How did your team fare the day you were born?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • runningshoes
    Saw Yaz launch one in '78
    • Aug 2005

How did your team fare the day you were born?

Boston Red Sox bats were idle on June 20, 1966. The baseball Gods held me in limbo while Carl Yastrzemski, Tony Conigliaro, Rico Petrocelli and a fledgling first baseman named George Scott, who was battling Chicago White Sox phenom Tommie Agee for Rookie of the Year honours, took the twilight game of a double header that day against Boog Powell, Luis Aparicio, Davey Johnson and a pair of Robinsons who would rock the baseball world and lead the Baltimore Orioles to its first world championship later that year.

One month later, while the boys of Bean town continued their slide to the bottom of the American League along with the New York Yankees, the greatest natural hitter in the game’s rich history, Ted Williams, was enshrined at Cooperstown. The following year, Yaz and the boys turned it around and took the dream all the way to the seventh game of the World Series, only to lose to the powerhouse St. Louis Cardinals.

How did your team fare the day you entered this world destined for a love affair with the greatest game ever conceived? Were your heroes, who you have come to know so well, victorious on their march to October, or did they fall as you slept, waiting for the wonders of America's pastime to enrich your life?

If you don’t know or you’re unsure, simply post your birth date and your favourite team and I will research it for you. I will also try to let you know a little about your team's performance that day, if you don’t already know.

If you do know, then please let us all know as well.

And if, by some horrible twist of fate, you had the misfortune of being born during basketball season, feel free to let everyone know what was happening on diamonds across America and Canada anyways.

Have fun.
    Last edited by runningshoes; 08-15-2008, 09:03 PM.
    "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
    Carl Yastrzemski
  • RBi
    Is it next year yet?
    • Jan 2005

November 22, 1978

HEHE My cubs did not lose on that day.

I will take that!
    Last edited by RBi; 11-08-2005, 06:24 PM.
    BELIEVE

Comment

• RuthMayBond
      Out in LF (Bartman of BBF
      • Jan 2004

The Tribe got shelled early, tried to make a comeback, and fell short. Pretty much the story of their life :grouchy
      Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
      Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

• VTSoxFan
        Ever Hopeful BoSox Mod
        • Jan 2000

All right.... How did my beloved Red Sox do on August 13, 1968?
        --Annie
        Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
        Remember Yellowdog
        ABNY

Comment

• RBi
          Is it next year yet?
          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by VTSoxFan
          Chicago 0 1 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 – 3 10 2
          Boston 0 0 1 2 0 0 0 1 x – 4 8 0
          BELIEVE

Comment

• runningshoes
            • Aug 2005

August 13, 1968 Chicago @ Boston

Originally posted by VTSoxFan
            On August 1, 1968 the Boston Red Sox defeated the Chicago White Sox 4 -3.

Rico Petrocelli had the big bat for Boston that day going 2 for 3 and driving in three runs with a double (15) and a home run (12).

The baseball Gods were watching over you that day, Annie
            Attached Files
            "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
            Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

• Brian McKenna
              • Sep 2005

can't play - my birth date is in january 1966 but my orioles did win the series that year with my all time favorite brooks robinson homering in his first w.s. at bat

Comment

• Chisox73
                Thunderstruck!
                • Jan 2000

As far as I know,the White Sox were watching the snow piling up on December 6,1965.

As for that 1965 season,they finished 2nd place in the American League,7 games behind Minnesota at 95-67.The recently departed Al Lopez was manger of the team.They were led in hitting by Don Buford who hit .293 and stole a team high 17 bases for the Sox.John Romano and Moose Skowron each hit 18 homers to pace the club,while Skowron had 78 RBIs to top the team.

Knuckle ball pitcher Eddie Fisher led the team with a 15-7 record and a 2.40 ERA,Tommy John was 14-7 with a club leading 126 strikeouts.

Comment

• Go Bravos!!!#1
                  2007 We Mean Business
                  • Sep 2005

That fateful day June 10,1992. The braves beat the Dodgers 2-1 behind the arm of Steve Avery. Also I was born that day.
                  My parents named me Justice after David Justice ,now you know I had to become a braves fan.
                  1992 became the year when Sid Bream slid home to win the pennant. I was probably sucking on a bottle when it happened wondering why my dad was so ecstatic.
                  Unfortunently ,we lost the WS to the Blue Jays. But,hey you can''t win 'em all.
                  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
                  Simply... TAKING BACK THE EAST IN 2007

Comment

• DownUnderDodger
                    Learning all the time.
                    • Aug 2002

Unfortunatly, on the day I was born I was too young to remember what happened in the MLB. In fact being born in Australia I had no idea what MLB was - wait a minute I did "Mommy Loves Bobby" (My name is obviously Bob).

Now, as to the date, 12th August in a year before 1958, my team did not exist per se, and I say this in due respect to donzblock, DodgerDeb and all other Brooklyn Dodger fans who frequent this site. But in further respect to those fine folk I just mentioned, I will pass my allegiance back to Brooklyn for a moment and after research here is some of what happened in the wonderful year and on the great day of my birth.

Year 1952:
                    Russia openly criticized the American game of baseball by citing their own version called "lapka" as being the original concept for the game. The State Department quickly came to the defense of the National Pastime by accusing the Soviet's claim as the founders of baseball to be part of its "Hate America" Cold War campaign.

Brooklyn Dodgers won the National League by 4 1/2 games over NY Giants with a 96-57-2 win/loss record (yep, in the days when ties were ties!). They lost the WS 4 games to 3 to cross city rivals NY Yankees (Yuk!!)

Notable Brooklyn Dodgers player stats included:
                    OBP - Jackie Robinson .440
                    Stolen Bases - Pee Wee Reese 30

Notable Brooklyn Dodgers team stats included:
                    Base on Balls 663
                    HR 153
                    OBP .348
                    Runs 775
                    Slugging .399
                    Stolen Bases 90
                    Strikeouts 773

On my birthdate - 12th August
                    The Brooklyn Dodgers had a travel day. The previous day they had disposed of The Phillies 9-5 at Philadelphia and the next day they took care of the Giants, 5-4 in Brooklyn. And, as I was born at 8:40pm Eastern Australian time, the clock had already ticked over to 12th August in New York, so we cannot use the time difference to change the circumstances.

I think that is enough info - and I have enjoyed researching same. Thank you Baseball Almanac!!

Originally posted by Go Bravos!!!#1
                    That fateful day June 10,1992. The braves beat the Dodgers 2-1 behind the arm of Steve Avery. Also I was born that day.
                    My parents named me Justice after David Justice ,now you know I had to become a braves fan.
                    That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
                    What an interesting story (I would stick to it too!!), and from one so young. It is wonderful to have such youth participating here at Baseball Fever . You have done great Justice to this thread !! And I will forgive the Braves for beating the LA Dodgers on such an auspicious day!!
                    Last edited by DownUnderDodger; 11-08-2005, 10:38 PM.
                    "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Comment

• brewcrew82
                      Mod against IL play!
                      • Jan 2000

23rd of June 1981, the brewers, as well as the rest of Major League Baseball were on strike...:grouchy
                      RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

Comment

• west coast orange and black
                        • Aug 2004

annie: How did my beloved Red Sox do on August 13, 1968?

more swag for you, annie:

red sox lineup:
                        andrews - 2b
                        jones - 1b
                        yastrzemski - lf
                        harrelson - rf
                        smith - cf
                        foy - 3b
                        petrocelli - ss
                        nixon - c
                        pizarro - p

it was a night game
                        2:14 total time
                        23,648 attendance

pizarro went the full nine
                        petrocelli had the gwrbi on a sac fly, scoring harrelson
                        luis aparicio was caught stealing pizarro/jones/petrocelli
                        tommy davis was caught stealing nixon/andrews
                        "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

• steveox
                          Team Veteran
                          • Oct 2005

How did My Beloved Orioles do on August 3rd 1961 and who was winning pitcher and the losing pitcher? And who hit the homers? What was the weather like? Who carried the game was televised?
                          Last edited by steveox; 11-09-2005, 01:44 AM.

Comment

• runningshoes
                            • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Go Bravos!!!#1
                            Looks like the baseball Gods were watching over you that day.

A good Friend of mine named his son Cal after you know who and my cousin named his son Hayden after......

And to think, I almost named my son Theodore.
                            Attached Files
                            Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

• iPod
                              • Jul 2003

The Giants were missing out on the playoffs on the day I was born, but the '02 Giants clinched the pennant on my birthday. That was a pretty cool day.
                              "Hall of Famer Whitey Ford now on the field... pleading with the crowd for, for some kind of sanity!"

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X