Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Scoreboards

Quote Originally Posted by StanTheMan View Post
    Indeed.

And a great explanation/accompanying photos. I have been to RFK and had no idea the real reason behind the unique upper deck/roof. Makes perfect sense, and the photo with RFK in the distance is excellent.
    it wasn't a "dip" behind the plate, upper deck was deeper behind 1st and 3rd.
    didn't count the rows when i was there, but the outfield area was the same depth.
    it seems to work for esthetic reasons and the baseball layout.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    the turd in the punchbowl
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul W View Post
    it wasn't a "dip" behind the plate, upper deck was deeper behind 1st and 3rd.
    didn't count the rows when i was there, but the outfield area was the same depth.
    it seems to work for esthetic reasons and the baseball layout.

Did someone else post that the dip was behind the plate? Is the above for them? The roof does indeed dip down, lower profile, less height (whatever you want to call it) behind the plate.
    Last edited by StanTheMan; 01-22-2012 at 03:19 PM.
    "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

How about an 1890 patent with sketches of electric scoreboard prototypes! Interesting stuff indeed.

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...x?lotid=117487

Amazing find, Alpine. Thanks.

Those are amazing. Even an out-of-town scoreboard!

Does it list a patent number on it? I'd like to look up the pdf of the whole document on the Patent Office website.
    mjrbaseball

Now batting ... the center fielder ... number 7 ... Mickey ... Mantle ... number 7.  

Quote Originally Posted by mjrbaseball View Post
    Those are amazing. Even an out-of-town scoreboard!

Does it list a patent number on it? I'd like to look up the pdf of the whole document on the Patent Office website.
    Well, here's the third photo from the source, but hard to read much detail in that letter; the patent was granted to Samuel D. Mott, with a little more info on the auction description as linked previous, and here again below.

Those are absolute perfection.
    "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Just asking those of you who follow this thread ... If you see good scoreboard pics in any of the other threads (either modern or older ballparks), can you re-post them here so we can keep our collection growing? People often shoot post-game photos of the boards, or sometimes there are good images in the backgrounds of player photos.

Thanks!
    mjrbaseball

Now batting ... the center fielder ... number 7 ... Mickey ... Mantle ... number 7.  

Here's a repost, has been in the County Stadium thread for a while, but I haven't seen it here, and for my money, one of the best color classic scoreboard shots that exist. '57 Series.

Largest size

http://www.flickr.com/photos/krispics/79227642/

Quote Originally Posted by alpineinc View Post
    Here's a repost, has been in the County Stadium thread for a while, but I haven't seen it here, and for my money, one of the best color classic scoreboard shots that exist. '57 Series.
    I keep hoping someone will bring back the old Longines clock at one or more of the current ballparks. I always thought they added a nice touch of class...

Quote Originally Posted by HollandsComet View Post
    I keep hoping someone will bring back the old Longines clock at one or more of the current ballparks. I always thought they added a nice touch of class...
    those clocks were sales devises then.
    mechanical devises like these are too expensive these days and wouldn't appeal to the apple zombe generation...
    Last edited by Paul W; 01-20-2012 at 06:52 PM.
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

Lotta loudspeaker horns to get the message across in this Redland/Crosley shot from 1932-1934.

Last edited by alpineinc; 01-20-2012 at 07:24 PM.

Speaking of Cincy, this is pretty neat. 9/27/1968, and the Reds are already prepared for expansion the following year, with "'69" listed for the new clubs already. And it looks like the $100 bonus for hitting the sausage ad is not extended to the visitors.

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...x?lotid=115628
    Last edited by alpineinc; 01-20-2012 at 07:48 PM.

Speaking of Cincy, this is pretty neat. 9/27/1968, and the Reds are already prepared for expansion the following year, with "'69" listed for the new clubs already.
    That is awesome! I love it!
    X
    This is home now - Citi Field, capacity 41,800 - and every seat in this ballpark seemingly filled, some standees as well, anticipating a piece of history as delivered by Mike Pelfrey, the 25-year-old from Wichita, Kansas. Into a windup, his first pitch in the history of Citi Field, a fastball for a called strike to Jody Gerut. Gerut off to a .214 start with no homers and one RBI. - Howie Rose calls the very first pitch thrown at Citi Field, April 13, 2009

Here's a scoreboard comparison at Crosley between 1967 and 1968. Images staggered to line the scoreboards up horizontally.

"National" and "American" removed, and the stats headers just moved up, but looks like the top score areas in each column do not have actual manual openings to change letters/numbers yet - looks like the '69 teams are just painted on the big board at this point.

All sponsors are the same except for David's Buffet - and whoever gets that lower left ad get the bonus of "It's A Hit" as well, lighting up on every official scorer's decision.

Larger size

Here's a scoreboard comparison at Crosley between 1967 and 1968. Images staggered to line the scoreboards up horizontally.

"National" and "American" removed, and the stats headers just moved up, but looks like the top score areas in each column do not have actual manual openings to change letters/numbers yet - looks like the '69 teams are just painted on the big board at this point.

All sponsors are the same except for David's Buffet - and whoever gets that lower left ad get the bonus of "It's A Hit" as well, lighting up on every official scorer's decision.

Larger size
    The above right photo is from Friday, September 27, 1968, during the final series of the season (the Giants would win a 15-inning marathon 3-2). The expansion teams apparently weren't there the whole season, however, the one below is from Sunday, June 9 during a doubleheader (Cards 10-8, Reds 7-6 in 12). No expansion teams there, and the league names are red and green instead of yellow as they were in 1967.

BTW, the top left photo is from a Sunday, July 30, 1967 doubleheader (Cubs 8-4, Reds 3-2). ... I also just noticed that for the out-of-town scores, the inning numbers are not centered, but move up and down to designate top or bottom of the inning.
    Last edited by mjrbaseball; 01-21-2012 at 03:39 PM.
    mjrbaseball

How about an 1890 patent with sketches of electric scoreboard prototypes! Interesting stuff indeed.

This reminds me of what they had in the movie 8 men out when people weren't at the game in person.
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

out of town scoreboard showing football information

here is a football stadium showing the out of town scores
    in what was the new meadowland stadium,
    now officially call Met Life Stadium and

in 2012 it will unofficially be called GIANT STADIUM
    IMG_0814--nfl_medium_540_360.jpg
    and a photo of the shea stadium scoreboard
    showing the score of the ny jets football game (lower right)

photo credit for shea scoreboard=gary dunaier flickr.com
    Last edited by drdg; 01-22-2012 at 10:13 PM.

Wow

talk about a wow factor
    the baseball scoreboards went from having basic information
    history here
    http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/58720
    to a new HD video screen like the one in texas
    that can show a live portion, a recorded portion,a grahic portion
    and give you the line score all in one
    like 4 screens in one and picture in picture and ads
    Last edited by drdg; 02-26-2012 at 10:18 PM.

Maybe I am getting old, but I don't see any "wow factor". That presentation seems to be more of a distraction than an enhancement. (And the P.A. announcer is way over the top.)

I miss Bob Sheppard.
    Last edited by mjrbaseball; 02-27-2012 at 03:03 PM.
    mjrbaseball

oops double post
    Last edited by mjrbaseball; 02-27-2012 at 03:00 PM.
    mjrbaseball

Maybe I am getting old, but I don't see any "wow factor". That presentation seems to be more of a distraction than an enhancement. (And the P.A. announcer is way over the top.)

I miss Bob Sheppard.
    well said!
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

Here's a preview image of the new scoreboard coming to Comerica Park for the 2012 season:
    Tigers_500.jpg

Suggested guidelines:

The line score of the game in progress must be the most prominent feature of the scoreboard, and must remain visible from 5 minutes before the scheduled first pitch until 15 minutes following the end of the game. The number of the player at bat, along with the ball-strike-out count, must be displayed in an area adjacent to the line score.
    mjrbaseball

I miss Bob Sheppard.
    I agree. I think the scoreboard shown earlier in the thread from Milwaukee County Stadium in 1957 was better than any of the new digital boards.

Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast