How did your team fare the day you were born?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • runningshoes
    Saw Yaz launch one in '78
    • Aug 2005

The Say Hey Kid

Originally posted by Ursa Major
    But, they had Willie Mays, who led the team in every significant offensive category -- highlighted by his 51 home runs to go with his .319 batting average and 127 home runs. In a way, 1955 truly was his break-out year, showing the baseball world that he had that fifth "tool" -- power -- to go along with his fielding, throwing, baserunning, and hitting for average.
    Nice post.

Here's Willie's 1955 Topps card.
    Attached Files
    "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
    Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

• runningshoes
      • Aug 2005

I wonder what this one is worth?

Originally posted by RuthMayBond
      Maybe, but when you were four days old, commish Ueberroth announced that Pete Rose was under investigation
      I guess they get baseball cards too.
      Attached Files
      "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
      Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

• RuthMayBond
        Out in LF (Bartman of BBF
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ElCaminoSS
        Damn!! Why did I have to be born in the offseason!!!
        One day before you were born, the Hall of Fame board said that Rose is ineligible as long as he is banned from baseball
        Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
        Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

• RuthMayBond
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DownUnderDodger
          Please elaborate RMB.
          I note they defeated the Pirates 11-10 in bottom of 11th, the middle game of a 3 game sweep, at Dodgers Stadium in front of 44,032 spectators, but that was about all I could find out!.
          Supposedly, the Pirates catcher fielded a ball WITH HIS MASK. This gave the batter-runner two bases and probably was the difference in the game.
          Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.

Comment

• RuthMayBond
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Bklyn Boy since 1936
            I really don't know what my team did on April 22, 1936, Troy. My eyes were closed, there was no radio in the room and TV hadn't been invented yet. I didn't develop into a BROOKLYN DODGERS fan for several days after the day I was born.
            (LA) Dodger Ron Perranoski was born three weeks before you. Brooklyn Dodger Eddie Morgan (who was not a Dodger at the time) hit a HR on the 1st ML pitch he saw (was supposedly also the 1st to hit a pinch-HR in his 1st ML AB) eight days before you were born. Brooklyn's Ben Geraghty reached on catcher's interference twice in one game when you were four days old. I guess you were "born" to be a Dodger fan

Comment

• RuthMayBond
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Clockwork
              My dad and my older sister were at the Phillies game when my Mom went into labor. It was the Philly Phanatics birthday. April 26, 1987.
              Former Phillie Steve Carlton joined Phil Niekro to have two 300-G winners throw for the same team (Indians) in the same game 17 days before you were born.
              Mike Schmidt hit his 500th HR eight days before you were born - it was a three-run shot in the 9th that was the game-winner.

Comment

• RuthMayBond
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Ursa Major
                Well, on my birthday of October 1, 1955 (yep, I'm that old, my dear Giants, then in New York, had completed the season (only 154 games then) a week earlier.
                Eleven days before you were born, Willie Mays hit home runs off Vern Law in BOTH games of a twinbill

Comment

• runningshoes
                  • Aug 2005

Former Phillie Steve Carlton joined Phil Niekro to have two 300-G winners throw for the same team (Indians) in the same game 17 days before you were born.
                  Mike Schmidt hit his 500th HR eight days before you were born - it was a three-run shot in the 9th that was the game-winner.
                  Can't find a pic of Steve with the Indians, so you'll have to settle for this.......
                  Attached Files
                  Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

• runningshoes
                    • Aug 2005

Ouch!!!

Eleven days before you were born, Willie Mays hit home runs off Vern Law in BOTH games of a twinbill
                    Vern's 1952 Bowman card.
                    Attached Files
                    Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

• runningshoes
                      • Aug 2005

Was he an Indian at the time?

(LA) Dodger Ron Perranoski was born three weeks before you. Brooklyn Dodger Eddie Morgan (who was not a Dodger at the time) hit a HR on the 1st ML pitch he saw (was supposedly also the 1st to hit a pinch-HR in his 1st ML AB) eight days before you were born. Brooklyn's Ben Geraghty reached on catcher's interference twice in one game when you were four days old. I guess you were "born" to be a Dodger fan
                      Eddie Morgan 1933 Goudy.
                      Attached Files
                      Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

• ballparks
                        • Nov 2004

April 24, 1973

Born in Toronto, Canada.

With the birth of Canada's greatest fan, the executives of Labatt's and other Canadian based corporations realized that there was a conspicuous absence of a baseball team in Toronto. One would be needed to provide for the newborn child a baseball atmosphere in which he could grow up.

Within four years, the hometown Blue Jays were on the field at Exhibition Stadium. That's fine, as I wouldn't have remembered anything before that age anyways!!

Since I root for the home team wherever I am, the Blue Jays were my first 'team'. My current favs however are the Cardinals, as I lived in St. Louis for 5 years before returning to Canada. They won a 2-0 contest over the Dodgers behind the pitching of Rick Wise.
                        "Where have you gone Joe DiMaggio, a nation turns its lonely eyes to you. What's that you say Mrs. Robinson? Joltin' Joe has left and gone away. Hey hey hey."

Comment

• Chris from NY
                          • Apr 2005

Well as my luck would have it the Blue Jays were idle on April 5, 1988; better known as the day I was born. But they staret off that year by taking 2 of 3 from the Royals. A week later the Jays would pound the Yankees 17 - 9 in the second to last home opener played at Exibition Stadium before they moved to Skydome/ Rogers Centre.
                          Like Maple Syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.

Comment

• RuthMayBond
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ballparks
                            Born in Toronto, Canada.

With the birth of Canada's greatest fan, the executives of Labatt's and other Canadian based corporations realized that there was a conspicuous absence of a baseball team in Toronto. One would be needed to provide for the newborn child a baseball atmosphere in which he could grow up.

Within four years, the hometown Blue Jays were on the field at Exhibition Stadium. That's fine, as I wouldn't have remembered anything before that age anyways!!

Since I root for the home team wherever I am, the Blue Jays were my first 'team'. My current favs however are the Cardinals, as I lived in St. Louis for 5 years before returning to Canada. They won a 2-0 contest over the Dodgers behind the pitching of Rick Wise.
                            Either that, or you caused the DH eighteen days before you were born. Six days after you were born NO GAMES were scheduled that day.

Comment

• RuthMayBond
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Chris from NY
                              Well as my luck would have it the Blue Jays were idle on April 5, 1988; better known as the day I was born. But they staret off that year by taking 2 of 3 from the Royals. A week later the Jays would pound the Yankees 17 - 9 in the second to last home opener played at Exibition Stadium before they moved to Skydome/ Rogers Centre.
                              I thought George Bell hit his three Opening Day HRs in anticipation of your arrival the next day

Comment

• runningshoes
                                • Aug 2005

Long live King Georgegeorgegeorgeorgegeogeorge!!!!!

I thought George Bell hit his three Opening Day HRs in anticipation of your arrival the next day
                                Here's George Bell in his 1987 Topps card gearing up for your arrival, Chris.
                                Attached Files
                                Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X