Page 11 of 95 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: DM Classic IV Keeper League - General Discussion

Rookie draft is straight-up like the bigs.

Picks not being tradable is a technicality I guess. Mark mentioned the majors can't trade actual picks--just the rights to players. If we agree to open trading of picks I'll go ahead and post the Mantle deal--otherwise I'll wait. Either way there'll be an article .

--Really the only advantage to trading players after they are picked is only the two owners involved need to keep track. If we trade picks it could get confusing for the people before/after the traded pick. The 20th pick I will be making for EH might be a week away. I'm okay with it either way though.

Mark, what about pitching rotations? A lot of these guys are suited to work every 4th day. Will that be an option? Is it possible to set up a 1, 2, 3, 4a, 4b type rotation in DM?

--I'll program for a 4 man rotation if anybody wants one, but the program is not flexible in that. You can have a 4 man or a 5 man with or without skip, but there is no way to schedule 1 or 2 guys for a heavier workload and the others for normal rest. If you try to use even a 300 IP guy on 4 days you'll likely have some starts where he runs out of gas in the early going due to overuse.
    --Pitcher fatigue is based on a 5 day pitch monitor (previous 4 games plus game in progress), so with the 5 man your SP is always starting out with a full tank. If he has not had 5 days off he starts the game with his pitch count from the previous start already contributing to his fatigue factor. Even a horse who may not be programed to tire until 150 pitches is going to have a problem with that (i.e. if he threw 120 pitches in his last start he will start to tire at the 30 pitch mark). If somebody wants to give it a shot, I won't insist on a 5 man like the past leagues. However, I'll be using five and would recommend that to anybody who wanted my advise.

So there isn't much advantage in having a 300 IP starter over a guy with 240 IPs. Either can go all season in a 5-man without exceeding 110%.
    Last edited by mac195; 12-01-2005 at 05:36 AM.

I'm a little surprised by that. I know that SOM easily permits a four man rotation in the sixties and seventies, when that was the norm. The cards actually include a asterisk for anyone who can go every fourth day - which is about 50% of the starters back then. Since the seasons are purchased on a yearly basis (as I understand it), seems like the game would take the rotations of the era into consideration. Of course, maybe that is why there are many days off during the season - to make a four man rotation work.
    You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

--I've never actually tried a 4 man rotation, nor purchased a full season from the era when they were common. All my previous purchases have beeen greatest team packages from mixed eras, recent seasons where the 5 man was the norm, and the All Time Greatest Players (which was also era nuetral). As I said, if anyone wants to experiment with that I am happy to program your team that way. It might be a good option for an owner who was building for the future, rather than this season, and wants to squeeze the most out of his top 4 (or just see what will happen for future reference).
    -- If you want to try it for an individual pitcher though you'd need to stay on top of your rotation and reset to get him back to the front more often. It can't be preset .
    -- Actually, there is an option that might work if someone wants to try it. Your can set your rotation for "time" rather than skip or strict. The program will try and duplicate the actual number of starts each pitcher made during the season. That is really designed for teams that are kept intact and not draft teams though. I expect most of us are going to have more cumlative starts in our rotation than there will be games to go around. We are in for the long haul though and if someone wants to experiment with that, again, I'll be happy to set you up that way. The downside is it will be impossible to predict who will start a given game if you like to keep track.

I've got a couple of horses with a lot of innings so far. I will most likely try the four man rotation and see what happens. What the heck, the draft is the most fun part for me anyway, since I don't have the game and can't monkey with my lineups/rotation like I can in OOTP.

OOTP also has the capability now to set your lineup for seven days in advance; unfortunately, I doubt it will work online unless an owner has the game. I am just now getting the teams/ballparks entered into the game, and hope to have something online in a week or so.

But plan on me at least trying the four man rotation, Mark.
    You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Mantle Out as Fast as he Rode In
    Ray "Scoops" McRae
    ---------------------------

It's quite a visual inside the workings of the Baseball Fever League.

Within the confines of their secret lair, it is now evident that the rumors of a giant draft are true. Adhering to a rigid system similar to the MLB Annual Selection of Players, twelve dens filled with hyenas are in the process of picking the bones of the old Major Leagues clean. Sometimes in the center of their den... often to the side amongst themselves... a new group suited, cigar-smoking entrepeneurs joke, puff, and carry on conversation about the post-Batista sugar market.

Yes, our American Pastime is back.

Warren Spahn, Eddie Mathews and Willie Mays all have new homes, and for a moment--just a few days--it appeared that we would have Spavinaw's own Mickey Mantle roosting in Memorial Stadium. But then he was gone.

Yes, traded, back to Yankee Stadium for two unproven pitchers named Dean Chance and Joe Horlen. The greatest player of our time, in his prime, for those two and two more draft picks in next year's Players Selection.

"It's always difficult giving up someone like that," says Skipjacks GM Phillip "Beanie" Bill. "But we are very happy with what we received and we feel both teams benefited from this."

But how exactly do the Skipjacks benefit from this? Who are the fans going to follow?

"We'll have some fine players this year... but we are expecting this league to flourish, and if so we must build a franchise, not just a team. We want to be contenders for a long time."

Fine players are--well--fine, but Mantle should be able to carry a team by himself for a long time. If that happens to be recouped, the bigger concern may be that without a true star, the team will not be supplied with enough of its revenue--the fans--to last long enough to become annual contenders.

It is all speculation, however, until we find out who will make the lineup this year. And the crowds at Memorial Stadium have a great reputation, willing the Colts to back-to-back championships and welcoming the old Saint Louis Browns to Baltimore despite a run of bad seasons. Mr. Bill is as steady as he was managing a minor-league team: "We ask our fans to be patient, and we'll give them a good product."

So, what does the subject of all this future talk have to say?

"I'm happy that I'm in such demand, and I'd do my best for whoever I play for," says Mantle, "but truly feel like Yankee Stadium is where I belong. I wish the Skipjacks luck. And tell That Guy I said hey."
    Last edited by J W; 12-03-2005 at 03:12 PM.

--We briefly discussed "arbitration" for rookie classes draft in 1962 forward, but never really got into specifics. I'd like to propose a very simple way to handle it. At the end of their 3rd year these players will have their salaries doubled instead of receiving the standard 250K bump. So for a player drafted in spots 1-3 with a million dollar initial salary they would jump up to 3million, assuming they had played all 3 years in the majors. Less is they had spent any full seasons in the minors. A player drafted in the second round or later who spent all 3 years in the minors but only be bumped up to 500K from his original 250K minimum. This would be a one time adjustment. Yeah, nay or alternative suggestions?

Mark - I would be curious to know how often a player's salary is doubled at arbitration. Perhaps raising their salary at the end of the third year by an amount equal to one-half of the signing cost (ie, 500,000 for 1M players; 375K for 750K players; and 250K for 500K players) would work. This would of course be in addition to the annual 250K major league raise. If any of the three seasons was spent entirely in the minors, then they get one-fourth of the original signing cost.

--Lew, that would be an acceptable alternative. I agree that few players actually double their salaries at arbitration. However, many do get 2-3 big raises via arbitration which end up having a larger effect than a one time doubling would. Whatever direction we go with this I'd like to a) keep it simple and b) avoid making the rookie draftees too cheap when they become stars.

Yes, but remember, they all become free agents anyway at the end of six years. The good ones will shoot up to market value then, once the bidding begins. I'm OK with either way.

BTW, speaking of free agency, have you considered allowing a "hometown discount"? I was thinking that if the team the player was on is willing to match the highest bid, less 10% or even 5%, the player would agree to stay there. What do you think?

Ootp Website Up

I have the website for the mirror OOTP league started. If anyone wishes to check it out, go here. This is a very basic, barebones site, due to limited space I have for the free webspace from geocities. This barely touches the surface of what this program can do with a full webiste. The hotlinks to each individual team won't work. However, I plan on getting at least one (most likely mine) up to full speed so that you can all get an idea of what you could EACH access if this was a full site. Please check it out, and of course once the league starts the stats will get updated as I update the files. You will note that the records page has existing records AS OF 1961, which is why Musial leads the all-time lists in both average and homeruns.

Web site looks great... is there a thread we should post to it or just post the link at the top of this one?

My team is barely over the doormats in OOTP salary . "Skipjacks" is one word, BTW.

My vote would be to double (or even triple) salaries rather than deal with .125 mil increments, and to do it during the offseason after X number of active games have been played.

Even if we don't use arbitration however, I'd be allright. Arbitration in the majors is a trickier process and we'd have problems matching it.

Section 232, Row 1, Seat 24, Miller Park, Miller Park Way
    Website is great.

There's got to be some service we can get to have enough space for a full space.
    AL East Champions: 1981 1982
    AL Pennant: 1982
    NL Central Champions: 2011
    NL Wild Card: 2008

"It was like coming this close to your dreams and then watching them brush past you like a stranger in a crowd. At the time you don't think much of it; you know, we just don't recognize the significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, 'Well, there'll be other days.' I didn't realize that that was the only day." - Moonlight Graham

Dudecar - Actually, I could get sufficient space to run the entire thing for 5 to 7 dollars a month. I would gladly pay it if I thought the site would be used regularly. I got the free geocities site just to see what was possible. Actually, only a fraction of what the game has to offer will be available. I actually was unable to upload the main website file (index.html) generated by the game to geocities website because the free section doesn't use FTP protocol - you have to use their Pagebuilder, which is proprietary. If I had an FTP site, the game automatically uploads everything. What you see on my site is what I was able to cobble together. If enough owners are interested, I could see about getting more webspace. I'm not looking for funding, just an indication of interest so that if I had to sign up for 12 months I wouldn't be blowing $50 or so.

If anyone clicked onto the career leaderboard, sorry. None of the stats appear, and I can't figure out the problem. The screen that appears is NOT the one produced by OOTP. I think Geocities' Pagebuilder ap is "redesigning" the page in the upload process, and I haven't figured out a way around it.

JW - Yes, the salary page indicates what each owner would be paying using the salaries assigned by the game. I haven't gone in yet to see if I can modify the salaries/contracts, or if you have to take what the game gives you. Interesting that Mark is on top. I rather expected you to be on the bottom. The game default for someone who is still basically a minor leaguer is about 200,000, I think. Several of your players fit that category. If I could upload everything, you could click on the player name, which would bring up their history, contract, and much other info about the player.

I'm actually more interested in finding out what salaries OOTP would give these players. It makes for a nice reference... or monday morning quarterback .

The updates on geocities should be enough for us... any extra reporting you can fit on the site can go right here. No need to pay extra IMO.

It will be very interesting to see how the OOTP results compare to DM. Thanks for setting that up, Lew.

Lew,

Why am I rated 12th in the power rankings?

Really, though, that doesn't mean anything yet, right?

Page 11 of 95 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast