Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Name the A

Taking a stab - Steve Kiefer?
    We own the West!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

That would be incorrect. This guy played 233 games for the A's,

Any more hints available?
    We own the West!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

That looks like Scott Hemond to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankwood View Post
    That would be correct

Quote Originally Posted by Yankwood View Post
    Nice guess! You can post the next photo if you want to...
    We own the West!

a's.jpg...Next up...

Dick Green?

That was quick...you're up next!

I think it's Curtis Grandersons older brother...

Blog Entries
    Jose Tartabull. It always amused me how little Jose and his son Danny had in common. Danny was a muscular power hitter with a bad reputation for his defensive play. Jose was a spindly speedster who was often used as a defensive replacement.

You are correct Steven, your turn.

Been a while since we've played this... So here's an easy one to get you all started:

Last edited by Zito75; 02-19-2012 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Edit image
    We own the West!

Is that Gene Tenace "The Menace"? I love those old A's teams! I wish they would hurry up and get that 10th World Series Championship, I rooted for them every year they went to the Series from '88-'90! So many great players, and they gave us Redbird fans that amazing coaching staff (LaRussa, Duncan, McKay) and some of their players (Eck, Big Mac, Honeycutt, Gaellego). I was a big A's fan while I was stationed at DLI (the Defense Language Institute in Monterrey) from 2005-2007. Please keep 'em coming!
    "It ain't braggin' if you can do it!" Dizzy Dean

"The last guy who ran as badly as Bill Buckner was Long John Silver." Mark Heisler, sportswriter

"I'm getting by on three pitches now - a curve, a change-up, and whatever you want to call that thing that used to be a fastball." Frank Tanana

Quote Originally Posted by Herr28 View Post
    Is that Gene Tenace "The Menace"? I love those old A's teams! I wish they would hurry up and get that 10th World Series Championship, I rooted for them every year they went to the Series from '88-'90! So many great players, and they gave us Redbird fans that amazing coaching staff (LaRussa, Duncan, McKay) and some of their players (Eck, Big Mac, Honeycutt, Gaellego). I was a big A's fan while I was stationed at DLI (the Defense Language Institute in Monterrey) from 2005-2007. Please keep 'em coming!
    Yeah dude! It's Tenace! Great guess... Feel free to post the next one if you want to!
    We own the West!

Here's one from the same era as the last:

Batting practice.jpg

"The last guy who ran as badly as Bill Buckner was Long John Silver." Mark Heisler, sportswriter

"I'm getting by on three pitches now - a curve, a change-up, and whatever you want to call that thing that used to be a fastball." Frank Tanana

Tommy Harper?
    We own the West!

Good guess, but no. He may be a bit tough, so I will throw out a hint. He was on those great early 70s teams, but went on to star elsewhere. That may do it! So many great players back then, many are too obvious though!

It was also difficult for me to find decent pics online of some of my favorites from the 1980s without those pics having an autograph, being a baseball card with their name on it, or being someone that would be far too obvious (Stewart, Canseco, McGwire, etc). I was really hoping to find a good pic of Curt Young back when he was the ace, circa 1986 or so, but most of them are current pitching coach photos. I loved Young when I was in little league, and now I am happy that he has been such a successful pitching coach.

I also tried to find one of Bruce Bochte, the 1B before McGwire took the position in 1987. No dice. Plenty of pics of him with the Mariners though. This is great to be in a place where people really care about the A's! It has been too long since I could talk about them with true fans back in California!
    Last edited by Herr28; 01-26-2013 at 08:11 AM. Reason: additional babbling!

Hmm. I'll let some others take a stab at it before I guess - thanks for posting though! And I agree this is the best place on the web to talk baseball. It's even better during the season... Can't wait for the A's to get the swagger back from their glory days!
    We own the West!

Is that Billy North?

Nope, not North. He got another ring for an NL team around a decade after this photo.

Quote Originally Posted by Herr28 View Post
    Nope, not North. He got another ring for an NL team around a decade after this photo.
    George Hendrick?
    We own the West!

Claudell Washington?

Yep! Big George Hendrick! Played in only 100 games with the A's in 1971 and 1972, but in his 18 year major league career (1971-1988) he hit .278/.329/.446 with a lifetime OPS+ of 117. Some totals: 2048 G, 941 R, 1980 H, 343 2B, 267 HR, 1111 RBI, 4 time All Star and 2 time Silver Slugger. He was on the 1982 Cardinals when we won the World Series in 7 games against the Brewers. Currently the 1B coach of the Tampa Bay Rays.

Hendrick A's.jpg

Hendrick Cardinals.jpg

Hendrick and Ozzie.jpg

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast