Page 7 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: How did your team fare the day you were born?

4/19/55-Cards beat Cincinatti 6-5. Harvey Haddix pitched against Corky Valentine. Not a good year for the Cards, went 68-86, finished 7th. It was the rookie season for Ken Boyer, one of my favorites.

My oldest daughter was born 5/21/87...we were living in Atlanta at the time and the Cards were playing the Braves at Fulton Co. that night. My wife had been in labor for about 10 hours when the game came on tv around 6PM. I was just getting comfortable, watching the 1st inning when the doctor came in, checked her out and said "lets take her to the delivery room, time to have a baby" I wanted to know if we couldn't wait a couple more hours.

For the record, Cards beat Atlanta 7-2, Bob Forsch against Zane Smith. And they won the pennant in 87. Daughter did well too, a freshman at Mo. State University.

Bob Forsch 1987 Topps

Quote Originally Posted by 64Cards
    4/19/55-Cards beat Cincinnati 6-5. Harvey Haddix pitched against Corky Valentine. Not a good year for the Cards, went 68-86, finished 7th. It was the rookie season for Ken Boyer, one of my favorites.

My oldest daughter was born 5/21/87...we were living in Atlanta at the time and the Cards were playing the Braves at Fulton Co. that night. My wife had been in labor for about 10 hours when the game came on tv around 6PM. I was just getting comfortable, watching the 1st inning when the doctor came in, checked her out and said "lets take her to the delivery room, time to have a baby" I wanted to know if we couldn't wait a couple more hours.

For the record, Cards beat Atlanta 7-2, Bob Forsch against Zane Smith. And they won the pennant in 87. Daughter did well too, a freshman at Mo. State University.
    That's a great story.

For anyone who doest know, which included me until I looked it up, Forsch won 20 games for the Cards in 1977. He was originally a third baseman but converted to pitcher in the minors. He no-hit the Phillies in 1978 and the Expos in 1983. Bob and his brother Ken were the first brother to throw no-hitters. Forsch joined the Astros in 1987 leaving the Cards, behind only Bob Gibson and Jessie Haines in total games played and wins
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Cuervo Gold, the fine Columbian, make tonight a wonderful thing.

Did my Browns celebrate?

Runningshoes -

I was born on December 31, 1937 - in the middle of the Great Depression. It was also one of he blacker hole eras in the history of my club, the St. Louis Browns. - Did my guys celebrate that New Years Eve? - All I know is -they didn't lose that day - unless they made a trade. Then they might've lost.
    "Our fans never booed us. - They wouldn't dare. - We outnumbered 'em." ... Browns Pitcher Ned Garver.

Only one team was playing the day I was born, and it wasn't baseball. The Green Bay Packers defeated the Oakland Raiders 33-14 in Vince Lombardi's last game as coach of the Pack. After a year as general manager, he would coach the Redskins for one year before dying of cancer.

Should I check to see what the 'Nats were doing on July 14, 1968? That's exactly six months after my birthday!

Eddie Cunningham
    20 20

Finally---something Nats and Birds fans can agree on!

Rogers Hornsby ends legendary career in St. Louis

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_McCurdy
    I was born on December 31, 1937 - in the middle of the Great Depression. It was also one of he blacker hole eras in the history of my club, the St. Louis Browns. - Did my guys celebrate that New Years Eve? - All I know is -they didn't lose that day - unless they made a trade. Then they might've lost.
    You probably already know this Bill, but for those who don't, Rogers Hornsby ended his legendary career with the Browns two months before you were born. Do you know if he played in that twin bill against the White Sox?

Quote Originally Posted by eddiejc1
    Only one team was playing the day I was born, and it wasn't baseball. The Green Bay Packers defeated the Oakland Raiders 33-14 in Vince Lombardi's last game as coach of the Pack. After a year as general manager, he would coach the Redskins for one year before dying of cancer.

Should I check to see what the 'Nats were doing on July 14, 1968? That's exactly six months after my birthday!

Eddie Cunningham

You can if you want Eddie, but I suspect you already know the Nationals were less than one year away from taking to the diamond as the Montreal Expos, and defeating the Miracle Mets 11-10 at Shea Stadium. Six days later, The Expos played the first MLB game at Jarry Park where Mack Jones' three run blast lifted them past the Cardinals 8-7. And a few few days later, Bill Stoneman no-hit the Phillies for the quickest no-hitter in a franchises history.

Sadly, 35 years later.....well..you all know the story.

Here's Stoneman in his 1969 Topps card.

I looked but I couldn't find a decent picture of Mack Jones in an Expos uniform. If anyone has one..well..you know.
    Last edited by runningshoes; 11-12-2005 at 08:05 AM.

April 14, 1982, the Red Sox lost a close one to the Chicago White Sox. Chuck Rainey pitched well for 6 innings allowing only 1 run, but Robert Stanley blew the game in the 7th allowing 4. Interesting to note that Stanley went on to pitch 168 innings that year in 64 appearances, none of them starts. The Sox that year went 89-73 and finished 6 games behin Milwaukee for 3rd place.

Dwight Evens 1973 Topps

Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxFan4Life
    April 14, 1982, the Red Sox lost a close one to the Chicago White Sox. Chuck Rainey pitched well for 6 innings allowing only 1 run, but Robert Stanley blew the game in the 7th allowing 4. Interesting to note that Stanley went on to pitch 168 innings that year in 64 appearances, none of them starts. The Sox that year went 89-73 and finished 6 games behin Milwaukee for 3rd place.
    In 1982, Dwight Evens' 403 OBP led the league.

No other Red Sox in the major catagories.

This is his 1973 Topps rookie card

Hey look..it's Al Bumbry!!!!
    Last edited by runningshoes; 11-12-2005 at 09:54 AM.

April 26, 1991? I know the Cubs lost but...
    A lot of people say this honor validates my career, but I didn't work hard for validation. I didn't play the game right because I saw a reward at the end of the tunnel. I played it right because that's what you're supposed to do, play it right and with respect. If this validates anything, it's that learning how to bunt and hit and run and turning two is more important than knowing where to find the little red light at the dug out camera. - Ryne Sandberg

Quote Originally Posted by runningshoes53
    What's your team?
    hard to say, i like a few teams..

Quote Originally Posted by History Of Baseball Fan
    hard to say, i like a few teams..
    Draw straws

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by E.Banks#14
    April 26, 1991? I know the Cubs lost but...
    Harkey only pitched 3 innings giving up a 2 run jack to Paul O'Neill.

Chicago's lone run came off of a single from Mark Grace scoring Jerome Walton from 2nd base.

Time: 2:11
    Attendance: 37,681

Cubs - 1
    Reds - 3
    BELIEVE

Amazing Grace

Quote Originally Posted by CubsHub
    Harkey only pitched 3 innings giving up a 2 run jack to Paul O'Neill.

Chicago's lone run came off of a single from Mark Grace scoring Jerome Walton from 2nd base.

Time: 2:11
    Attendance: 37,681

Cubs - 1
    Reds - 3
    If nothing else, Mark Grace was a consistent player who took the back seat to alot of other Cubbies during his tenure; he preferred it that way. He was thought of as a life long Cub, but became disillusioned with the club and went to the Diamondbacks in 2000 where managed a respectable 78 rbi's.

Quote Originally Posted by eddiejc1

Eddie Cunningham
    Eddie, are you sure you want to ask?

While you were entering your sixth month of infancy, the Washington Senators were dropping a doubleheader to the White Sox in Chicago by the scores of 7-2 & 6-5, dropping their record for the year to 30-52.

The 1968 Senators, managed by Jim Lemon, would finish 65-96, last place in the ten team league, 37 1/2 games behind the pennant winning Detroit Tigers.
    Last edited by Aa3rt; 11-12-2005 at 06:59 PM.
    "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Quote Originally Posted by runningshoes53
    You probably already know this Bill, but for those who don't, Rogers Hornsby ended his legendary career with the Browns two months before you were born. Do you know if he played in that twin bill against the White Sox?
    Runningshoes -

Yeah. I did know that Hornsby officially ended his career only two months before I was born, but he actually played his last game in a DH against the Yankees at Sportsman's Park on July 20, 1937. - Guess what? - The Browns lost both games, 5-4 and 9-6.
    "Our fans never booed us. - They wouldn't dare. - We outnumbered 'em." ... Browns Pitcher Ned Garver.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnysGhost
    Me and Ursa Major share the same day..10/1/55..Also think Mark McGwire born that day..
    You didn't give a team, so you share a birthday with Japan's Takehiko Bessho, Rod Carew, and Jeff Reardon
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Met
    I was born in Brooklyn, NY on 3/31/55. The Dodgers ended up having a pretty good year that year.

Unfortunately I was born about 15 years too late to fully appreciate the Brooklyn Dodger thing. My mom's favorite player was Gil Hodges.

When I started getting into baseball in the mid-60's, the Koufax/Drysdale/Wills/Davis boy L.A. Dodgers were my favorite team. I stuck with them through the Lasorda/Garvey/Cey era but by the early 80's I realized that I was just rooting for a uniform anymore and swung my allegiance to the hometown Mets.
    I have an anecdote that Don Newcombe hit two HR in the same game very early in the '55 season
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by MasonDixon
    I was born in October, and as everyone here knows, the Phillies never play in October.
    Eight days before you were born,
    Dykstra hit a two-run HR in 9th to beat Houston 6-5, wasn't it a playoff game?

Expos didn't do much on october 28th, 1977. TV, fly fishing, quality time with the kids, who knows?

Actually, october 28 is a pretty quiet day in MLB history. Few noticable birthdays except for Lenny Harris... And a world series crown in 1995 for the Braves, wich was a sad day for all of us.
    From now until the end of September, I'll be chronicling in real time on Twitter the 1946 season of the International league's Montréal Royals, when Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in professional baseball. Check it out: https://twitter.com/Royals_46season

Nothing much happened on January 2nd 1987.

I do share the same birthday with a few players of recognition such as, David Cone, Edgar Martinez and Jeff Suppan.
    Please read the Baseball Fever Site Policy and FAQ before posting.
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Ontarioguy
    Nothing much happened on January 2nd 1987.
    How did the Expos do in the 1987 season?

Any standout players?

1987 was a good year.

The Expos went 91-71 that season. Tim Raines lead the NL with 123 runs scored. The '87 edition of the Expos didn't have all that much power. Tim Wallach was the only player to break the 20 HR mark, with 26. You had 5 other guys who broke the 10 HR mark. Former Expo Andre Dawson was having an MVP year in his first season away from Montreal. The Expos sent Tim Wallach, Tim Raines and Hubie Brooks to the all-star game. Denis Martinez went 11-4 in 22 starts. Interestingly, the Pythagorean system ranks the Expos as a 83-79 team.
    Please read the Baseball Fever Site Policy and FAQ before posting.
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Tim Wallach 1987 Topps

Quote Originally Posted by Ontarioguy
    1987 was a good year.

The Expos went 91-71 that season. Tim Raines lead the NL with 123 runs scored. The '87 edition of the Expos didn't have all that much power. Tim Wallach was the only player to break the 20 HR mark, with 26. You had 5 other guys who broke the 10 HR mark. Former Expo Andre Dawson was having an MVP year in his first season away from Montreal. The Expos sent Tim Wallach, Tim Raines and Hubie Brooks to the all-star game. Denis Martinez went 11-4 in 22 starts. Interestingly, the Pythagorean system ranks the Expos as a 83-79 team.
    I was a big fan of Tim Wallach. I saw him at the Big "O" in a series against the Cubs shortly after George Bell went there in 1990

Aug 26, 1987

The Tigers beat the Twins 10-8 in Minnesota. Petry got the win, Hernandez the save. Chet Lemon hit two homers.

But the big baseball news that day was the end of Paul Molitor's hitting streak at 39 games.
    Formerly known as EricGotMunsoned

Quote Originally Posted by Augustin_"Gus"
    Expos didn't do much on october 28th, 1977. TV, fly fishing, quality time with the kids, who knows?

Actually, october 28 is a pretty quiet day in MLB history. Few noticable birthdays except for Lenny Harris... And a world series crown in 1995 for the Braves, wich was a sad day for all of us.
    They used four pinch-runners in the ninth a month and two days before you were born. As far as birthdays, Hal Jeffcoat and Bobby Shantz.

Page 7 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast