys:

passed ball and runner on 1st takes of for 2nd. ball gets behind batter when catcher picks up ball. batter doesnt move out of way and thrown ball hits batter. whats the call?
    OUCH!

Sorry, I couldn't pass that one up.
    The pitcher who’s afraid to throw strikes, will soon be standing in the shower with the hitter who's afraid to swing.

Quote Originally Posted by ipitch View Post
    Did they come into fair territory before 1st or 3rd base? If so...fair ball.
    Yes - that's what I thought, thanks

I was reading the ASA manual - it said in 2006 they did away with the idea that a foul tip had to rise above the batter's head to be caught by the catcher and called an out. All that is needed is for a foul tip to have a perceptable arc - rather than sharp movement off the bat. Is this now true for baseball as well?

Blocking the plate

12 year old Little League.

Last night my runner was going home from third and there was a play at the plate but, the catcher came up the line from home plate approx. 2 or 3 feet from the plate and dropped to his knees. The ball was coming from 1st and, as mandated by the rules, my runner MUST slide into home.

Well, he slid but, not really into home. He slid into the blocking catcher who caught the ball almost instantaniously as the runner slid into him.

The ump called him out and I didn't protest but asked for clarification on the call and the ump said it was "his call", as if that's something I don't know but, I wondered about it. If the runner MUST slide into home but is prevented from doing so because of the position of the catcher, what should happen.

I think it's setting up something very dangerous in that, ok, if he must slide but can't actually reach the plate, the catcher could get a chest full of cleat or, the runner may just bowl the catcher down (illegal, I know but...) and then slide into home. Probably will be called out and warnings issued but, what's the runner to do? Can a catcher just basically lie down in front of the plate while the ball is enroute to him? Thanks.

I thought there was no must slide, but rather must avoid contact if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinos View Post

Last night my runner was going home from third and there was a play at the plate but, the catcher came up the line from home plate approx. 2 or 3 feet from the plate and dropped to his knees. The ball was coming from 1st and, as mandated by the rules, my runner MUST slide into home.

Well, he slid but, not really into home. He slid into the blocking catcher who caught the ball almost instantaniously as the runner slid into him.

The ump called him out and I didn't protest but asked for clarification on the call and the ump said it was "his call", as if that's something I don't know but, I wondered about it. If the runner MUST slide into home but is prevented from doing so because of the position of the catcher, what should happen.

I think it's setting up something very dangerous in that, ok, if he must slide but can't actually reach the plate, the catcher could get a chest full of cleat or, the runner may just bowl the catcher down (illegal, I know but...) and then slide into home. Probably will be called out and warnings issued but, what's the runner to do? Can a catcher just basically lie down in front of the plate while the ball is enroute to him? Thanks.
    There is no must slide rule in Little League. And if the catcher is blocking the base without possession of the ball it is obstruction.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian McKenna View Post
    I was reading the ASA manual - it said in 2006 they did away with the idea that a foul tip had to rise above the batter's head to be caught by the catcher and called an out. All that is needed is for a foul tip to have a perceptable arc - rather than sharp movement off the bat. Is this now true for baseball as well?
    A FOUL TIP goes sharply to the catcher. A FOUL BALL used to have to rise above the batter's head. You're getting the rule bass ackwards.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinos View Post

"Can a catcher just basically lie down in front of the plate while the ball is enroute to him? Thanks."

Of course he CAN, but he is inviting serious injury. But, by rule, he MAY not, or be guilty of obstruction.

Bob

Foul Tips

Not sure if this is the right forum however I have a question regarding foul tips. Twice today in the Braves v Mets game the batter tipped the ball into the catcher's glove and I asked my wife why the batter was not out....the ball hit the bat and was caught by the catcher. She stated that it had to go over the catcher's head to be given out???

Why is it that a foul tip is not given out, the ball having been hit by the batter (albeit just a tip) and caught by the catcher?
    "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DownUnderDodger View Post
    Not sure if this is the right forum however I have a question regarding foul tips. Twice today in the Braves v Mets game the batter tipped the ball into the catcher's glove and I asked my wife why the batter was not out....the ball hit the bat and was caught by the catcher. She stated that it had to go over the catcher's head to be given out???

Why is it that a foul tip is not given out, the ball having been hit by the batter (albeit just a tip) and caught by the catcher?
    A third strike foul tip into the glove is an out. I'll move this to Ask the Umpire. those guys will get you the specific rule.
    "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
    - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Patterson View Post
    A third strike foul tip into the glove is an out. I'll move this to Ask the Umpire. those guys will get you the specific rule.
    Thanks....my wife said that I cannot understand the reasoning that it applies only on the 3rd strike. A hit is a hit in my opinion! I look forward to the Umpires ruling with an explanation of the rule!!
    "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Page 55 of 116 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast