Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: How did your team fare the day you were born?

anybody have any recommendations of sites where i can find this info?

Quote Originally Posted by DownUnderDodger
    Now, as to the date, 12th August in a year before 1958, my team did not exist per se, and I say this in due respect to donzblock, DodgerDeb and all other Brooklyn Dodger fans who frequent this site.
    That may be true, but the "other" Dodgers had a funny story on this date in 1995
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Quote Originally Posted by iPod
    The Giants were missing out on the playoffs on the day I was born, but the '02 Giants clinched the pennant on my birthday. That was a pretty cool day.
    True, but Giant Christy Mathewson had his third straight WS shutout in 6 days on your birthday in 1905
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox Rule
    Nothing happened on March 16, 1989.
    Maybe, but when you were four days old, commish Ueberroth announced that Pete Rose was under investigation

Quote Originally Posted by oscargamblesfro

they didn't play on that day, in october- the red sox finished 3rd in '70...

Quote Originally Posted by oscargamblesfro
    retrosheet.org

On 8/29/67 (that's 1967, not 1867):
    Nolan, McCool and Abernathy combined for a shutout as the Reds beat Jim Bunning and the Phillies 1-0. The Reds were outhit 7-2, but scored the games only run in the 7th. Vada Pinson doubled, moved to 3rd on Pete Rose's groundout and scored on a SF by Lee May. Johnny Bench played in his 2nd big league game, having made his major league debut the day before.

Jim Longborg and the Sox beat Mel Stottlemyre and the yankees 2-1. Both pitchers threw complete games. Tom Tresh accounted for the only yankees' run with a 1 out HR in the 7th. Longborg had 2 sacrifices and drove in Reggie Smith with a base hit to left for the eventual winning run.

The Reds won, the Sox beat the yankees, Bench played his 2nd game, "The Fugitive" finally found the one armed man, and I was born. Aug. 29, 1967 was an exciting day all around, but I barely remember any of it.

Quote Originally Posted by mordeci
    On 8/29/67 (that's 1967, not 1867):
    Nolan, McCool and Abernathy combined for a shutout as the Reds beat Jim Bunning and the Phillies 1-0. The Reds were outhit 7-2, but scored the games only run in the 7th. Vada Pinson doubled, moved to 3rd on Pete Rose's groundout and scored on a SF by Lee May. Johnny Bench played in his 2nd big league game, having made his major league debut the day before.

Jim Longborg and the Sox beat Mel Stottlemyre and the yankees 2-1. Both pitchers threw complete games. Tom Tresh accounted for the only yankees' run with a 1 out HR in the 7th. Longborg had 2 sacrifices and drove in Reggie Smith with a base hit to left for the eventual winning run.

The Reds won, the Sox beat the yankees, Bench played his 2nd game, "The Fugitive" finally found the one armed man, and I was born. Aug. 29, 1967 was an exciting day all around, but I barely remember any of it.
    Bert Campaneris got three triples in one game against, who else, Cleveland

Being born on February 6th means there was no game action. In the year of my birth (1947) the KC Royals didn't exist. I was born in Brooklyn but to my knowledge the Dodgers didn't do anything of note.

On a baseball note, Babe Ruth did celebrate his 52nd birthday. He would be dead a little over 18 months later.

Quote Originally Posted by KCGHOST
    Being born on February 6th means there was no game action. In the year of my birth (1947) the KC Royals didn't exist. I was born in Brooklyn but to my knowledge the Dodgers didn't do anything of note.

On a baseball note, Babe Ruth did celebrate his 52nd birthday. He would be dead a little over 18 months later.
    You're exactly six days younger than Nolan Ryan and the Green Monster, and five days younger than the ML pension plan

Quote Originally Posted by Go Bravos!!!#1
    That fateful day June 10,1992. The braves beat the Dodgers 2-1 behind the arm of Steve Avery. Also I was born that day.
    My parents named me Justice after David Justice ,now you know I had to become a braves fan.
    1992 became the year when Sid Bream slid home to win the pennant. I was probably sucking on a bottle when it happened wondering why my dad was so ecstatic.
    Unfortunently ,we lost the WS to the Blue Jays. But,hey you can''t win 'em all.
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    yeah - i scared the hell out of my kids for years yelling at ball games on tv - now they ignore me

Quote Originally Posted by KCGHOST
    . I was born in Brooklyn but to my knowledge the Dodgers didn't do anything of note. (in february 1947)

they were about to

August, 17, 1968

My beloved S.F. Giants beat the Phillies 6-4 in Philadelphia. Bobby Bonds went 2-4 with two runs scored. Wilie Mays was 2-5 with a run scored and a double. Ron Hunt also went 2-4 with two runs scored. Juan Marichal won the game to up his record to 22-5. At the end of the day the Giants were in second place but were 13 games behind the eventual N.L. champion St. Louis Cardinals.
    Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 11-09-2005 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honus Wagner Rules
    My beloved S.F. Giants beat the Phillies 6-4 in Philadelphia. Bobby Bonds went 2-4 with two runs scored. Wilie Mays was 2-5 with a run scored and a double. Ron Hunt also went 2-4 with two runs scored. Juan Marishal won the game to up his record to 22-5. At the end of the day the Giants were in second place but were 13 games behind the eventual N.L. champion St. Louis Cardinals.
    The one and only....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Cuervo Gold, the fine Columbian, make tonight a wonderful thing.

December 16, 1969

My beloved Cubbies were licking their collective wounds, after one of MLB's more classic collapses.

On the day I was born, my Cubbies got together with my adopted Tribe for a rousing nine inning "shovel-off" at frigid Wrigley Field. Rumor has it, the Cubbies pulled it out when a huge scoop of the white stuff was gathered up by Ron Santo in the bottom of the ninth!
    I'm a Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech and a Hell of an Engineer!

Quote Originally Posted by sschirmer
    My beloved Cubbies were licking their collective wounds, after one of MLB's more classic collapses.

On the day I was born, my Cubbies got together with my adopted Tribe for a rousing nine inning "shovel-off" at frigid Wrigley Field. Rumor has it, the Cubbies pulled it out when a huge scoop of the white stuff was gathered up by Ron Santo in the bottom of the ninth!
    Five days before you were born, a NYC federal court ruled against antitrust allegations in a suit brought by umps. On your sixth birthday Bill Veeck, who planted the ivy for your beloved Cubbies, bought the ChiSox.

Quote Originally Posted by sschirmer

Doesn't Ron look great in cross town red?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by runningshoes; 11-12-2005 at 05:49 AM.
    The Cuervo Gold, the fine Columbian, make tonight a wonderful thing.

January 14, 1954

Obviously the Indians did not play that day, but were just months away from one of the greatest regular seasons in ML baseball history. (They didn't win the World Series, and haven't since either.)

A couple things to note on that day:
    1. Joe DiMaggio married Marilyn Monroe.
    2. I'm told that's the last day streetcars ran in Cleveland.

Quote Originally Posted by gregvanv
    They didn't win the World Series, and haven't since either.
    Look at the bright side. You'll be one of the "I never thought I'd see this in my lifetime" people that gets interviewed when the Indians win the series in 2054.

Quote Originally Posted by gregvanv
    2. I'm told that's the last day streetcars ran in Cleveland.
    Do you think there's any correlation?
    If you like Scott McGregor, you were four days old when he was born

Quote Originally Posted by RuthMayBond
    Do you think there's any correlation?
    If you like Scott McGregor, you were four days old when he was born
    How old would he have been if he didn't like Scott McGregor?

McGregor seems to be a nice guy. He signed my card for me after an Orioles-Tigers game many years ago. Included a biblical reference with his signature. I can't remember what it was, though. Not John 3:16.
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin Bill JEDI

No Brewers yet when I was born. No Twins either...If there had been, they'd be shoveling snow or wrapping up xmas shopping. Or maybe going to Al Kaline's birthday party.

charlesblalack@yahoo.com Guest
    Born in 11/4/65 no baseball and my Rangers were known as the Senators. In the 65 season the Senators went 70-92 and finsihed 8th in the American Leauge. The Senators don't reach .500 until 69' under manager Ted Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox Rule
    Nothing happened on March 16, 1989.
    Not baseball, but.........

March 16, 1989
    Ithaca College
    Robert Cray
    Campus Quad
    Attendance: 2000
    Tickets: Free
    "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by charlesblalack@yahoo.com
    Born in 11/4/65 no baseball and my Rangers were known as the Senators. In the 65 season the Senators went 70-92 and finsihed 8th in the American Leauge. The Senators don't reach .500 until 69' under manager Ted Williams.
    The paper on the day you were born might have reported yesterday's game with Lew Krausse having 21 K in 9 IP including ten straight K, his 33rd K over 2 winter league games. When you were six days old, Willie Mays won the MVP, and in a week, William Eckert was named commish. The day after that Versalles won MVP.

Quote Originally Posted by RuthMayBond
    The paper on the day you were born might have reported yesterday's game with Lew Krausse having 21 K in 9 IP including ten straight K, his 33rd K over 2 winter league games. When you were six days old, Willie Mays won the MVP, and in a week, William Eckert was named commish. The day after that Versalles won MVP.
    Damn RMB, it must be nice to work at the library!
    I'm a Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech and a Hell of an Engineer!

Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast