Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Encyclopedia of Women and Baseball

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    6,484

    Encyclopedia of Women and Baseball

    has anyone seen this book by leaslie heaphy and mel may?

    how is it broken down?
    is there good info in here or just common knowledge?
    how much does it talk about women outside the aagpbl?
    is there a good deal of info prior to 1940?

    thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Long Island, NY - Dallas, TX
    Posts
    496
    This book was suppose to come out in November of 2005, but now slated to be release early spring of 2006.

    I have spoken to Leslie Heapley several times in the last two years. It will cover far more than just the AAGPBL. I for one am excited to see it. I might be a whole 15 characters in the book somewhere, but that's good enough for me

    When it comes out, I'll be sure to let you know. I believe the book will be sold at around $50.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Long Island, NY - Dallas, TX
    Posts
    496
    to be released spring/summer of 2006 and in the 1st stage of production.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    seattle, WA
    Posts
    3,686
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepingBaseball

    When it comes out, I'll be sure to let you know.
    I'll be looking for it, and I hope it's a hit with others as well.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    North Idaho
    Posts
    279
    Alice "Lefty" Hohlmayer raffled away an old autographed baseball about four years at Point Loma Nazarene University. My wife won! Hohlmayer played in the women's baseball league during the forties and fifties, the league that the movie "A League of Our Own" was based on. She also attened a SABR meeting in San Diego that I attended, showing old home movies from that league: parts of games, practice times, etc.

    Anyway, her name is not on the ball, but following are some of the names that are: Vivian Martinez, Kathy Ryan, Elaine Martin, Lisa Schenk, and Kim Osness. The ball is now yellowed and obviously from a long time ago. It's identified as a Tournament AAA, No.100, 12 Inch, Long Fibre Kapok, "Elastic Shell" Winding.

    I'm hoping the book to come out will shed some light as to which team it was signed by.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Long Island, NY - Dallas, TX
    Posts
    496
    Quote Originally Posted by SABR Steve
    Alice "Lefty" Hohlmayer raffled away an old autographed baseball about four years at Point Loma Nazarene University. My wife won! Hohlmayer played in the women's baseball league during the forties and fifties, the league that the movie "A League of Our Own" was based on. She also attened a SABR meeting in San Diego that I attended, showing old home movies from that league: parts of games, practice times, etc.

    Anyway, her name is not on the ball, but following are some of the names that are: Vivian Martinez, Kathy Ryan, Elaine Martin, Lisa Schenk, and Kim Osness. The ball is now yellowed and obviously from a long time ago. It's identified as a Tournament AAA, No.100, 12 Inch, Long Fibre Kapok, "Elastic Shell" Winding.

    I'm hoping the book to come out will shed some light as to which team it was signed by.
    With the exception of Alice "Lefty" Hohlmayer, I have never heard of the others. I tried looking them up myself, but came up short of nothing.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    6,484
    so did i but the book did say if they didn't play ten games they probably wouldn't be listed

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Long Island, NY - Dallas, TX
    Posts
    496
    Quote Originally Posted by bkmckenna
    so did i but the book did say if they didn't play ten games they probably wouldn't be listed
    I havent seen anything in relations to 10 games or more to be listed. According to the publisher, McFarland, the book description is as follows:

    Women have been involved in baseball from the game’s early days, in a wide range of capacities. This ambitious encyclopedia provides information on women players, managers, teams, leagues, and issues since the mid–19th century. Players are listed by maiden name with married name, when known, in parentheses. Information provided includes birth date, death date, team, dates of play, career statistics and brief biographical notes when available. Related entries are noted for easy cross-reference. Appendices include the rosters of the World War II era All American Girls Professional Baseball League teams; the standings and championships from the AAGPBL; and all women’s baseball teams and players identified to date.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by SABR Steve
    following are some of the names that are: Vivian Martinez, Kathy Ryan, Elaine Martin, Lisa Schenk, and Kim Osness.
    The closest I've come to any of the names was a Audrey Schenck who played for the Chicago Colleens and the Springfield Sallies, both in 1950. Traveling teams, both of them. Alice may never had anything, directly, to do with the ball before she got it for the auction, however, as she played in 1950 for 2 different traveling teams as well...it may have been signed by a combination of players from both teams after a game. "Lisa" could be a nickname for Audrey...though I don't know why.

    Are the names on the ball still really clear or could it be a possible smudge on one (or all) of the names? The book I do own with the players' names does have some of the womens' nicknames, but just because it doesn't have a nickname listed doesn't necessarily mean that player didn't have one.

    It's possible that "Audrey" might just be "Lisa"...or vice versa.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Long Island, NY - Dallas, TX
    Posts
    496
    the book is slightly delayed once again and hopefully to be released by end of summer.

    The wait is killing me! LOL

  11. #11

    Lefty's auto ball

    Quote Originally Posted by 5LilPlayers
    The closest I've come to any of the names was a Audrey Schenck who played for the Chicago Colleens and the Springfield Sallies, both in 1950. Traveling teams, both of them. Alice may never had anything, directly, to do with the ball before she got it for the auction, however, as she played in 1950 for 2 different traveling teams as well...it may have been signed by a combination of players from both teams after a game. "Lisa" could be a nickname for Audrey...though I don't know why.

    Are the names on the ball still really clear or could it be a possible smudge on one (or all) of the names? The book I do own with the players' names does have some of the womens' nicknames, but just because it doesn't have a nickname listed doesn't necessarily mean that player didn't have one.

    It's possible that "Audrey" might just be "Lisa"...or vice versa.

    Chances are it was from a softball team before she played in the league. I didn't know any of the names , I'm an Associate member of the AAGPBL Alumni Org. I just spent the weekend at fan fest w/ 7 of the ladies.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Long Island, NY - Dallas, TX
    Posts
    496
    From what I gathered from McFarland:


    Encyclopedia of Women and Baseball

    Edited by Leslie A. Heaphy and Mel Anthony May
    Foreword by Laura Wulf

    ISBN 0-7864-2100-2
    photographs, appendices, bibliography, index
    448pp. hardcover (7 x 10) 2006

    $49.95
    Not Yet Published, Available 8/2006

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepingBaseball
    $49.95
    Not Yet Published, Available 8/2006
    $50?? OUCH! Oh well....I'm still getting it! Hmm...better start saving now or the husband won't let me get it. LOL
    "There is no logical reason why girls shouldn't play baseball. It's not that tough. Not as tough as radio and TV announcers make it out to be ... Some can play better than a lot of guys who've been on that field." ~ Hank Aaron

    "Hitting is timing. Pitching is upsetting timing." ~ Warren Spahn

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Long Island, NY - Dallas, TX
    Posts
    496
    Encyclopedia Update: The book is out and available. Check McFarland website and Amazon to purchase.

    Mine been ordered and eagerly awaiting it's arrival

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Long Island, NY - Dallas, TX
    Posts
    496
    Got my copy tonight...

    wow I'm honored!

  16. #16
    NotAboutEgo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepingBaseball
    Got my copy tonight...

    wow I'm honored!
    How is the book? Does it include modern players as well as those from the past? I may have to check it out.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Long Island, NY - Dallas, TX
    Posts
    496
    I'm happy with it. It included me more than by name, which i was surprise about as i was only expecting just my name on the rooster list.... so obviously including modern players. But alot of missing pieces. Not all of my teamates had entries. Only a few people got their pictures in.

    As i see it, it's a refrence book that easy to navigate thru and look up a player. The book is about 438 pages (including the index). Leslie A. Heaphy did say last month that the book was incomplete as more information is submitted for the new edition of the book. For example, it lists some tournments from 2002 and 2005.. and some say "No results found".

    The bio's of players of past and present are short, sweet, to the point and in most cases there's something personal in it.

    I'm happy with it. Very happy with it. I know it's the first edition of many to come.

  18. #18

    Talking New book Wm BB Ency

    This is a nice begining. It is set up with bios on many players current and former. It's not just AAGPBL players. It also has info on different leagues.A book like this has to start somewhere. I'm currently trying to put info together on the history of wm bb in the state of Michigan. This project is getting larger then I thought it might be. I've got good info on the AAGPBL and Jim Glennie has supplied me with valuable info on the 80's / 90's. I'm finding some info on older history but would like to find more. House of David had some wm barnstorming teams in the teens thru 30's. Could use some help here. Looking for leads on more info.

    GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  19. #19
    NotAboutEgo Guest
    Got my book yesterday, and I love it! I do see where there are some players missing, but I'm sure the next edition will be even better. I love how well the book is organized and how much info is included on, not only players past and present, but also on teams, leagues, organizations, games throughout history, tournaments, rosters, prominent women in baseball, etc.

    Sure is a very good beginning. Can't wait for the next edition!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Long Island, NY - Dallas, TX
    Posts
    496
    The only downfall to the book is the price and the availabilty of it. While I understand why the price is set the way it is, the general public doesnt see it that way. Then again, the general public cant catch a glimpse of it at borders or at Barnes and Nobel. To the best of my knowledge, it's only available online.

    But netherless, it's a great book. Both editors did a great job for the 1st edition. I wonder if the future new editions will be yearly, every other year, or what.

    I do encourage you, if you're a player, to send updates to them as time goes by and to spread the word.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    6,484
    Future editions depend on demand and my guess is it will be a while before female sports history becomes popular.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •