View Poll Results: Will Andruw Jones deserve to make the HOF?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, he'll deserve to be in the HOF

24 30.00%
  • No, his numbers will not merit HOF induction

56 70.00%
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Andruw Jones in HoF?

Blog Entries
    An interesting article about Jones' Hall of Fame case.

http://fcpbaseballreport.com/2011/08...tching-andruw/
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Andruw Jones hit his 420th home run last night. What does he have to do to get into the Hall?

Personally, I think he has done enough. However, reaching at least 2,000 hits wouldn't hurt...

what do you think he needs to do for the writers to vote him in? 2000 Hits? 450 Home Runs? 500 Home Runs?

I think he's done enough to get into the HOF but playing a few more years would make his case even stronger.

Regaining some sort of starting job and getting that average over .250 again would help as well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowtipper View Post
    Regaining some sort of starting job and getting that average over .250 again would help as well.
    There's not a lot of reason to believe he's capable of being anything more than a part-time role player against lefties at this point. He's five years removed from being an effective everyday player. That's an eternity.

30 more home runs and he has 450. That should do it IMO.
    Chop! Chop! Chop!

Anyone know if Jones plans on retiring soon? Is he fed up being a bench player, or has he settled into that role for the long haul?

I honestly think that if Jones had not been a power hitter, but just a lighter hitting all time great defensive centerfielder he might have a better chance than he does. He won 10 gold gloves in center, deserved 10 or 11, was possibly the best defensive player at ANY position compared to the league 5-7 times! His home runs actually kind of destracted from his defensive dominance a little. He's probably a better all around fielder considering position and performance than Brooks Robinson or Bill Mazeroski.

Maybe the home runs will help too, but I just don't know if those who vote will ever know how dominant he was in the field.

He is in my view, flat out the greatest defensive outfielder of all time.

His last two seasons were actually quite good going by rate stats. His OPS+ was 120 and 122 respectively.

Of course those were only half seasons but I think if he really works his ass of to get in shape he could get a fulltime job in a weaker team and still produce about 25 HRs a year. It depends on how much he wants it and if his banged up body allows for a hard off season programme.
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    His last two seasons were actually quite good going by rate stats. His OPS+ was 120 and 122 respectively.
    That's with two-thirds of his PAs against lefties. His platoon splits are huge!

Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    Of course those were only half seasons but I think if he really works his ass of to get in shape he could get a fulltime job in a weaker team and still produce about 25 HRs a year. It depends on how much he wants it and if his banged up body allows for a hard off season programme.
    If Jones can no longer play even an adequate CF -- an astonishing dropoff considering the lofty peak he was at, but apparently the case -- he's going to have to hit really, really well to hold down a corner OJ or DH spot. When a guy hits his mid-thirties, he loses some ability for good regardless of how hard he works. (Sadly, I can attest to this personally.)
    Last edited by Cougar; 10-01-2011 at 09:11 AM.

Is it safe to say Andruw Jones is the best defensive Center Fielder of all time?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducati12 View Post
    Is it safe to say Andruw Jones is the best defensive Center Fielder of all time?
    I'd say about as safe as one can be about any defensive evaluation. I would rephrase it to use the past tense -- he was the best CF ever. Now he's a better than average right fielder.

He might have been the best; he's definitely on the short list. Others: Willie Mays, Tris Speaker, Doc Cramer, Curt Flood, Paul Blair, any DiMaggio brother...maybe Garry Maddox, Devon White, Gary Pettis are in the mix.

The short short list: Andruw, Mays, Speaker, Joe D, Dom D.

I feel if Mazeroski, Ozzie, and Robinson are in, than Andruw Jones has to be in.

Quote Originally Posted by brett View Post
    I honestly think that if Jones had not been a power hitter, but just a lighter hitting all time great defensive centerfielder he might have a better chance than he does. He won 10 gold gloves in center, deserved 10 or 11, was possibly the best defensive player at ANY position compared to the league 5-7 times! His home runs actually kind of destracted from his defensive dominance a little. He's probably a better all around fielder considering position and performance than Brooks Robinson or Bill Mazeroski.

Maybe the home runs will help too, but I just don't know if those who vote will ever know how dominant he was in the field.

He is in my view, flat out the greatest defensive outfielder of all time.
    That might be true. He is the type of guy who should get in nearly on defense alone. But his very powerful but a little erratic hitting (no good eye, not patient, a lot of Ks)distracts from his defense a little. because he has 400+ HRs he is often more judged in the "hitter" category and if you look at him like that his .340 lifetime OBP looks not good.

If he had been a steady contact hitter like juan pierre or ozzie he might have gotten more credit for his defense because for some reason people think that all low average, high K sluggers are slow butchers in the field.
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducati12 View Post
    I feel if Mazeroski, Ozzie, and Robinson are in, than Andruw Jones has to be in.
    I'm inclined to agree, but that also implies Keith Hernandez ought to get in, among others. I think he should, but that's not a unanimous opinion.

Best fielding pitcher is probably Greg Maddux, who's overqualified, although Jim Kaat is probably the best left handed fielding pitcher, and his candidacy is contentious.

Not sure about the right and left fielders...if they're that good, they end up in CF, with a handful of exceptions: Barry Bonds, Dwight Evans...

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
    I'd say about as safe as one can be about any defensive evaluation. I would rephrase it to use the past tense -- he was the best CF ever. Now he's a better than average right fielder.

He might have been the best; he's definitely on the short list. Others: Willie Mays, Tris Speaker, Doc Cramer, Curt Flood, Paul Blair, any DiMaggio brother...maybe Garry Maddox, Devon White, Gary Pettis are in the mix.

The short short list: Andruw, Mays, Speaker, Joe D, Dom D.
    If he is so good with the glove, how do his skills go down the toilet when he's barely 30? He had all goods but no flash. Massively over-rated.
    Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    If he is so good with the glove, how do his skills go down the toilet when he's barely 30? He had all goods but no flash. Massively over-rated.
    Why did Jimmie Foxx never have a good year in his thirties? Why did Ken Griffey Jr. fall off in his thirties?

Jones turned 30, didn't watch his conditioning, got fat, got creaky, and lost effectiveness. No dispute on that.

But, it doesn't negate how good he was in his twenties. That happened. Andruw Jones ran down all those HRs in CF, and hit almost 400 HR, back when he was a HOF caliber player.

OJ Simpson murdered his wife and a waiter. That's very very bad. But USC and the Bills don't have to forfeit all the yards he gained.

Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    What about Nomar? He was basically derek jeter till age 30 and then completely fell apart.

that happens sometimes. However I agree that this collapse will be held against him by the voters. He did have a lot of injury problems but I agree with you tha a future HOFer should be able to find a fulltime job in his early to mid 30s. that is certainly a big arguement against him.

BTW: to the guys who hve seen him (I only saw the old version who is still a solid fielder but obviously not great anymore):
    What made him great in CF? Was it his arm, his speed or what?

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast