How did your team fare the day you were born?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • janduscframe
    • Jul 2004

No Brewers yet when I was born. No Twins either...If there had been, they'd be shoveling snow or wrapping up xmas shopping. Or maybe going to Al Kaline's birthday party.

Comment

Born in 11/4/65 no baseball and my Rangers were known as the Senators. In the 65 season the Senators went 70-92 and finsihed 8th in the American Leauge. The Senators don't reach .500 until 69' under manager Ted Williams.

Comment

• DownUnderDodger
        Learning all the time.
        • Aug 2002

Originally posted by BoSox Rule
        Nothing happened on March 16, 1989.
        Not baseball, but.........

March 16, 1989
        Ithaca College
        Robert Cray
        Campus Quad
        Attendance: 2000
        Tickets: Free
        "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Comment

• RuthMayBond
          Out in LF (Bartman of BBF
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by [email protected]
          Born in 11/4/65 no baseball and my Rangers were known as the Senators. In the 65 season the Senators went 70-92 and finsihed 8th in the American Leauge. The Senators don't reach .500 until 69' under manager Ted Williams.
          The paper on the day you were born might have reported yesterday's game with Lew Krausse having 21 K in 9 IP including ten straight K, his 33rd K over 2 winter league games. When you were six days old, Willie Mays won the MVP, and in a week, William Eckert was named commish. The day after that Versalles won MVP.
          Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
          Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

• sschirmer
            100 years is long enough!
            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by RuthMayBond
            The paper on the day you were born might have reported yesterday's game with Lew Krausse having 21 K in 9 IP including ten straight K, his 33rd K over 2 winter league games. When you were six days old, Willie Mays won the MVP, and in a week, William Eckert was named commish. The day after that Versalles won MVP.
            Damn RMB, it must be nice to work at the library!
            I'm a Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech and a Hell of an Engineer!

Comment

• runningshoes
              Saw Yaz launch one in '78
              • Aug 2005

Originally posted by sschirmer
              He's definately not a reporter.
              "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
              Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

• RuthMayBond
                Out in LF (Bartman of BBF
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by sschirmer
                Has nothing to do with the library
                Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
                Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

• Sultan_1895-1948
                  Prince of Pounders
                  • Sep 2005

Thanks for starting this thread. Never knew I was born on the same day as Joe Morgan and Duke Snider

September 19th, 1977.

Umm, lets see, the FailBlazers won the Championship that year. Not sure what was happening in baseball. He runningshoes, can you look at see what the A's did that day and year?

Comment

• Chisox73
                    Thunderstruck!
                    • Jan 2000

I have it for you Sultan.

The A's lost at Chicago 8-0 on Sept.19,1977.Ken Kravec went the distance for the White Sox,besting Vida Blue,who dropped to 14-18 at that time.

In 1977,the A's finished an abysmal 63-98 in the AL West,1/2 game behind the expansion Seattle Mariners,and 38 1/2 behind the Kansas City Royals.

Vida Blue and Bill North were the only holdovers from thier world Championship teams of 1972-74.

Comment

• Cubsfan97
                      Im for the Cubs!
                      • Aug 2005

November 10th 1990

Originally posted by CubsHub
                      HEHE My cubs did not lose on that day.

I will take that!
                      What do ya know, the Cubs didn't lose on my B-Day either! Unfortunately they didn't win either.
                      "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
                      -Rogers Hornsby-

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
                      -Rogers Hornsby-

Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

Comment

• Sultan_1895-1948
                        Prince of Pounders
                        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Chisox73

The A's lost at Chicago 8-0 on Sept.19,1977.Ken Kravec went the distance for the White Sox,besting Vida Blue,who dropped to 14-18 at that time.

In 1977,the A's finished an abysmal 63-98 in the AL West,1/2 game behind the expansion Seattle Mariners,and 38 1/2 behind the Kansas City Royals.

Vida Blue and Bill North were the only holdovers from thier world Championship teams of 1972-74.
                        OUCH

thanks

What about the Cardinals??

Comment

• runningshoes
                          • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Chisox73

Vida Blue and Bill North were the only holdovers from their world Championship teams of 1972-74.
                          Did you know Vida gave up several college football scholarships to sign with the Athletics at the tender age of 19? A's owner Charles Finley seriously wanted him to change his name to True, but Vida refused.

In 1971, Blue went 24-8 to capture both the league's MVP and Cy Young awards. He was dealt to the Giants during the 1978 season, after posting a dismal 14-19 the previous year, for seven players and $390,000.

He finished the year with an 18-10 record and became the first pitcher to start the All Star game for both leagues.

Blue was suspended for drug abuse in 1983 and retired permanently in 1987 after failing a urine test.

What a shame.
                          Attached Files
                          "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
                          Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

• runningshoes
                            • Aug 2005

September 19, 1977 St. Louis @ Philadelphia

Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948
                            What about the Cardinals??

Philadelphia Phillies 8, St. Louis Cardinals 4

The major highlight of the Cards' 1977 season was Hall of Famer Lou Brock's breaking of Ty Cobb's career stolen base mark of 892. Brock finished his career with 938 and held the record until surpassed by future Hall of Famer Rickey Henderson in 1991.

The Cards finished the season in 3rd place with an 83-79 record, 18 games behind the National League East winning Phillies. Garry Templeton finished the season with a league high 18 triples.

Brock retired at the end of the 1979 season with 1,730 career strike outs and only 761 walks. He led the National League in errors seven times, putting together five of those consecutively.

I guess he had to make his times on base count.
                            Attached Files
                            Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

• runningshoes
                              • Aug 2005

The Phillies

The Phillies are my team in the National League. Anyone want to tell me how they made out June 20, 1966?
                              Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

• ed hardiman
                                Phightin' Phil's
                                • Jul 2005

Wednesday, May 22, 1957
                                Phillies Lose to Braves, 4-3 at County Stadium
                                Starters: Robin Roberts vs Lew Burdette
                                Phillies (16-14) in 4th place 5 games back...

Thursday May 23, 1957
                                Preceded earlier in the year by future Phutiles Bob Dernier, Dave Stewart, Steve Lake, and later followed by Don Robinson, Doug Jones, Dave Rucker, Dave Palmer, Steve Bedrosian, and Tom Gorman I was born at Temple University Hospital.
                                Earliest scouting report on my baseball talent from May 24th 1957:
                                "All diaper no glove."

Friday, May 24, 1957
                                Phillies Defeat Pirates 7-3 at Shibe Park
                                Starters: Jack Sanford vs Bob Friend
                                Phillies (17-14) in 3rd place 4½ games back.

The Phillies finish 18 out in 1957.

On Wed Oct. 9th 1957 the Miracle Braves take the World Series from the Yanks...I celebrate by spitting strained peas on my bib...
                                The Phillies Barstool Lives!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X