Page 51 of 76 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 1894

Thread: DM Classic IV Keeper League - General Discussion

Hello, hoping to find my way back in if there is a team open. I have crazy working hours and school work to make up for missed credits but I have finally been allowed internet access again.

thanks

Kyle! How are you doing? So good to hear from you. I sure hope you are doing better and that things are working out for you. Unfortunately another owner took over the Gamblers a little while ago, but the Wranglers are available and in the thick of the divisional fight. I don't imagine Mark will have any objections to your taking them over. Welcome back!
    You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by dust bunnies View Post
    In general I support a lottery system. However, I'm not sure it will solve the problem. Besides "dumping" players in the off-season to generate a lesser record for the rookie draft, such dumping also generates cash to purchase FAs. A lottery would minimize the dumping effect on the rookie draft, but would do nothing about FAs. If I felt that my team needed the presence of one or two superstars, I would release, trade, whatever, players with "bad salaries" to generate cash for FAs. That would also, probably, better my rookie draft position.

Jack
    I don't really perceive this as a big problem, Jack. I have made trades myself to dump big contracts, but since a big contract is usually a top player you have to get something of value in return or the commissioner can cancel the trade. If you release such a player, you're on the hook for half of their remaining salary, so that's rather self defeating and isn't done much unless it's the last year of a longer contract, and of course since you still have to cover half his salary you don't get that huge infusion of cap space.

If I'm wrong and other owners do see this as a major problem by all means post your thoughts here.
    You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

--Great to hear from you Kyle. Glad things are looking up. If you have the time and interest we'd be happy to have you back. Too bad it wasn't a couple weeks earlier when the Gamblers were still available but, as Lew says, the Wranglers are available and almost as good a team - perhaps in better shape going forward. The Gamblers turned over a pretty good chunk of the roster in your absence anyway so most of the players you had have moved along.
    --If you want back in then get with Lew on getting up to speed with the Wranglers. You'd be jumping right into a pretty darn good pennant race with a chance to knock Mac off the top the Cartwright Division - for the first time in league history!

Quote Originally Posted by catcher24 View Post
    I don't really perceive this as a big problem, Jack. I have made trades myself to dump big contracts, but since a big contract is usually a top player you have to get something of value in return or the commissioner can cancel the trade. If you release such a player, you're on the hook for half of their remaining salary, so that's rather self defeating and isn't done much unless it's the last year of a longer contract, and of course since you still have to cover half his salary you don't get that huge infusion of cap space.

If I'm wrong and other owners do see this as a major problem by all means post your thoughts here.
    --I don't see this as a real issue either. I've made some deals that were mostly salary dumps over the years, but they were to make me more competitive not as part of a tear down. Sometimes you need to move a big salary guy off the books to fill holes elsewhere.
    --For last years teardown of the Gamblers or this years of the Knights I wasn't especially concerned with clearing salary though. My interest was in moving guys who weren't going to be around once the rebuild was complete for draft picks or prospects who would be.

I'm about ready to go with a CKL style league, albeit with some rule changes/modifications, starting in 1920. I have decided to start the league in 1920, for a variety of reasons I won't go into here. I would like to go with 14 teams. This would create a 156 game season with each team playing every other team 12 times. If I can't get 14 interested owners, I would probably go with 12 teams and a 154 game schedule, with each team playing all others 14 times.

Each team will be associated with (or we could use) an actual major league team from that era. The option of keeping one of that team's actual rookies as your first round pick will be included, as will the option of having up to three "franchise players". I'm presently reworking the CKL bylaws and adjusting them to fit what I want to do, but there will still be a salary structure and free agents. When I have enough interested owners, we will hold discussion on items relating to the league.

If you are interested, please post here so I have an idea of how many owners I can count on.

--Count me in. I'd probably prefer 12 teams actually. The 3 division plus wild card set up works great and 12 of 16 would actually be a lower concentration of talent than we started with in the CKL (9 of 15 less with the 3 worst teams left intact). Whatever way you decide to go will be okay with me though.

Chicago - The town that the World Series forgot
    I'm game as well.
    "I will calmly wait for my induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame."
    - Sammy Sosa

"Get a comfy chair, Sammy, cause its gonna be a long wait."
    - Craig Ashley (AKA Windy City Fan)

Count me in, Lew.

Blog Entries
    I'm in for sure.

I too would be in.

Quote Originally Posted by leecemark View Post
    --Count me in. I'd probably prefer 12 teams actually. The 3 division plus wild card set up works great and 12 of 16 would actually be a lower concentration of talent than we started with in the CKL (9 of 15 less with the 3 worst teams left intact). Whatever way you decide to go will be okay with me though.
    I originally figured on 12, but have found it quite intriguing to be in a league (Ted Tappe) that uses a higher percentage of the talent. My team (and others) have been forced to use some real dregs to fill out the rosters and even with the 120% usage allowance you sometimes get stuck with a real dog playing some games. I think you'll see this happening with Scott's new project as well and it really requires more personnel planning. As you will see from my proposed rules, I'm still planning on using a three division setup, but two will have five teams and one will have only four. No problem, since I plan on a balanced schedule (that's the way they did back then) with each team playing all others 12 times (which works out nicely to 156 games), hence no advantage to being in one division or another.

BTW, I'm about half way through the rules write up. Once that is done I'll post them, and presuming we get sufficient interest I would like to start hashing things out this CKL off season. I won't plan for a draft or anything like that until after CKL1973 is started, so as not to create the problem of "double draft planning", but the rules discussions and things like that could be going on without causing too much interference with the CKL.
    Last edited by catcher24; 07-22-2009 at 05:50 AM.

Having more teams also allows the great players to seperate from the pack more, which can be interesting. And you also get more realistic results from LHP the more diluted the talent in the league is. Whoever drafts Grove and Hubbell would certainly appreciate a 14-team league.

Sure...count me in

"I want all of you rookies to line up in alphabetical order by height." Casey Stengel

Shoeless is in too.

Badgers DEFINITELY in.
    There are 10 kinds of people. Those who get binary and those who don't.

Are we definitely starting in 1920? Just curious so I can start looking over some of the players since I am not as familiar as I should be with that era.

Quote Originally Posted by jaybird_1981 View Post
    Are we definitely starting in 1920? Just curious so I can start looking over some of the players since I am not as familiar as I should be with that era.
    Yes, it will be 1920. I was going to start in 1904, but for the following reasons - and maybe some I'm forgetting to list - I decided on 1920:
    1. Scott Carter is just starting up a league beginning in 1901, and several members of the CKL and those expressing interest in my project have jumped on board that one as well. Simply avoiding repetition.
    2. It allows me to skip several seasons that Mark W. indicated he has checked out and don't have good "home brew" seasons. Since it will be necessary to use those until 1927, I'll have what seem to be good ones to use.
    3. It avoids the shortened war year of 1918.
    4. It avoids the Federal League.

The one glitch we will run into, and everyone is certainly aware of it: several star players will be gone after the first season due to lifetime suspensions.

I have nine managers interested so far, including myself. Five to go. BTW, how many of you own Diamond Mind? I know that Mark L, Mark W., Joe T., Joe C., Ed, Jason L. and I all own the game. I don't think Dan does and I'm not sure about Craig.

Blog Entries
    So then why not just move it up one year to 1921 to avoid the Black Sox scandal? It also gives it a better backstory, with the ML having to fold due to the scandal.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Bedard View Post
    So then why not just move it up one year to 1921 to avoid the Black Sox scandal? It also gives it a better backstory, with the ML having to fold due to the scandal.
    You know, that's a great idea. What does everyone else think? I like Dan's idea.

Incidentally, my proposed rules are about done. Once the CKL off season begins I'll start a thread and get them posted.

I like the 1921 start. You'll avoid the Ray Chapman incident as well.

Chicago - The town that the World Series forgot
    Quote Originally Posted by catcher24 View Post
    I have nine managers interested so far, including myself. Five to go. BTW, how many of you own Diamond Mind? I know that Mark L, Mark W., Joe T., Joe C., Ed, Jason L. and I all own the game. I don't think Dan does and I'm not sure about Craig.
    I don't own it, but I've been considering making the purchase. Is it something you have to order online and how much is it?
    "I will calmly wait for my induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame."
    - Sammy Sosa

"Get a comfy chair, Sammy, cause its gonna be a long wait."
    - Craig Ashley (AKA Windy City Fan)

--1921 sounds good to me.
    --Craig, DMB runs about 50.00. It would be a one time expense for the CKL as I provide all the seasons. I assume there would be no follow on costs for Lew's league either. Here is the website http://www.diamond-mind.com/contactus.html

Quote Originally Posted by leecemark View Post
    --1921 sounds good to me.
    --Craig, DMB runs about 50.00. It would be a one time expense for the CKL as I provide all the seasons. I assume there would be no follow on costs for Lew's league either. Here is the website http://www.diamond-mind.com/contactus.html
    No additional costs here, either. If you plan on remaining involved in CKL and/or any other DM leagues, I do highly recommend it. I was simply thinking that if everyone had the game, there would be no need to post a file - a new DB could simply be mailed out to all owners after each series.

Page 51 of 76 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast