Page 74 of 105 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,480 of 2081

Thread: Cuban Players Defectors

The Michel Abreu move might not mean he's been cleared to play. I believe it's just an off-season procedural move. (I'm not 100% sure, but I don't believe players can be on the Inactive List during the off-season.)

The Toronto Blue Jays drafted Reidier Gonzalez in the 19th Round of the 2005 Draft out of St. Petersburg Junior College in Florida. Gonzalez was originally drafted in the 38th round of the 2004 draft by the Colorado Rockies, but decided to return to school for the 2005 season. Gonzalez had a spectacular start to his professional career before an ankle injury sidelined him for the season.

After breaking onto the scene in 2005, Ray Gonzalez suffered a setback in his progress with an arm injury. The past two years were tough for the talented right-hander and he worked his way back this year and stapled his name back on the prospect map pitching effectively and remaining healthy for the entire season with Lansing.

scout.com

Alexei Ramirez debuted with the Escogido Lions in the Dominican Winter league. According to some reports, he it the ball well. Aybar robbed him once and he almost hit a Grand Slam. He played CF and batted fifth.

http://mlb.mlb.com/milb/stats/stats....pbp&pid=493351

He has sent his documentation to the Commissioner's Office to gain free agency.
    Last edited by Cubano100%; 11-11-2007 at 11:14 AM.

MLB interest in Alexei Ramirez must be kind of light if he's playing winter ball already. MLB teams just saw him at the Pan Am Games, etc., so it's not like he's coming off an injury or a suspension like some other defectors and teams need a chance to scout him. I don't think Ramirez would be risking injury or a bad D.R. performance if he already had some big offers, but I guess time will tell.

Anyway, I don't know why he's trying to sign as a centerfielder in this free agent market. Teams already have Torii Hunter, Andruw Jones, Aaron Rowand, Mike Cameron and Corey Patterson to choose from.

Winter Ball news

Canizares singles, doubles, and triples. Still hitting in mid .270's though

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/winterleagues/?league=car

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Quote Originally Posted by CameronCrazies View Post
    Canizares singles, doubles, and triples. Still hitting in mid .270's though

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/winterleagues/?league=car

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb
    I was watching the game on ESPN Deportes. His double got to LF in a hurry.

Have you heard anything about wether or not the Braves have shown interest in Alexei Ramirez?

Miranda On The Rise

The Yankees’ future at first base is somewhat clouded, but it appears Cuban defector Juan Miranda has emerged as the frontrunner from within the organization.

Miranda started the year with Tampa and finished with Trenton; overall, he batted .265/.350/.471 with 16 homers and 96 RBIs. The Yankees assigned him to the AFL, and he has drawn praise from not only Franklin but from scouts as well.

“This guy’s got huge power,” a scout from a National League club said. “He’s a legitimate threat regardless what his ceiling is age-wise.”

Age is a question with Miranda. His official birthdate provided by the club after he signed for $2 million in 2006 is April 23, 1983; but several Cuban sources have the former Pinar Del Rio player with a 1981 birthday (some have a March birthdate, some April), which would make him 26.

“I don’t really care if he’s 26 or 30,” said another scout from an American League club. “The bat has a higher ceiling than a lot of people thought, and he will hit for average too.”

Miranda has been pushing the envelope at first base since he signed, and it appears he’s worked his way past 2003 first-rounder Eric Duncan on the depth chart despite not playing for two years after leaving Cuba.

“I would think that after this season we’ll really be able to get a handle on where he stacks up,” Franklin said. “What I like about Juan and what I think the organization’s tried to do with him is to have him to be as aggressive as he can while being selective as he can be. He’s going to strike out some–that’s inevitable–but we don’t want him to give up anything where the power is concerned.

“He’s got the capability to take a ball that’s away from him and (drive) it out of the yard. He can hit a ball that’s up out of the yard and has the ability to hit balls down low in the strike zone and somehow make solid contact. He has enough power to hit balls out of any park no matter where it’s pitched.”

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=626

Blog Entries
    Alexei Ramirez has signed with the Leones del Escogido

This article is in Spanish:
    http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/news...bei&type=story

His stats so far:
    http://mlb.mlb.com/milb/stats/stats....pbp&pid=493351

Barbaro Canizares approaching 300 average in Mexico.

http://www.mlb.com/milb/stats/stats....ulwin_navwin_1

I am Cardoso's friend

I will ask him if he reported to MLB, where can I find the rules for Cuban players?

thank you

what are the RUles for the Cuban players!

Quote Originally Posted by Agente Libre View Post
    The story talks about Cardoso maybe getting drafted, but unless he notified MLB he was in the U.S., he'll have to wait until the 2008 draft. (It doesn't sound like he has an agent; just a friend who is helping him get around. I doubt the friend knows about MLB's rules for Cubans.)
    I met Cardoso he is a great pitcher!

Seattle Fan -- Cardoso is an interesting guy but the fact he didn't get drafted and apparently still hasn't signed a contract either means MLB teams aren't interested or Cardoso has just fallen through the cracks. If I recall, he was kind of an average pitcher in the Cuban National Series, so he will need to be proactive to get his pro/MLB career started.

(Also, check your private messages. Thanks.)
    Last edited by Agente Libre; 11-20-2007 at 02:05 PM.

1B Omar Yapur has signed with the Leones del León in Nicaragua.

Former Holguin Hounds outfielder Maikel Pena Rodriguez is in the Dominican Republic.
    Last edited by Cubano100%; 11-21-2007 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubano100% View Post
    1B Omar Yapur has signed with the Leones del León in Nicaragua.
    Who is Omar Yapur? I've never heard of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubano100% View Post
    A cuban forumer in the Dominican Republic wrote that former Holguin Hounds outfielder Maikel Pena Rodriguez is in the Dominican Republic.
    I don't have an age for Pena but he doesn't look like much of a prospect based on his stats. I hope he didn't move from the U.S. to the D.R. just to try to be a free agent. It might take him years to get back.

According to cubanball.com, Omar Llapur was an OF for Industriales who defected in February 2005. As per Maikel Pena Rodriguez, I've never heard of him, can you enlighten me?
    Yankees' payroll: $250 millions
    Marlins' payroll: $50 millions
    Marlins winning The Series: Priceless

"Visiting Americans love going to Cuban games because with no free agency, no franchise movement and no owners blackmailing cities for new stadiums, it all smacks of 1950's America, ignoring the inconvenient fact that such a fantasyland is only possible in a dictatorship"-S.L. Price

Llapur left Cuba in the same group with Juan Miranda.
    Yankees' payroll: $250 millions
    Marlins' payroll: $50 millions
    Marlins winning The Series: Priceless

"Visiting Americans love going to Cuban games because with no free agency, no franchise movement and no owners blackmailing cities for new stadiums, it all smacks of 1950's America, ignoring the inconvenient fact that such a fantasyland is only possible in a dictatorship"-S.L. Price

does anyone know if there's a website that can be found that has approximate ages, height, weight and other personal information on current Cuban baseball players? I'd love to be able to add the Cuban national league to the roster set i am making for the baseball game OOTP

Quote Originally Posted by J.P View Post
    According to cubanball.com, Omar Llapur was an OF for Industriales who defected in February 2005. As per Maikel Pena Rodriguez, I've never heard of him, can you enlighten me?

Maikel Pena Rodriguez

SN 42

Code:
     NOMBRE                            JJ    CB    VB    C     H    AVE   2B  3B   HR    TB    SLU  BR  CR   CI  SH  SF  DB   BB  BI   SO   BD IO   EE  EBF
     PEÑA RODRIGUEZ, MAIKEL            75   290   251   34    85   .339   13   1   10   130   .518   2   0   36   1   0  13   25   4   54    7  0    2   15
    SN 44

Code:
     NOMBRE                            JJ    CB    VB    C     H    AVE   2B  3B   HR    TB    SLU  BR  CR   CI  SH  SF  DB   BB  BI   SO   BD IO   EE  EBF 	
    PEÑA RODRIGUEZ, MAIKEL            24    92    78    6    21   .269    7   0    2    34   .436   0   0   10   1   1   1   11   0   18    2  0    0    3

He did not play in SN 43 and SN 46. I do not know whether or not he played before SN 42. His SN 42 numbers are not bad. If he is young, he may do something. I translated the stats from Spanish to English at the beginning of the Cuban Baseball Structure Thread.

Page 74 of 105 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast