How did your team fare the day you were born?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chelle
    Tejada's Sign Language
    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Chisox73
    Thanks for the link Chelle.
    Welcome
    Orioles: Once fine organization, being run into the ground by Peter Angelos.

Comment

• RuthMayBond
      Out in LF (Bartman of BBF
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Chelle
      :o I'm embarrassed I used the word. I shouldn't have wasted the second 1/2 of the day on work
      Post of the day
      Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
      Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

• AstrosFan
        Supreme Dictator For Life
        • Apr 2006

They lost 2-5 to the Cincinnati Reds. Aw shucks.
        "Any pitcher who throws at a batter and deliberately tries to hit him is a communist."

- Alvin Dark

Comment

• redlegsfan21
          • Aug 2004

The Reds lost 1-0 to the Expos.
          W:Bryn Smith
          L: Tom Browning
          SV: Joe Hesketh
          GW-RBI: Spike Owen
          Unlike most other team sports, in which teams usually have an equivalent number of players on the field at any given time, in baseball the hitting team is at a numerical disadvantage, with a maximum of 5 players and 2 base coaches on the field at any time, compared to the fielding team's 9 players. For this reason, leaving the dugout to join a fight is generally considered acceptable in that it results in numerical equivalence on the field, and a fairer fight.

Comment

• DodgerBlue8188
            Think Blue
            • Jun 2005

Can anybody tell me May 12 1982? Also, anybody know of a site that can tell me this type of info for any given day?

Comment

• BaseballHistoryNut
              Team Veteran
              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by DodgerBlue8188
              Can anybody tell me May 12 1982? Also, anybody know of a site that can tell me this type of info for any given day?
              I can answer your question, and despite having been a Giants fan for nearly half a century, I'll try not to gloat. After all, since you guys have won World Series in 1955, 1959, 1963, 1965, 1981 and 1988 during my lifetime, and my Giants won the famous 1954 Series when I was all of one year old, I'm not in much of a position to gloat.

Anyway, on May 12, 1982, your Dodgers played at Philadelphia... and got their heads handed to them, by a score of 11-3. At least it wasn't a tough loss.

I cannot tell you if they faced Steve Carlton that day, but this was the last of his four truly Cy Young years, the fourth one having been then-unprecedented. He probably didn't deserve that award, however, as his Adjusted ERA was only 119--a scant 4 points better than in 1983, when he went a stunning 15-16, BUT punched your Dodgers' ticket home in the NL Championship Series.

I remember that series well, because it was, thank god, one of the last in which they used the best-of-5 format for the LCS--a real harsh system to decide who goes to the World Series, and on NOBODY was it ever harsher than the 1983 Dodgers, who had to face Carlton twice. He won Game One 1-0, going 8 innings, and won Game Four 7-2, going 6 innings and giving up 1 run. Basicaly the Dodgers had to win all three of their other games, which is a hell of a burden to overcome. For what it's worth, that was Carlton's last hurrah. The next year, his world-class slider, once deemed the best pitch in MLB, was inexplicably gone and he was never the same pitcher again, leading to several years of embarrassing himself before he finally retired.

How's that for not only answering your question, but providing all sorts of unsolicited info which you may or may not give a tinker's damn about?

BHN

Comment

• RuthMayBond
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by AstrosFan
                They lost 2-5 to the Cincinnati Reds. Aw shucks.
                We could help you out more, if you like
                Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.

Comment

• RuthMayBond
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by nascarfn5
                  The Reds lost 1-0 to the Expos.
                  W:Bryn Smith
                  L: Tom Browning
                  SV: Joe Hesketh
                  GW-RBI: Spike Owen
                  Well, Pete Rose brought a lawsuit against Giamatti & co. 26 days before you were born, Tom Browning got within 3 outs of his second perfect game 10 days before you were born, Paul O'Neill did the drop kick back into the infield 9 days before you were born, and the Reds had 16 hits and 7 batters had 2 hits in the first inning 20 days after you were born (and Pete Rose knocked into Ray Fosse exactly 19 years before you were born) so no wonder you're a Reds fan. You share a birthday with Jesse Tannehill, Happy Chandler, Earl Williams and Robin Ventura.
                  Last edited by RuthMayBond; 07-20-2006, 09:21 AM.

Comment

• RuthMayBond
                    • Jan 2004

Can anybody tell me May 12 1982?
                    On your exact birthday, the Angels traded Mike Walters AND Tom Brunansky AND $400K for Doug Corbett and Rob Wilfong, DOH! Former Dodger Rick Rhoden hit a double AND a homer in the third inning when you were 3 days old. You share a birthday with Lave Cross and Yogi Berra. Exactly 20 years before you were born, former Dodger Gil Hodges was one of the 2 Mets with a walkoff HR in their twinbill. Exactly 13 years before you were born, the Dodgers didn't do so well against Bob Gibson in the 7th inning.

Comment

• Chelle
                      Tejada's Sign Language
                      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                      Post of the day

Thank you! Thank you!

I'm so happy an Oriole finally won something.

Comment

• RuthMayBond
                        • Jan 2004

Thank you! Thank you!

I'm so happy an Oriole finally won something.
                        Stop complaining, you only have to go back twenty-three years

Comment

• Chelle
                          Tejada's Sign Language
                          • Apr 2006

Yogi Berra! For May 12th....

Go to the top, and the drop down menu lets you put in any day.

Comment

• Chelle
                            Tejada's Sign Language
                            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                            Stop complaining, you only have to go back twenty-three years

OOO, sorry. Hey...at least you were there in 97. *sigh*

Comment

• BaseballHistoryNut
                              Team Veteran
                              • Nov 2005

http://www.baseball-reference.com/fr...month=5&day=12

Yogi Berra! For May 12th....

Go to the top, and the drop down menu lets you put in any day.
                              Yep. That's the one.

Comment

• soberdennis
                                • May 2006

Originally posted by BaseballHistoryNut
                                I can answer your question, and despite having been a Giants fan for nearly half a century, I'll try not to gloat. After all, since you guys have won World Series in 1955, 1959, 1963, 1965, 1981 and 1988 during my lifetime, and my Giants won the famous 1954 Series when I was all of one year old, I'm not in much of a position to gloat.

Anyway, on May 12, 1982, your Dodgers played at Philadelphia... and got their heads handed to them, by a score of 11-3. At least it wasn't a tough loss.

I cannot tell you if they faced Steve Carlton that day, but this was the last of his four truly Cy Young years, the fourth one having been then-unprecedented. He probably didn't deserve that award, however, as his Adjusted ERA was only 119--a scant 4 points better than in 1983, when he went a stunning 15-16, BUT punched your Dodgers' ticket home in the NL Championship Series.

I remember that series well, because it was, thank god, one of the last in which they used the best-of-5 format for the LCS--a real harsh system to decide who goes to the World Series, and on NOBODY was it ever harsher than the 1983 Dodgers, who had to face Carlton twice. He won Game One 1-0, going 8 innings, and won Game Four 7-2, going 6 innings and giving up 1 run. Basicaly the Dodgers had to win all three of their other games, which is a hell of a burden to overcome. For what it's worth, that was Carlton's last hurrah. The next year, his world-class slider, once deemed the best pitch in MLB, was inexplicably gone and he was never the same pitcher again, leading to several years of embarrassing himself before he finally retired.

How's that for not only answering your question, but providing all sorts of unsolicited info which you may or may not give a tinker's damn about?

BHN
                                To add to the info you gave, the Philly pitcher was Ron Reed, a veteran who I remember seeing play Minor League ball in the Braves organization. He pitched 7 innings gave up 6 hits and 2 runs including a HR to Pero Gur=errero in the 7th.
                                Bob Welch started for the Dodgers and got bombed.

Welcome back ARod. Hope you are a Yankee forever.
                                Phil Rizzuto-a Yankee forever.

Holy Cow

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X