Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Name the A

Quote Originally Posted by Herr28 View Post
    Yep! Big George Hendrick! Played in only 100 games with the A's in 1971 and 1972, but in his 18 year major league career (1971-1988) he hit .278/.329/.446 with a lifetime OPS+ of 117. Some totals: 2048 G, 941 R, 1980 H, 343 2B, 267 HR, 1111 RBI, 4 time All Star and 2 time Silver Slugger. He was on the 1982 Cardinals when we won the World Series in 7 games against the Brewers. Currently the 1B coach of the Tampa Bay Rays.

Attachment 119624

Attachment 119625

Attachment 119626
    Awesome, thanks for posting that! Washington was my next guess... I'll post the next one.
    We own the West!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

This guy had a relatively short career with the A's... Could be a tough one!

celebrecap01.jpg
    We own the West!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Do we need a hint?
    We own the West!

Quote Originally Posted by Zito75 View Post
    Do we need a hint?
    Yes please. My first thought was Rich Gossage, but when I found pictures of when he was with the A's, he didn't look like that guy

looks like John Jaha

Quote Originally Posted by mlazar View Post
    looks like John Jaha
    It looks like John Jaha... It IS John Jaha! Nice guess, feel free to post a pic if you want to.
    We own the West!

this should be easy...

A's picture.jpg

felipe alou
    Quote Originally Posted by mlazar View Post
    this should be easy...

A's picture.jpg
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://somgamersparadiseforum.smfforfree4.com/index.php

exactly. it's that face......your turn...

Quote Originally Posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
    felipe alou
    Hobbs! You're up!
    We own the West!

Darn, I thought another one was up already...
    "It ain't braggin' if you can do it!" Dizzy Dean

"There is a growing faction of players that are tired of protecting drug users." Tom Herr, 1985, Cardinals second baseman and player representative.

I'll go ahead and throw one out there... Should be easy.

107-420Fr.jpg
    We own the West!

mike gieago?
    ---
    Pushing on the doors of life marked "pull."
    Visit my blog

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Zig Tyko View Post
    mike gieago?
    Nope! Very close though!
    We own the West!

Donnie Hill?

"There is a growing faction of players that are tired of protecting drug users." Tom Herr, 1985, Cardinals second baseman and player representative.

Donnie Hill?
    Yes!!! Great guess! Looks like you're up slugger!
    We own the West!

WHAT!?! Really? That name just popped into my head because of a baseball card I had of him in the mid-80s! Then I wasn't sure if he played for Oakland, because I also remember him on the White Sox! I thought it would be pretty funny if I guessed a bench player who wasn't even on the team! Love it! OK, I'll go and try and find a decent pic large enough to see well! I really miss those old powerhouse A's teams, last year was exciting but still not the same. I also had to keep my cheering for the A's in those final series vs our Rangers down here to myself! Not a good idea to piss off a bunch of drunk Texans who are still upset with my 'Birds beating them in '11!

Those mid-80s A's!

mid 1980s A.jpg

This may end up being too small, after all that talk of getting a big one! Man, I really wanted to do this guy too, and this was the only photo I found of him that wasn't a baseball card with his name on it! Should be easy, though. If it is too small, I can scrap it and find someone else!

He was my favorite player till Jose Canseco came along... Will let someone else answer.
    We own the West!

Yeah, I know you got this one Zito75! I'll toss out a hint. He was the A's starting 1B in the mid-1980s, before Big Mac took over in 1987. He was a solid hitter, and also played well in Seattle. I think he was done after 1986, wasn't he? Always wondered why he hung 'em up. Still looked like a good 1B and hitter to me back then. I'm sure Zito can fill in any gaps as to why he retired.

Here's another hint: His best season in Oakland was 1985. It just may be after all those hints that no one is reading this thread! I basically spelled his name out!

Someone might find this interesting...

______ boycotted the entire 1983 season as a personal protest over rising player salaries. He believed that money was destroying the game he loved, but he returned without explanation the next season. ______ is now an avowed agnostic and is working to "save the Mother Earth from humankind's destructive ways." He states that he has no contact with anyone from his baseball days except for Dusty Baker. It is unknown how and why he and Baker still communicate.
    Last edited by Zito75; 03-11-2013 at 09:35 PM.
    We own the West!

Bruce Bochte

Quote Originally Posted by Macker View Post
    Bruce Bochte
    Outstanding! There's the winner! I was beginning to think all the A's fans (except Zito of course) were still on vacation or something! At least someone stepped in here to get it done! Poor Bruce, no love for the guy apparently...

I was wondering why he was out in '83. That is very interesting there Zito, that may explain why he just walked away after '86 then too. He was only what, 35 that year?

Outstanding! There's the winner! I was beginning to think all the A's fans (except Zito of course) were still on vacation or something! At least someone stepped in here to get it done! Poor Bruce, no love for the guy apparently...

I was wondering why he was out in '83. That is very interesting there Zito, that may explain why he just walked away after '86 then too. He was only what, 35 that year?
    Yeah, from my understanding he was just over it and left the game. Growing up in Seattle, he was the first "star" that I can remember and I think the first M's player to have 100 RBI. He was the man!
    We own the West!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast