Thread: True to the movie?

True to the movie?

Obviously, since "League of their Own", interest in the AAGPBL grew. There are many, like me, who wanted to learn a lot about the league...hence my "Don't Hang Me" thread which got the ball rolling.

I've been looking through the links that have been left in this forum and they've been great. My question now is: How true was the movie to the actual events? I know that some names were changed...but whatelse, if anything, was changed and ventured away from the actual events?

Good to see the posts in here!
    Maybe this *could* be the year??

Quote Originally Posted by nmgirl98
    Obviously, since "League of their Own", interest in the AAGPBL grew. There are many, like me, who wanted to learn a lot about the league...hence my "Don't Hang Me" thread which got the ball rolling.

I've been looking through the links that have been left in this forum and they've been great. My question now is: How true was the movie to the actual events? I know that some names were changed...but whatelse, if anything, was changed and ventured away from the actual events?

Good to see the posts in here!
    All the characters were fictional, of course. But as far as the game goes, one thing the movie changes (as I posted in another thread) was that the girls of the AAGPBL never played regulation baseball. When they began play, they pitched underhand, using a larger ball, and ran basepaths that were 65' long. They gradually moved to regulation baseball rules in many respects, but when the league folded after the 1954 season the bases were still only 85' apart.

List of AAGPBL rules here:

http://www.aagpbl.org/league/rules.cfm

One of my favorite examples of how they changed fact into fiction was with Jimmy Dugan, played by Hanks. His real-life counterpart was the hall of famer Jimmy Foxx, who did actually manage in the league. It was fun to compare his actual stats with those given in the movie.

I also purchased the screenplay off of ebay. It was an early draft, but I can tell it's authentic based upon the deleted scenes now provided on DVD. It was amazing how much the story changed before it hit the screen. Most notably, the reconciliation scene at the end of the game where Dottie and Kit meet near the locker rooms, that wasn't in the original draft.

Towards the end of the movie, after the 7th game of the championship had ended, Tom Hanks and Geena Davis were talking outside the ballpark and Hanks mentioned that he'd been offered a managing job in Wichita. Geena Davis seemed impressed and said "Not bad, Triple-A" except that Minor League Baseball did not have a Class AAA level until 1946 (the movie takes place in 1943) and Wichita didn't even have a Class AAA team until well into the 1950's. Seems like there was no reason to vary from the historical facts at that part of the movie but the producers felt the need to do so anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by poor_rockies_fan
    One of my favorite examples of how they changed fact into fiction was with Jimmy Dugan, played by Hanks. His real-life counterpart was the hall of famer Jimmy Foxx, who did actually manage in the league. It was fun to compare his actual stats with those given in the movie.

I also purchased the screenplay off of ebay. It was an early draft, but I can tell it's authentic based upon the deleted scenes now provided on DVD. It was amazing how much the story changed before it hit the screen. Most notably, the reconciliation scene at the end of the game where Dottie and Kit meet near the locker rooms, that wasn't in the original draft.
    Any signatures on the screenplay?

While the players were fictional, a lot of them, just like Jimmy Dugan being based on Double X, were based on actual players.
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin JEDI

161st St & River Ave (by way of Northern NJ)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shoeless1920
    Towards the end of the movie, after the 7th game of the championship had ended, Tom Hanks and Geena Davis were talking outside the ballpark and Hanks mentioned that he'd been offered a managing job in Wichita. Geena Davis seemed impressed and said "Not bad, Triple-A" except that Minor League Baseball did not have a Class AAA level until 1946 (the movie takes place in 1943) and Wichita didn't even have a Class AAA team until well into the 1950's. Seems like there was no reason to vary from the historical facts at that part of the movie but the producers felt the need to do so anyway.
    Either that or perhaps they just didn't have a fact checker who could verify this. I'm presuming the latter.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Quote Originally Posted by shoeless1920
    Seems like there was no reason to vary from the historical facts at that part of the movie but the producers felt the need to do so anyway.
    Not likely that the error was intentional "for artistic reasons" in this case. It's likely that the ending was revised on the set, so it's much more likely that this is a matter of not checking out the facts in their usual manner.

Blog Entries
    "All the characters were fictional, of course."

Were some of the characters composites? Geena Davis' character, "Dotty", did have a character named Dorothy in the real league. I think she was a first basemen who hit a lot of homers, but I could be wrong.

Anyone clarify for me?

Bill Burgess
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 07-11-2005 at 02:09 PM.

Geena Davis' charachter was based on Dottie Kamensky, who I believe was also a catcher.
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 04-22-2006 at 01:46 PM.
    "Straight ball I hit it very much, curveball, bats are afraid"

The Geena Davis' charachter was actually based on a couple different girls from the league. I know Dorthy was a 1stbasemen, not sure how many times she may have been a catcher.

Truths

Male managers did not go in the locker room and Jimmie Foxx was not a drunk and he a complete gentleman with the women!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by carol sheldon
    Male managers did not go in the locker room and Jimmie Foxx was not a drunk and he a complete gentleman with the women!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't speak on his interactions with women, but I thought Foxx was well-known for his drinking?

Here's an interesting article discussing some of the finer points of the film:
    http://espn.go.com/page2/s/closer/020511.html

It's pretty cool now because you can still go to the ballparks where they filmed the movie. The Peaches' ballpark is somewhere in Georgia I think. But the Racine team's park is in Evansville, Indiana and all the logos and signs used in the movie are still there. If you're on a trip through southern Indiana, it's worth a stop.

Quote Originally Posted by william_burgess@usa.net
    "All the characters were fictional, of course."

Were some of the characters composites? Geena Davis' character, "Dotty", did have a character named Dorothy in the real league. I think she was a first basemen who hit a lot of homers, but I could be wrong.

Anyone clarify for me?

Bill Burgess
    ALL of the characters are composites. There are MANY Dorothy/Dotties in the League.

Quote Originally Posted by tmorss9
    Geena Davis' charachter was based on Dottie Kamensky, who I believe was also a catcher.
    Dottie "Kammie" Kamenshek was a first baseman for the Rockford Peaches, one of the best players ever in the League. She had nothing to do with "Dottie Hinson" in the movie. Nothing to do with "Helen", the Peaches 1st baseman in the movie, either. Kammie is the AAGPBL player referred to as the "female Ted Williams".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 4 1
    Dottie "Kammie" Kamenshek was a first baseman for the Rockford Peaches, one of the best players ever in the League. She had nothing to do with "Dottie Hinson" in the movie. Nothing to do with "Helen", the Peaches 1st baseman in the movie, either. Kammie is the AAGPBL player referred to as the "female Ted Williams".
    Wow! Thanks a lot. Good research. Give us more!

Bill

Phillip K. Wrigley never attended a single game.
    The Cuervo Gold, the fine Columbian, make tonight a wonderful thing.

Quote Originally Posted by SoxSon
    I can't speak on his interactions with women, but I thought Foxx was well-known for his drinking?
    Whether any of the managers were drunks or not is more left up to the imagination. All the players ever stated was that they didn't show up on the field drunk. So, if they were, they at least sobered up enough fo the games.

NotAboutEgo Guest
    I have spoken with someone who recently received his Master's Degree in film, and he said that writers write screen plays, then the producers and directors get a hold of them and they rarely turn out how the writers intended them to be. He said they change so much of them and that writers are seen as the bottom of the barrel. Knowing this, it doesn't surprise me at all that so much of the movie is fictitious and that there are many inconsistencies with the actual facts of what took place.

Foxx

Quote Originally Posted by SoxSon
    This info was given to me first hand by women in the league. He did not drink around the women while he was coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by SoxSon View Post
    I know he drank but he was never drunk around the women and certainly not at their games.

Stupid question :)

Does anyone know if the screenwriter's or movie directors "purposely" had geena davis hold the ball in her barehand while blocking homeplate when kit knocked her into the backstop during the 7th game of the world series? If yes, probably done to show as a dramatic moment and little Sis triumphing over big Sis.

Saw the movie the first time at the age of 16 and was livid that she held the ball in her barehand outside of her mitt while blocking the plate. Unless I am wrong and mitts in those days had to be used like that cause they dont wrap around the ball the way modern designs do. Any old school catcher's in the house can answer my question?

Ball in hand for drama to let sister win?

Quote Originally Posted by captlid View Post
    Does anyone know if the screenwriter's or movie directors "purposely" had geena davis hold the ball in her barehand while blocking homeplate when kit knocked her into the backstop during the 7th game of the world series? If yes, probably done to show as a dramatic moment and little Sis triumphing over big Sis.

Saw the movie the first time at the age of 16 and was livid that she held the ball in her barehand outside of her mitt while blocking the plate. Unless I am wrong and mitts in those days had to be used like that cause they dont wrap around the ball the way modern designs do. Any old school catcher's in the house can answer my question?
    I think it was more for dramatic purposes. I have also always believed that she wanted her little sister to win. She could have been holding the ball in her hand on purpose to make it more likely she would drop it?

Folks... come on....

it was a Hollywood movie.

Of course every aspect was exaggerated for entertainment purposes but the theory behind it is and always was true... women took the place of the men during the war, including baseball. Other than that, the rest is Hollywood glamor.