Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cuban Giants

New York World, May 13, 1892: Mike King Kelly, catcher for Boston: "New York is the Cuban Giants whitewashed."

New York Herald, May 30, 1892: St. Louis Owner Chris Von Der Ahe: "I will trade you all for dem Cuban Giants."

Sporting Life, July 30, 1892: Correspondent: "I think the Cuban Giants could do the Bostons just about this time."
    Last edited by TonyK; 10-27-2012 at 12:55 PM.
    "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
    "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

I received a newspaper article which lists the Cuban Giants game by game record for the 1887 season...107 wins and 54 losses and 4 ties...a total of 165 games played. They scored more than 1,300 runs. Many games played against ML and minor league teams. The article claimed they were the best independent club in America. I'll provide more details later on.

In early October of 1887, Owner J. M. Bright took his Cuban Giants to watch the NY - PHILA National League game on a day off. Although the Cuban Giants lost to NY twice that season and tied them once, they did have six wins against NL and AA teams. Was this a scouting trip, or a visit to show the ML's there was a good black team wishing to play ML ball, or merely a reward for the players?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12