Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sicks' Stadium / Sick's Stadium

Blog Entries
    Joe Martial, Long time grounds keeper at Sicks Stadium

Last edited by Rennie Stennett; 03-20-2006 at 12:26 PM. Reason: wrong year

Blog Entries

I would rather go to a game in a grand old stadium like sick's than any of the generic ball parks that exist today.

Sicks' Seattle Stadium Slide Show

A neat slide show to the tune of 'Go, Go, You Pilots' is at the following web site:
    http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...eattle+stadium
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tailwind Tommy; 11-12-2008 at 03:32 PM. Reason: editing photos

Thanks for sharing that link! I enjoyed the photos (although some of the photos of Sicks Stadium in disrepair were sad) and also got a big kick out of the reference to the Senators in the song.
    "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

In 1978 (ironically my family was going to the Kingdome to see the Mariners play Rod Carew and the Twins on a beautiful sunny day) my dad took the wrong exit and we ended up driving past Sicks Stadium.I remember how tall the grass was in the outfield.Question, the bleachers down the first and third baselines ..how were they built? Concrete , metal or wood bleachers.

Boy, that's a song I haven't been able to get out of my head for the last 37 going on 38 years now. I think it was written by Rod Belcher. I remember that old Pilots' sign that used to sit out front of the stadium years after the Pilots left. Wonder what ever happened to it? I'd sure love to get ahold of it.

Bleacher Seats Located!

Headline News: Sicks’ Seattle Stadium Salvaged!

Growden Memorial Park in Fairbanks Alaska, home of the Goldpanners, include box seats and grandstand benching from Sick's Stadium, Seattle, home of the old Seattle Rainiers minor league team and the 1969 Seattle Pilots major league team.

Pacific Raceways (used to be called Seattle International Raceway installed new, modern aluminum bleachers that hold 11,500 reserved seats which replaced temporary grandstands that, in turn were needed when bleachers from Sicks’ Stadium finally wore out (don’t have any idea how they were disposed of).

Nat Bailey Stadium in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, home of the Canadians, includes the original scoreboard and lights from Sicks'.

After the demolition of Sicks’ Stadium in February 1979, the CX Corporation moved to the site. Subsequently Eagle Hardware opened in this Rainier Avenue location, and today Lowe’s Hardware operates there.

The City of Seattle maintains a Cumulative Reserve Fund (CRF) for major maintenance needs; it cannot be used to fund operations. The CRF was begun with the proceeds from the sale of Sicks’.

Back in Pullman Washington, Chuck Brayton orchestrated the building of Bailey Field in the late ’70s. After problems at the old place (located where Mooberry track is now) with players hitting line drives into the “Lake de Puddle” center field, Bobo knew it was time to rebuild.
    First, he raided the torn-down parts of Sick’s Seattle Stadium, including bleachers and foul poles, and sold them in a fundraiser-—but kept a few bits for the WSU field. “The first fence at Bailey field was from Sicks' Stadium,” he says.

By the way, I do believe those bleachers were wooden. I was wondering what happened to the bases and homeplate. If anyone else can contribute information on other Sicks' items still in existence and their whereabouts, that would be newsworthy.
    Last edited by Tailwind Tommy; 11-12-2008 at 03:46 PM. Reason: editing photos

Bleachers Seats, Lights and Scoreboard Found

Bleacher seats located at Growden Park, Alaska (Link):

http://www.geocities.com/shoeless_60067/Panners.html

Sicks' Stadium Lights and Scoreboard located at Nat Bailey Stadium, Vancouver B.C. (Link):

http://natnotes.com/2007/05/22/the-n...e-is-underway/
    Last edited by Tailwind Tommy; 11-12-2008 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Editing photos

Yes and what a wonderful picture it is. Thanks for that little history tour Tailwind. Excellent information!

Seattle Pilots: The First Voyage

The Seattle Pilots only existing video (in two parts) can be viewed on youtube (Links):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=c7tmAJ9gkKI

http://youtube.com/watch?v=x6VscA1D3...elated&search=

and...

"The First Voyage" can also be viewed on the Seattle Channel (Link):

http://www.seattlechannel.org/videos...asp?ID=4030722
    Last edited by Tailwind Tommy; 11-12-2008 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Editing photos

I believe Hovley's nickname was Orbit.

Quote Originally Posted by skeletor View Post
    and don't forget Don Mincher, and the team's resident hipster and hippie,
    Steve Holvey ..aka tennis ball..a great flake..and ended up doing a tour
    with the brewers..as they were mutanting from the pilots..

good to see there's still great interest in the Pilots threads..over 155 posts!
    and some darn gooooooood ones,at that ! and in the words of Joe Schutz
    the first mgr...'pound that Budweiser'

What Sicks' Stadium should have been like

Here's a little update on Nat Bailey Stadium in Vancouver - now the home of the Oakland Athletics Class A farm team. Just think what Sicks' Seattle Stadium would've looked like if renovated like Nat Bailey. It's ashame to hear that the "historic scoreboard" was taken down. This is a piece of MAJOR LEAGUE history, salvaged from Sicks Stadium, the former home of the Seattle Pilots.

Nat Bailey Stadium’s hand-operated scoreboard will be gone before Vancouver Canadians’ June 19 season opener. A new ground level, hand-operated unit is being embedded in the fence as part of stadium-wide renovations.
    The 12-foot by 45-foot scoreboard was born in Sick’s Seattle Stadium. It was used during Seattle Pilots’ only American League season in 1969. It moved to Nat Bailey in 1978. Canadians’ vice-president Delany Dunn hopes to sell it as a charity fundraiser. "It’s going to benefit Little League to some degree and we’re going to honour the heritage of that scoreboard," Dunn said.
    Society of American Baseball Research member Dave Eskenazi of Seattle said the ideal home would be Safeco Field’s new museum. A Lowe’s home improvement store is on the site of Sick’s Seattle Stadium, which opened in 1938 but was demolished in 1979.

Well, at least Nat Bailey Stadium still has Sicks' lights.

Thus far it took a million to 1.5 million dollars for this upgrade so far. Just think what Sicks' would've looked like!

Here's a reference on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBc_Y0xHTR8
    Last edited by Tailwind Tommy; 11-12-2008 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Editing photos

Sicks Stadium

Here is a seating diagram of sicks stadium from 1969
    LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

1969 Radio Team

Here are the voices of the 1969 Seattle Pilots and Sicks Stadium.
    LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

Birds' Boog Flys Around Bases

Seattle Endures A 6.4 Magnitude Earthquake!

Sicks' Seattle Stadium shakes when six-foot, four-inch, 250-pound Boog Powell legs out an inside-the-park homer (his 33rd of the season) in the 9th inning against ex-teammate Steve Barber on August 16, 1969. The ball caromed off the center field wall and bounded away from the fielders. The sight of the 247-pound Powell careening around the bases is one to remember. The slow-footed Powell’s rare use of speed helps the Orioles to a 15-3 win over the Seattle Pilots.

Game Played on Saturday, August 16, 1969 (N) at Sicks’ Seattle Stadium
    BAL A 0 0 2 3 0 5 2 1 2 - 15 15 0
    SEA A 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 - 3 7 0
    Last edited by Tailwind Tommy; 12-11-2015 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Editing photos

Sicks Stadium

scorecard from 1969
    you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
    http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

i'd have prefered Sick's etc. stabnding..but what use are you going to have? They had the Kingdome at the time of demolition (1979)...

Where was Sicks at? I was born in the Seattle area, lived there for 29 years but never did see where it was...
    WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Blog Entries

Talking Garlic Gulch

Quote Originally Posted by Zito75 View Post
    Where was Sicks at? I was born in the Seattle area, lived there for 29 years but never did see where it was...
    Basically, Sicks was located at South McClellan St and Rainier Avenue South with Martin Luther King Way South (formally Empire Way South) [SR 900] running parallel to Rainier Avenue on the back side. It's in the Rainier Valley area of Seattle. SE from Downtown Seattle.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast