• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zito75
    A's Super Moderator
    • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Herr28 View Post
    Is that Gene Tenace "The Menace"? I love those old A's teams! I wish they would hurry up and get that 10th World Series Championship, I rooted for them every year they went to the Series from '88-'90! So many great players, and they gave us Redbird fans that amazing coaching staff (LaRussa, Duncan, McKay) and some of their players (Eck, Big Mac, Honeycutt, Gaellego). I was a big A's fan while I was stationed at DLI (the Defense Language Institute in Monterrey) from 2005-2007. Please keep 'em coming!
    Yeah dude! It's Tenace! Great guess... Feel free to post the next one if you want to!
    WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Comment

• Herr28
      A Midsummer Knight
      • Jan 2012

Here's one from the same era as the last:

Batting practice.jpg
      "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

• Zito75
        A's Super Moderator
        • Jun 2003

Tommy Harper?
        WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Comment

• Herr28
          A Midsummer Knight
          • Jan 2012

Good guess, but no. He may be a bit tough, so I will throw out a hint. He was on those great early 70s teams, but went on to star elsewhere. That may do it! So many great players back then, many are too obvious though!

It was also difficult for me to find decent pics online of some of my favorites from the 1980s without those pics having an autograph, being a baseball card with their name on it, or being someone that would be far too obvious (Stewart, Canseco, McGwire, etc). I was really hoping to find a good pic of Curt Young back when he was the ace, circa 1986 or so, but most of them are current pitching coach photos. I loved Young when I was in little league, and now I am happy that he has been such a successful pitching coach.

I also tried to find one of Bruce Bochte, the 1B before McGwire took the position in 1987. No dice. Plenty of pics of him with the Mariners though. This is great to be in a place where people really care about the A's! It has been too long since I could talk about them with true fans back in California!
          Last edited by Herr28; 01-26-2013, 08:11 AM. Reason: additional babbling!

Comment

• Zito75
            A's Super Moderator
            • Jun 2003

Hmm. I'll let some others take a stab at it before I guess - thanks for posting though! And I agree this is the best place on the web to talk baseball. It's even better during the season... Can't wait for the A's to get the swagger back from their glory days!
            WAR? Prove it!

Comment

• raysnbran
              Clubhouse Lawyer
              • Jan 2005

Is that Billy North?
              Please visit http://sportsfeedia.com/ for the latest RSS feed updates on all your favorite sports and teams (my son created it and is the owner )

Comment

• Herr28
                A Midsummer Knight
                • Jan 2012

Nope, not North. He got another ring for an NL team around a decade after this photo.

Comment

• Zito75
                  A's Super Moderator
                  • Jun 2003

Nope, not North. He got another ring for an NL team around a decade after this photo.
                  George Hendrick?
                  WAR? Prove it!

Comment

• raysnbran
                    Clubhouse Lawyer
                    • Jan 2005

Claudell Washington?
                    Please visit http://sportsfeedia.com/ for the latest RSS feed updates on all your favorite sports and teams (my son created it and is the owner )

Comment

• Herr28
                      A Midsummer Knight
                      • Jan 2012

Yep! Big George Hendrick! Played in only 100 games with the A's in 1971 and 1972, but in his 18 year major league career (1971-1988) he hit .278/.329/.446 with a lifetime OPS+ of 117. Some totals: 2048 G, 941 R, 1980 H, 343 2B, 267 HR, 1111 RBI, 4 time All Star and 2 time Silver Slugger. He was on the 1982 Cardinals when we won the World Series in 7 games against the Brewers. Currently the 1B coach of the Tampa Bay Rays.

Hendrick A's.jpg

Hendrick Cardinals.jpg

Hendrick and Ozzie.jpg

Comment

• Zito75
                        A's Super Moderator
                        • Jun 2003

Yep! Big George Hendrick! Played in only 100 games with the A's in 1971 and 1972, but in his 18 year major league career (1971-1988) he hit .278/.329/.446 with a lifetime OPS+ of 117. Some totals: 2048 G, 941 R, 1980 H, 343 2B, 267 HR, 1111 RBI, 4 time All Star and 2 time Silver Slugger. He was on the 1982 Cardinals when we won the World Series in 7 games against the Brewers. Currently the 1B coach of the Tampa Bay Rays.

[ATTACH]119624[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]119625[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]119626[/ATTACH]
                        Awesome, thanks for posting that! Washington was my next guess... I'll post the next one.
                        WAR? Prove it!

Comment

• Zito75
                          A's Super Moderator
                          • Jun 2003

This guy had a relatively short career with the A's... Could be a tough one!

celebrecap01.jpg
                          WAR? Prove it!

Comment

• Zito75
                            A's Super Moderator
                            • Jun 2003

Do we need a hint?
                            WAR? Prove it!

Comment

• raysnbran
                              Clubhouse Lawyer
                              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Zito75 View Post
                              Do we need a hint?
                              Yes please. My first thought was Rich Gossage, but when I found pictures of when he was with the A's, he didn't look like that guy

Comment

• mlazar
                                • Jan 2006

looks like John Jaha

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X