Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Scoreboards

Quote Originally Posted by 2Chance View Post
    The one at Comerica was the biggest at the time it was constructed. Don't know how long that lasted, and just being the biggest isn't anything to be proud of, any more than having a carousel.

Here's that behemoth from underneath:
    That claim was always a joke. The structure was perhaps the biggest, but the actual scoreboard was and is pretty small by comparative standards.

These are mostly images I have previously posted in other threads, but are all appropriate for this great new topic:

These are my recreations of the main and auxilliary scoreboards at Yankee Stadium during the 1960's. I originally created these as improvements to the ones that were made for the Yankee Stadium model by Bauer Diamonds.

An interesting bit of low-tech trivia: in order to show which team was at bat, the team names signs would rotate with the name of the batting team indicated in RED.
    This was seen on both field-level boards as well on the main scoreboard in both the line score and the batting order sections (My main scoreboard illustration is therefore wrong for showing the Yanks at bat as it was created way before my research was complete).

Finally, here is a photo of Mickey Mantle at bat on August 28th, 1966 against the Tigers taken by my father. The massive Stadium scoreboard looms like a gigantic computer in right-center and if you can just barely make out the "Yanks" and "New York" being darker (red) on all the boards to show they are at bat.

Dennis
    BrooklynDodger14
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by brooklyndodger14; 06-06-2007 at 04:20 AM. Reason: forgot signature

Those are fabulous pictures of the old yankee stadium scoreboard C60

Quote Originally Posted by KingNothing13 View Post
    How about pics from inside the manual scoreboards?

I have seen Fenway many times, but never inside the one in Wrigley.

inside of wrigley scoreboard

Great photos from inside the Wrigley scoreboard.
    Lets get Eddie Basinski elected to the Polish Sports Hall of Fame.
    www.brooklyndodgermemories.com

Great photos from inside the Wrigley scoreboard.
    Very cool pics. I wonder how hot it gets in there in the summer.

i heard that it gets extremely hot and stuffy on hot and humid days.

I'm not trying to sell any of this stuff, but thought it was interesting when I was Googling something else that these came up. They're selling replicas of bygone scoreboards & clocks. Apparently somebody knows that these things are of interest to a certain segment of the population.

Polo Grounds

Ebbets Field

Crosley Field

Sportsman's Park

There are a couple more, but you get the idea.

Hey, wait a minute.....is is ALWAYS ten after ten?
    "Someone asked me if I took steroids. I said, 'No. I had a contract with Wheaties.'"
    --Bob Feller

Here are a couple of unusual views of the scoreboard at Comerica Park, taken the first Saturday of this month:

...and the second one.

I never got why the Comerica Park scoreboard was obstructed by the corner of the third base upper deck.

Which scoreboard is farthest from home plate? I'd hazard a guess that nobody's ever going to hit the main board at Dolphin Stadium. Some of my favorites are AT&T Park, Coors Field, Citizens Bank, and some others, especially the ones where they make the scoreboard structure interesting too, not like at Safeco where it's just sorta there.

I think every park's out of town scoreboard should show all the games all the time. The new one at the Jake only shows I think 2 games at a time. The best out of town scoreboard is probably PNC, where they show live game situations for every game

Alright, here are pictures of the scoreboards in St. Louis - here is a picture from Busch Memorial Stadium:

Believe it or not, this was one of the few manually-set scoreboards, the others being Fenway, Wrigley, Dolphin, and other ballparks to name.

Now, here is the main scoreboard from Busch Stadium III, and it's hard to see from this shot. It's from the first game ever at new Busch Stadium:

And who could forget this scoreboard? It's the classical manual scoreboard from none other than Wrigley Field:

Last edited by Solair Wright; 08-31-2007 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by POLO GROUNDS 1957 View Post
    Here is a photo from 1956 showing the left field scoreboard at the polo grounds. you can also see the cigarette box ad next to the scoreboard.
    Interesting that Mays was dropped to 6th in the order.

Here is the scoreboard from Colt Stadium in Houston before the Astrodome was built.

Here is the 474 foot long, four story tall Astrodome scoreboard that featured 50,000 lights. It remained from 1965-1988 until a seating expansion caused the removal of it and a new, but smaller system was placed.

Okay...I'll put up something from the south side of Chicago...

...this is the current scoreboard from "The Cell"...it's inspired from the old exploding scoreboards from the Old Comiskey Park. The pinwheels on the top of the board are similar to the attachments from the old park...specifically from the early 80's until Old Comiskey was torn down in the early 90's.

Personally, I'd like to see the TV screen enlarged. But for now, it's pretty cool.
    Follow me on Facebook, or Twitter.

If you love your freedom, thank a vet...and this 10-year U.S. Army vet says, "You're welcome.".

Here's what the scoreboards looked like after the original Astrodome scoreboard was replaced. There was a board in the left field upper deck and a video screen on the right field side. There was a second video screen behind third base in the upper deck as well, making the Dome the first stadium to have two video screens. The second photo shows the scoreboard in use in 2005 when Hurricane Katrina evacuees from New Orleans were at the Astrodome.

The scoreboard at Oriole Park (thanks to the great Eric Pastore of Digital Ballparks):

In a tribute to Ebbets Field (but of course!), the "T" and "H" of "The Sun" banner at the top of the board light up to indicate a hit or an error.

Here's a close up of the scoreboard during a rather--ahem--infamous event:

As an Orioles fan, may I be the first to say, "OWWW!!! OWWW!!! OWWW!!!"

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/188205..._shouldnt_run/

Here is the scoreboard/video screen at Minute Maid Park. Some of the old animations that were once used in the Astrodome such as "Chester Charge" and the home run spectacular have been recreated and still in use.

Half of the new HD video board in right field at Dolphin Stadium. I don't know what they were showing with the newspaper shot but the new boards are crystal clear and huge. The main board (50 x 140 feet) is in right field, and there's a smaller (50 x 100) video board behind third base (the football endzones). The boards were upgraded before the 2006 season, and during the 2006 season a ribbon board was installed all the way around the entire stadium, which is 2,105 feet long. The new boards done for Super Bowl XLI in January of this year, and they're part of a ongoing renovation project that will result in the Marlins being kicked out in 2010 if they don't have a stadium deal.

1997 2003
    Parks I've visited: 30 for 30, plus 5 closed

The County Stadium scoreboard, featuring the legendary (in my opinion, anyway) animatron black-and-orange video capability:

I recently saw a picture of the Shea Stadium scoreboard under construction. The scoreboard/message board part had been installed, but the ads in the upper corners and the center where the Mets logo would be were not up yet. Can anyone post a copy of that photo here? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesteve32 View Post
    That picture must be 1970 or earlier since the person in the fungo circle is on the Angels with the halo topped caps. The Angels removed the halo after the 1970 season.
    The scoreboard says Royals rather than A's, so the picture couldn't have been taken before 1969. So it's either '69 or '70...
    Last edited by Danielh41; 09-20-2007 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Insert picture

My guess is 1970, because of the ad proclaiming Skelly gas the "Choice of the 70's..." atop the scoreboard.
    X
    This is home now - Citi Field, capacity 41,800 - and every seat in this ballpark seemingly filled, some standees as well, anticipating a piece of history as delivered by Mike Pelfrey, the 25-year-old from Wichita, Kansas. Into a windup, his first pitch in the history of Citi Field, a fastball for a called strike to Jody Gerut. Gerut off to a .214 start with no homers and one RBI. - Howie Rose calls the very first pitch thrown at Citi Field, April 13, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    and this one...

When? I know that a few home runs a season hit the Windows Restaurant, that is below the scoreboard. But I've never seen or heard about a HR off the jumbotron.

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast