How did your team fare the day you were born?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • runningshoes
    Saw Yaz launch one in '78
    • Aug 2005

Originally posted by scribe114
    August 15, 1968

The Tigers had the day off.
    But the following day, Denny McLain and the Tigers took it to my Red Sox, shutting them out 4-0 at Fenway.

McLain won 31 games that year earning Cy Young and MVP honours.

And the icing on the cake was Detroit's victory over The Cardinals in the World Series.
    Attached Files
    "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
    Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

• Yankee Legend
      CC, spice & evrythin nice
      • Jul 2005

May 2, 1989

My team didn't do so well. The Yankees lost 5-3 that day to the Kansas City Royals. It was mainly due to a good complete game by Kansas City pitcher Mark Gubicza.
      Yankees '09

Arod, CC, AJ, DJ and Tex

Comment

• RuthMayBond
        Out in LF (Bartman of BBF
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Yankee Legend
        May 2, 1989

My team didn't do so well. The Yankees lost 5-3 that day to the Kansas City Royals. It was mainly due to a good complete game by Kansas City pitcher Mark Gubicza.
        But three days before you were born, Rickey Henerson broke the record for leading off a game the most times with a home run.
        Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
        Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

• runningshoes
          • Aug 2005

May 2, 1989
          Oh man, I was just starting University. h
          "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
          Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

• Chisox
            God Bless, #34.
            • Jan 2000

Originally posted by RuthMayBond
            But three days before you were born, Rickey Henerson broke the record for leading off a game the most times with a home run.
            That will never be broken.

May 2, 1989
            Originally posted by runningshoes53
            Oh man, I was just starting University.
            May 2nd, you were STARTING at a University? What University was that?
            Johnson and now Goligoski gone.
            I hope that's all.

Comment

• runningshoes
              • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Chisox
              May 2nd, you were STARTING at a University? What University was that?
              I started in 1989..you know what I meant.
              Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

• 125osprey
                • Nov 2005

My team, at least until Toronto was awarded a franchise, was the Montreal Expos. Les Expos played their inaugural season the year I was born. They sucked.

I was born at 11:30 in the evening on September 16, 1969. This is how the National League East stacked up on the day I was born:

W L GB WP RS RA

NYM 89 58 - .605 583 504
                CHC 86 63 4.0 .577 676 558
                STL 79 68 10.0 .537 539 495
                PIT 78 69 11.0 .531 653 605
                PHI 59 88 30.0 .401 589 672
                MON 48 101 42.0 .322 540 727

The Expos lost to the Cubs 5-4 at Jarry Park in Montreal.
                1992 & 1993 World Series Champions

Comment

• Chisox
                  God Bless, #34.
                  • Jan 2000

Originally posted by runningshoes53
                  I started in 1989..you know what I meant.
                  Wasn't sure. Thanks.
                  Johnson and now Goligoski gone.
                  I hope that's all.

Comment

• RuthMayBond
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by 125osprey
                    My team, at least until Toronto was awarded a franchise, was the Montreal Expos. Les Expos played their inaugural season the year I was born. They sucked.

I was born at 11:30 in the evening on September 16, 1969. This is how the National League East stacked up on the day I was born:

W L GB WP RS RA

NYM 89 58 - .605 583 504
                    CHC 86 63 4.0 .577 676 558
                    STL 79 68 10.0 .537 539 495
                    PIT 78 69 11.0 .531 653 605
                    PHI 59 88 30.0 .401 589 672
                    MON 48 101 42.0 .322 540 727

The Expos lost to the Cubs 5-4 at Jarry Park in Montreal.
                    You're also a week older than Jeff Cirillo. As for your team, Bill "no-hit" Stoneman struck out for his 55th time in 73 AB twelve days after you were born, fortunately he was a pitcher.
                    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.

Comment

• Jennifer
                      • Mar 2005

Grrrrrr! Runningshoes53 if you were on my holiday gift list I'd be taking you off for starting this thread. I looked up how the Tribe did on September 28, 1983 and, of course, it had to be a humiliating loss. The Tribe wnt into the botton of the 9th up by two, 4-2. Jamie Easterly had come into the game in the 7th and pitched scoreless ball through the 8th. Yount hit a 2 run HR with 1 out to tie the score and Oglive followed with a 2 run blast with two outs to win the game. Grrrrrr!

Exactly one year later the Tribe was down to the Twins at one point 10-0 and went on to win 11-10. Go Tribe!

Comment

• RuthMayBond
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Gone
                        Grrrrrr! Runningshoes53 if you were on my holiday gift list I'd be taking you off for starting this thread. I looked up how the Tribe did on September 28, 1983 and, of course, it had to be a humiliating loss. The Tribe wnt into the botton of the 9th up by two, 4-2. Jamie Easterly had come into the game in the 7th and pitched scoreless ball through the 8th. Yount hit a 2 run HR with 1 out to tie the score and Oglive followed with a 2 run blast with two outs to win the game. Grrrrrr!

Exactly one year later the Tribe was down to the Twins at one point 10-0 and went on to win 11-10. Go Tribe!
                        But 25 days before you were born, Oakland used SIX pitchers in the ninth as the Tribe scored TEN :gt
                        23 days after you were born we gave up Len Barker and got Butler, Jacoby, AND $150K. :gt

Comment

• antihipster
                          SABR Redbird
                          • May 2004

December 2, 1963.

No games for the Cardinals on that day.
                          Cardinals had a 93-69 record in '63.

St. Louis Cardinals latest stats and more including batting stats, pitching stats, team fielding totals and more on Baseball-Reference.com
                          unofficial Cardinals
                          Playing HardballUpdated 12-06-07

Congratulations Cardinals in 2006 World Series
                          Winners in 1926, 1931, 1934, 1942, 1944, 1946, 1964, 1967, 1982, & 2006

Comment

• Elvis
                            Team Veteran
                            • Jul 2004

My birthday - February, 23, 1971

My team won! Lakers 114, Baltimore Bullets 107 (At Baltimore)

Comment

• Bluesteve32
                              Super Angel Moderator
                              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Elvis9045
                              My birthday - February, 23, 1971

My team won! Lakers 114, Baltimore Bullets 107 (At Baltimore)
                              I probably watched that game. The Bullets had quite unattractive uniforms back then, even Chick said so. Wes Unseld was the best player on the Bullets back then.
                              http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/ex...eline_1961.jpg

Comment

• Jennifer
                                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                                But 25 days before you were born, Oakland used SIX pitchers in the ninth as the Tribe scored TEN :gt
                                23 days after you were born we gave up Len Barker and got Butler, Jacoby, AND $150K. :gt
                                I went back and looked at the 1983 Tribe roster. Would you believe the team contained 12 players (8 postion and 4 starting pitchers) that during their careers were named to one or more All-Star games? The players:

Mike Hargrove
                                Manny Trillo
                                Toby Harrah
                                Julio Franco
                                Andre Thornton
                                Pat Tabler
                                Bake McBride
                                Rick Manning
                                Rick Sutcliffe
                                Len Barker
                                Bert Blyleven
                                Neal Heaton

From just looking at the list (without knowing where in their careers these players were) one would think the Tribe was pretty competitive in 1983. In 1983 the Tribe was 72-90. Come to think of it (BIG SIGH) for the Tribe teams of 60s, 70s and 80s a 72-90 team was one of their more competitive teams (EVEN BIGGER SIGH). Mercifully, I was too young to be aware of the 80s so their badness is less tramautic to me than some of you oldsters.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X