X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 2 4 1
    • May 2006

Originally posted by tmorss9
    Geena Davis' charachter was based on Dottie Kamensky, who I believe was also a catcher.
    Dottie "Kammie" Kamenshek was a first baseman for the Rockford Peaches, one of the best players ever in the League. She had nothing to do with "Dottie Hinson" in the movie. Nothing to do with "Helen", the Peaches 1st baseman in the movie, either. Kammie is the AAGPBL player referred to as the "female Ted Williams".

Comment

• Bill Burgess
      • Oct 2003

Originally posted by 2 4 1
      Dottie "Kammie" Kamenshek was a first baseman for the Rockford Peaches, one of the best players ever in the League. She had nothing to do with "Dottie Hinson" in the movie. Nothing to do with "Helen", the Peaches 1st baseman in the movie, either. Kammie is the AAGPBL player referred to as the "female Ted Williams".
      Wow! Thanks a lot. Good research. Give us more!

Bill

Comment

• runningshoes
        Saw Yaz launch one in '78
        • Aug 2005

Phillip K. Wrigley never attended a single game.
        "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
        Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

• 5LilPlayers
          • Jun 2006

Originally posted by SoxSon
          I can't speak on his interactions with women, but I thought Foxx was well-known for his drinking?
          Whether any of the managers were drunks or not is more left up to the imagination. All the players ever stated was that they didn't show up on the field drunk. So, if they were, they at least sobered up enough fo the games.
          "There is no logical reason why girls shouldn't play baseball. It's not that tough. Not as tough as radio and TV announcers make it out to be ... Some can play better than a lot of guys who've been on that field." ~ Hank Aaron

"Hitting is timing. Pitching is upsetting timing." ~ Warren Spahn

Comment

• NotAboutEgo

I have spoken with someone who recently received his Master's Degree in film, and he said that writers write screen plays, then the producers and directors get a hold of them and they rarely turn out how the writers intended them to be. He said they change so much of them and that writers are seen as the bottom of the barrel. Knowing this, it doesn't surprise me at all that so much of the movie is fictitious and that there are many inconsistencies with the actual facts of what took place.

Comment

• csheldon25
              • Jan 2006

Foxx

Originally posted by SoxSon
              I can't speak on his interactions with women, but I thought Foxx was well-known for his drinking?
              This info was given to me first hand by women in the league. He did not drink around the women while he was coaching.

Comment

• carol sheldon
                • Oct 2005

Originally posted by SoxSon View Post
                I know he drank but he was never drunk around the women and certainly not at their games.

Comment

• captlid
                  • Apr 2007

Stupid question

Does anyone know if the screenwriter's or movie directors "purposely" had geena davis hold the ball in her barehand while blocking homeplate when kit knocked her into the backstop during the 7th game of the world series? If yes, probably done to show as a dramatic moment and little Sis triumphing over big Sis.

Saw the movie the first time at the age of 16 and was livid that she held the ball in her barehand outside of her mitt while blocking the plate. Unless I am wrong and mitts in those days had to be used like that cause they dont wrap around the ball the way modern designs do. Any old school catcher's in the house can answer my question? :o

Comment

• chittybang
                    • Apr 2008

Ball in hand for drama to let sister win?

Originally posted by captlid View Post
                    Does anyone know if the screenwriter's or movie directors "purposely" had geena davis hold the ball in her barehand while blocking homeplate when kit knocked her into the backstop during the 7th game of the world series? If yes, probably done to show as a dramatic moment and little Sis triumphing over big Sis.

Saw the movie the first time at the age of 16 and was livid that she held the ball in her barehand outside of her mitt while blocking the plate. Unless I am wrong and mitts in those days had to be used like that cause they dont wrap around the ball the way modern designs do. Any old school catcher's in the house can answer my question? :o
                    I think it was more for dramatic purposes. I have also always believed that she wanted her little sister to win. She could have been holding the ball in her hand on purpose to make it more likely she would drop it?

Comment

• JeepingBaseball
                      Ms. Mets
                      • Jan 2006

Folks... come on....

it was a Hollywood movie.

Of course every aspect was exaggerated for entertainment purposes but the theory behind it is and always was true... women took the place of the men during the war, including baseball. Other than that, the rest is Hollywood glamor.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X