Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: BC Place Stadium - Vancouver BC

Deflated roof

B.C. Place's deflated roof January 2007.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by BeatEmBucs View Post
    That looks a lot like what Olympic Stadium had from 1976-88, then they put that supposed-to-be but not retractable roof on.
    The Big O didn't have anything other than its concrete roof until the Kevlar roof was installed, and its appearance is quite different than the artist's conception of BC Place's future retractable roof.

BC Place is getting a retractable roof and a big reno for the 2010 Olympics

Are these signs for baseball in Vancouver by 2020?
    TRAVIS SNIDER- ALL*STAR 2009

Quote Originally Posted by JaysFan29 View Post
    BC Place is getting a retractable roof and a big reno for the 2010 Olympics

Are these signs for baseball in Vancouver by 2020?
    The retractable roof and most of the renovation won't be ready in time.

theyre starting work on the retractable roof after the olympics are over.

Either way the bottom line is it's coming and I think it's something to take into consideration when speculating about Major League Baseball in Vancouver. Wether it's an exhibition game or an actual franchise.
    TRAVIS SNIDER- ALL*STAR 2009

Quote Originally Posted by DrBear View Post
    And it may also mean that the Mariners or MLB didn't want to pay the money it probably would have cost to fix up the moveable seats, get the baseball field redone (how long had it been since the last baseball game there?) as well as the many headaches involved with moving the operation not only a few hundred miles but across a national border.
    The FieldTurf Surface that is in BC Place came from Olympic Stadium in Montreal after the 2004 season in which the Expos moved to Washington and became the Nationals. So, it's a possibility that BC Place may have the turf with the cutouts for baseball.
    ATLANTA BRAVES, PLEASE BRING BACK THE CHEERING NATIVE AMERICAN LOGO BACK!

The BC Place Renovations. Bring MLB to Vancouver!

Even with a different roof, B.C. Place's seating configuration isn't suitable for baseball.

square peg/round hole...

football rectangles - bad for baseball...
    marlins stadium, metrodome, kingdome etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar.Martinez View Post
    The BC Place Renovations. Bring MLB to Vancouver!

wow that looks great. It's not a metrodome clone anymore. It almost looks like a european soccer stadium. I'd wait until we see it in baseball configuration before we go asking MLB to put a team there though. Any chance the hockey style jumbotron could interfere with play?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul W View Post
    football rectangles - bad for baseball...
    marlins stadium, metrodome, kingdome etc.
    Amazing how people can just bash it without ever actually seeing a game in the places
    Best posts ever:
    Quote Originally Posted by nymdan View Post
    Too... much... math... head... hurts...
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthMayBond View Post
    I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Quote Originally Posted by efin98 View Post
    Amazing how people can just bash it without ever actually seeing a game in the places
    aha very true. Vancouver is one of the most beautiful cities in the world, and one the roof opens up, it would be the perfect setting for a summer ballgame.

Also, BC Place was built with the PROMISE to have an MLB franchise in Vancouver by the 1990s.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar.Martinez View Post
    aha very true. Vancouver is one of the most beautiful cities in the world, and one the roof opens up, it would be the perfect setting for a summer ballgame.
    The aerial shots of the stadium and surrounding area doesn't do it justice, it will be a gem for the city.

Also, BC Place was built with the PROMISE to have an MLB franchise in Vancouver by the 1990s.
    Doesn't matter how beautiful the stadium is or where it is at they will bash it just because of who also plays in there..and having never seen it in person...and never seen a game there. But why let those things get in the way of their obsession with being against anything that is multi-purpose or of use beyond the 81 days a year that baseball is played there
    Best posts ever:
    Quote Originally Posted by nymdan View Post
    Too... much... math... head... hurts...
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthMayBond View Post
    I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Vancouver's a tremendous city

You have a point, however it doesn't appear that the seating configuration is going to be altered enough, or at all, to make feasible to be a baseball facility that isn't just a slightly more spacious version of the Metrodome.

As Mr. Brent Butt would say, 'Go Riders!'

"...So the winning run is on second base, with two outs, three and two to Mookie Wilson.

Little roller up along first; BEHIND THE BAG! It gets through Buckner!

Here comes Knight and the Mets win it!"

- Vin Scully, Announcer

Blog Entries
    I like it! I just hope they don't have sight line issues or size issues like the metrodome!
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

When they had a couple of games at the end of Spring Training in the mid-90`s the Mariners were going to play a few of their regular season series at BC Place because of the issues with attendance and the condition of the Kingdome. This was all put to rest however after the 95 run and then of course the subsequent approval of State tax dollars to build Safeco.

I love baseball, would love to see MLB in Vancouver but it won`t happen in BC Place. The only way baseball could be successful in this area would be to build a baseball only facility with a stadium the size of PNC Park in Pittsburgh.

Also on the subject of BC Place, the press box that was built for the intentions of the baseball configurations has been converted into the in stadium production room as well as an auxiliary security area for large events (the other security room is housed in the East Airlock) and as recently as November of 08 the lone broadcast booth of the baseball press box that hasn`t been converted is storage for extra furniture for the suites.

I did notice when I was walking through the bowels of the stadium last November a storage area that may have been all the baseball related stuff. I saw the foul poles for sure and some rolled up turf.

I HAVE seen it (at least the Metrodome), and it honestly wouldn't be bad. That said, there's no way MLB would put a team in there permanently. It would make a great interm facility, and the opening roof is one heck of an upgrade.

Actually, has anyone shown this to the MN Vikings? A massively rebuilt dome might be more reasonable in this economy. And, they could still keep the baseball configuration for all of the high school and college games held there Feb though April
    There's no use being pessimistic, it won't work anyways

I attended the exhibition games that were played there, back when it was built, and again in the 90s and it was fine. It'd be even better with the roof gone. The turf is better now too. Come on Oakland, we are waiting!
    Check out some demos from my upcoming album: http://www.myspace.com/le_serge

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast