Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looks like Dodgers got Furcal

Looks like Dodgers got Furcal

LA Times reporting Dodgers have agreed in principle to a 3 year $40 million contract with free agent SS Rafael Furcal. If this turns out to be true, which I imagine it will, you guys just bought yourselves a great shortstop but way overpaid for him.
    Let's go Braves!!

Quote Originally Posted by ATL22
    LA Times reporting Dodgers have agreed in principle to a 3 year $40 million contract with free agent SS Rafael Furcal. If this turns out to be true, which I imagine it will, you guys just bought yourselves a great shortstop but way overpaid for him.

Return to glory we let you guys have your fun for 15 years

But the Dodgers like every great champion return from the dead

Thats great news
    Born True Blue

congrats on getting furcal guys, a have a question, what do you think will happen to izturis? will he shift over to another infield position or will he be traded. i dont follow the dodgers to much and im just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Mac
    congrats on getting furcal guys, a have a question, what do you think will happen to izturis? will he shift over to another infield position or will he be traded. i dont follow the dodgers to much and im just curious.
    It's anyone's guess, but Izzy's not due back until next June or July anyway because of his elbow surgery. Some have speculated his move to 2nd base and Kent's to 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis9045
    It's anyone's guess, but Izzy's not due back until next June or July anyway because of his elbow surgery. Some have speculated his move to 2nd base and Kent's to 1st.
    cool, thanks man

Blog Entries
    I guess this means Oscar Robles and Willy Aybar will be playing 3rd base in 2005.

I also see either Izturis or Antonio Perez as trade bait on 7/31/06.
    SOUVENEZ-VOUS LES EXPOS!!!
    "The future's uncertain and the end is always near" - Jim Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Jake83
    Return to glory we let you guys have your fun for 15 years

But the Dodgers like every great champion return from the dead
    The Dodgers may indeed be returning to contention but it won't be solely because of Furcal. He's a role player and a good one but he's not somebody that's going to carry the team. He had a terrific second half last year after an awful first half. I think a lot of Braves fans will be interested to see if the red hot, slick fielding Furcal of last summer was the real deal or just the product of a kick in the pants from his agent in a contract year. His defense was much improved pretty much all year last year after he had made a ton of errors every year prior to that. But his offense only kicked in after the All Star Break and that's the part I'm not sure was for real. Furcal will dazzle you at times and drive you crazy at others. He can slap down a bunt and beat it out but too often he thinks he's a power hitter and goes into two week slumps, which kills his OBP. I think Furcal will do well in LA but for what you're paying him, he'd better be a stinkin MVP candidate to earn that money!
    Let's go Braves!!

Quote Originally Posted by ATL22
    The Dodgers may indeed be returning to contention but it won't be solely because of Furcal. He's a role player and a good one but he's not somebody that's going to carry the team. He had a terrific second half last year after an awful first half. I think a lot of Braves fans will be interested to see if the red hot, slick fielding Furcal of last summer was the real deal or just the product of a kick in the pants from his agent in a contract year. His defense was much improved pretty much all year last year after he had made a ton of errors every year prior to that. But his offense only kicked in after the All Star Break and that's the part I'm not sure was for real. Furcal will dazzle you at times and drive you crazy at others. He can slap down a bunt and beat it out but too often he thinks he's a power hitter and goes into two week slumps, which kills his OBP. I think Furcal will do well in LA but for what you're paying him, he'd better be a stinkin MVP candidate to earn that money!

McCourt can have a 400 million or 4 million payroll it doesn't matter just as long as we win again

Quote Originally Posted by mojorisin71
    I guess this means Oscar Robles and Willy Aybar will be playing 3rd base in 2005.

I also see either Izturis or Antonio Perez as trade bait on 7/31/06.

Why not Nomar at 3rd

At first I wanted the Mets to sign Furcal to play 2B, but then I realized that spending more than $8 mil per year on him was insane.
    ~MOE

Moonlight Graham
    ...one game, no at-bats...

RisingApple.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gagne#3 8
    Why not Nomar at 3rd

I doubt the Dodgers will sign Nomar. Colleti has said it wasn't worth the risk

An interesting move to a team that does not yet have a manager??
    "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

We do now, I have to agree with Jake83, I think this season will be a return to glory. (I may be biased)
    Born True Blue

Maybe a return to first place in the West...
    ~MOE

Moonlight Graham

RisingApple.com

Ya Im gonna listen to a guy who like the Mets
    Born True Blue

Quote Originally Posted by moebarguy
    Maybe a return to first place in the West...

Return for first in the West for you and maybe we will knock you out in the NLCS like in 88

Quote Originally Posted by ElCaminoSS
    Ya Im gonna listen to a guy who like the Mets
    Maybe you should, we Mets fans are very realistic people. We've got a much better team than you guys right now, but you don't see us calling out a return to glory.

Here's your return to glory:
    C Dionar Navarro (pretty good prospect, but it will be his first full season)
    1B Hee Seop Choi (bust)
    2B Jeff Kent (won't get many RBI opportunities in this lineup)
    SS Rafael Furcal ($13 mil per year...joke...a guy whose best OBP came his rookie year)
    3B Willy Aybar/Oscar Robles/Antonio Perez/Joel Guzman (Guzman is a good prospect, but he won't get the call until mid-season)
    LF Jose Cruz Jr./Jayson Werth (nothing here)
    CF Milton Bradley (if he keeps his mouth shut, he could actually have a good year)
    RF J.D. Drew (had a great contract year with the Braves, then went back to being an injured, wasted talent)

SP Brad Penny (good pitcher, but has yet to win more than 14 games in his career)
    SP Derek Lowe (another bad investment)
    SP Odalis Perez (pretty good pitcher)
    SP Edwin Jackson (fluke)
    SP D.J. Houlton (hopefully they will trade for another starting pitcher)

CL Eric Gagne (hope that he has recovered)
    RP Yhency Brazoban (hopefully he can be more effective in this role than he was taking over as closer late last season)
    ~MOE

Moonlight Graham

RisingApple.com

Return for first in the West for you and maybe we will knock you out in the NLCS like in 88
    Not with your team ya won't :-)
    ~MOE

Moonlight Graham

RisingApple.com

Not with your team ya won't :-)

We lead the NL in attendance where were you.

but you don't see us calling out a return to glory.
    Thats because you have no glory to return to
    Born True Blue

One fluke world series and one that was given to them great Glory Mets. Contiune to be in the Yankee shadow

Blog Entries
    It means absolutely nothing. I'd take last place in attendance if it meant being World Series Champs again.

As a Dodger fan, I can't root against the guys on the field, but I'm not going to start buying 2006 playoff tickets either. It's one thing to be a fan of your team. It's another thing to proclaim them as the second coming of the 1927 Yankees. (Speaking of which, most Yankee fans have considered their team WS-worthy these last five years, and look where that got them). One player alone does not guarantee a WS, especially when our biggest needs have yet to be addressed.

How about we wait until the season begins to evaluate these players? The 2005 team looked good on paper as well.
    SOUVENEZ-VOUS LES EXPOS!!!
    "The future's uncertain and the end is always near" - Jim Morrison

Coming to the game in the 4th inning and leaving in the 7th...
    ~MOE

Moonlight Graham

RisingApple.com

I believe we were in the World Series in 2000...
    ~MOE

Moonlight Graham

RisingApple.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast