View Poll Results: Do you miss Nos Amours?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, deeply, it's quiet here.

58 79.45%
  • No, team wouldn't last anyway

2 2.74%
  • I don't know

3 4.11%
  • I don't care

10 13.70%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you miss the Expos?

Unhappy Do you miss the Expos?

Stupid question, I know.
    I'm just curious.
    Cristobal

awexpos4ever Guest
    In hindsight I miss the "REAL" Expos - I've spent so much time researching Expos history that now I think of the team from 1998 & after differently than 1997 and before ... the last 7 seasons, except for a few great moments (i.e. 2003) were miserable ... I don't miss Frank Robinson, Tony Tavares, the art-collector and his midget step-son ...

But do I miss travelling half a day to get to the Stade, do I miss Jarry Park, I miss Vlad, Rock, Eli, Cro, Hawk, the Kid, Sigh, El Presidente and the remaining cast of charatcters .. sure do!

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by awexpos4ever
    In hindsight I miss the "REAL" Expos - I've spent so much time researching Expos history that now I think of the team from 1998 & after differently than 1997 and before ... the last 7 seasons, except for a few great moments (i.e. 2003) were miserable ... I don't miss Frank Robinson, Tony Tavares, the art-collector and his midget step-son ...

But do I miss travelling half a day to get to the Stade, do I miss Jarry Park, I miss Vlad, Rock, Eli, Cro, Hawk, the Kid, Sigh, El Presidente and the remaining cast of charatcters .. sure do!
    I'll miss Brad Wilkerson, Le Grand Orange, The Hawk, The Kid, Tim Raines and everyone except: the father(loria ), the son(samson) and bud-the greased.
    Cristobal

Blog Entries
    I sure miss them.

Quote Originally Posted by wilkerson_rulz
    Stupid question, I know.
    I'm just curious.
    Not a stupid question there.

I miss the Expos too.

I miss seeing those cool uniforms.

Yankeebiscuitfan Guest
    I sure miss them. I miss the search for the results. I miss positive feeling when I saw that they won and the anger when they lost.

To me it is a lot easier to bear, because I am not from Montreal and I have three other teams to root for. But they were sure my second favorite team.

I will always cherish the two Expos caps I have.

Every day.
    Please read the Baseball Fever Site Policy and FAQ before posting.
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

I started working nights this summer. Those west coast road swings would have been even more enjoyable than before.
    From now until the end of September, I'll be chronicling in real time on Twitter the 1946 season of the International league's Montréal Royals, when Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in professional baseball. Check it out: https://twitter.com/Royals_46season

Ohh yeah!!
    Sure I miss them... I remember the 03 season, that was our year, we had Bartolo Colon, Livan Hernandez, Orlando Hernandez (El Duque = The Duce), Armas Junior, Vidro, Guerrero, Orlando Cabrerra, Michael Barrett ..... Man, I 'm tellin' you guys, the 03 season was ours..........(We shouldn't have lost against the Philies in the last series of the season)
    Loria and his partner in crime, Samson, will pay for this!!!!
    REMEMBER THE EXPOS

Unhappy I sure do!

Hi everyone! I can't believe I just found this site being a life-time baseball fan. I'm from a coaster city in Mexico named "Mazatlan" (you might've been there if you were a spring-breaker, hehe ), with its own baseball team named "Venados" (Deers) who won the 2005 Caribbean Series.

Anyway when I found this thread, many memories came to me again... It was mid december 1990, a few days before Christmas, when wandering around a store, I suddenly saw it... it seemed funny at first glance, so I took a second glance... it wasn't funny! it was quite outstanding among the others!... it was a Montrèal Expos cap; the first model they wore: white, blue and red.

I was 13 y/o, completely broke at the time, wishing to have in my pocket the $20 USD it costed. Then, like fallen from heaven, there she was: my mother (1953-2004)... I begged for money like a dog! , I promised I would behave (didn't! ), promised more than a politician and after all that struggle, I got it as one of my Christmas presents, maybe one of the most reminded gifts I've ever got. From that day on, I knew I would cheer for the Expos no matter what... and the years went by... some thrilling seasons, like the 1994 season, I was in the US at the time, I was 17 y/o and eager to attend to a MLB game at San Diego, hoping the Expos were playing against the Padres those days I was staying there, but they didn't... then, the strike.. Oh, my good Lord, they were first in NL and now they suspended the season! I felt frustrated like no other time in my life...

And then, one of those days, one of my friends, a girl from Montrèal I met over the Yahoo! chat quite a few years ago, gave me the stunishing notice: Lacking attendance, The Expos were broke and the other MLB teams were to buy them... It sound bad, very bad... the rest is history. I was eager to sell my soul if that got me a ticket to attend my beloved Expos' last season's game. Some tears rolled down my face when the last man was out... It was the end of the Expos and a part of my teenage memories was taken apart from me...

So my answer to that question is: YES! A LOT! I do miss them althoug I never got the chance to watch them play live.

Touching Story, ElVenado...Welcome to Baseball-Fever, if you stick around, you will learn to love this place. Feel free to post anything about the Expos, we're always looking for some fresh discussion!
    Please read the Baseball Fever Site Policy and FAQ before posting.
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Gjm130
    Ohh yeah!!
    Sure I miss them... I remember the 03 season, that was our year, we had Bartolo Colon, Livan Hernandez, Orlando Hernandez (El Duque = The Duce), Armas Junior, Vidro, Guerrero, Orlando Cabrerra, Michael Barrett ..... Man, I 'm tellin' you guys, the 03 season was ours..........(We shouldn't have lost against the Philies in the last series of the season)
    Loria and his partner in crime, Samson, will pay for this!!!!
    The best season ever!
    I saw them the night they crushed the PHillies 8-0 and tied the MArlins (who lost 9-0) for the wild card lead.

Memories...
    Cristobal

Quote Originally Posted by awexpos4ever

I miss them because of their ability to develop players and a lot of them. Had they been able to retain players, they may have fielded one of the greatest teams of all time. The 1994 team was the best in baseball before the season was canceled, and a World Series victory could have been the start of something big.

I think the first nail in the coffin was Olympic Stadium, the second one was the strike shortened 1994 season, and the third was baseball economics. It bothers me that MLB didn't try harder to save the franchise in Montreal.

yes

Do you miss the Expos?

I miss the Expos. I was so glad I got a chance to see them play in Montreal in their last year. I saw them play the Cubs on 8-30-04.

It seems so many great players played for the Montreal Expos at one time or another. Al Oliver, Pete Rose, Andre Dawson, Tim Raines, Gary Carter and Randy Johnson. Also many good role players like Rex Hudler and Wallace Johnson.

The Expos will never be forgotten.

Two years ago, I made the trip to Montreal to see the Expos. I was there the last week in August, first week of September. Saw them play the Dodgers and Cubs. Tim Wallach was introduced, was a bit reluctant to come out of the dugout, but got a standing O fromthe 18k+ in attendance. I had to go to see them one last time.

Last year, '05, I followed the Nats, I guess it was mainly because of the players. But my heart really wasn't in it. And now, after all the trades making the team hardly recognizable anymore. I may have become one of those who has fallen by the wayside. I don't really follow any team anymore. Oh, I still check the Nat's boxscore everyday, but I also check the Angels( Vlad, Cabs, Izturis and Rivera) and the Rangers(Wilks).

It just ain't the same, and will never be again.

The same goes for this forum. Oh, I keep having a look, but my participation is way down.

For the first time in nearly 50 years, my MLB interest is fading very fast.

By the way, mikey s, it's good to see you're still checking in.
    CBk Oldtimer #16 now #29

Blog Entries
    Being Canadian, and from a largely French neighborhood, it's impossible not to miss them. But they're a lot closer to my new home, and now I can finally go see them. I care, but I care less than the rest of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Monarchs29
    Two years ago, I made the trip to Montreal to see the Expos. I was there the last week in August, first week of September. Saw them play the Dodgers and Cubs. Tim Wallach was introduced, was a bit reluctant to come out of the dugout, but got a standing O fromthe 18k+ in attendance. I had to go to see them one last time.

Last year, '05, I followed the Nats, I guess it was mainly because of the players. But my heart really wasn't in it. And now, after all the trades making the team hardly recognizable anymore. I may have become one of those who has fallen by the wayside. I don't really follow any team anymore. Oh, I still check the Nat's boxscore everyday, but I also check the Angels( Vlad, Cabs, Izturis and Rivera) and the Rangers(Wilks).

It just ain't the same, and will never be again.

The same goes for this forum. Oh, I keep having a look, but my participation is way down.

For the first time in nearly 50 years, my MLB interest is fading very fast.

By the way, mikey s, it's good to see you're still checking in.

And it's good to hear from you Monarch. Hope all is well in western NFLD.
    From now until the end of September, I'll be chronicling in real time on Twitter the 1946 season of the International league's Montréal Royals, when Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in professional baseball. Check it out: https://twitter.com/Royals_46season

As an O's fan...I'd like to send them home. They are taking some of our fans away
    Orioles: Once fine organization, being run into the ground by Peter Angelos.

That depends if you are talking about the pre-strike Expos then yes, they could have been great with all of those players and maybe we wouldnt have had to deal with tha Yankees.

Yes, I miss the Expos. Very much. Baseball isn't the same without them. It also isn't the same since they went to three divisions and the Brewers went to the National League.

Speaking of Tim Wallach, I liked him as we share the same birthday.

I do miss them...as a former student of Plattsburgh State University (Upstate NY), they were my connection to Major League Baseball while up there, and they moved out mu junior year...I was too far from New York City, and I just generally enjoyed our excursions to Montreal anyway...and the Molson Dry...

Viva Le' Expos

Quote Originally Posted by Chisox73
    Not a stupid question there.

I miss the Expos too.

I miss seeing those cool uniforms.
    Yeah, miss'em as well....sure wish MLB would have let them move to
    Detroit, and set up shop in vacant Tiger stadium....

love the uniforms, wasn't too fond of the original hats...ugh!

the later uniforms, at the end and hats--were great as well..

How could you not miss such colorful franchise?
    I wish MLB could go back to Montreal someday.
    any baseball is beautiful. It is a perfect object for a man's hand. Pick it up and it instantly suggests its purpose; it is meant to be thrown a considerable distance – thrown hard and with precision. Its feel and heft are the beginning of the sport's critical dimensions.

Nos Amours
    1969-2004

Gone,not fogotten

I confess I Miss the Expos of Montreal,when i was very much-younger,i had a friend,who adopted the Expos,He was also a big fan of the Montreal Canadiens,The American Basketball Association,off the chart kinda teams..Well I was much more a "conservative",with my allienances,growing up here in New England,Bruins,Red Sox,Pats,Celtics,etc...When we were growing up,we got our hands on as many APBA,or strat-o-matic games,that we could play...we played for hours on end......I can still remember it vividly..I can still remember,my 67 Red Sox,defeating his 73 Expos in a 7 game series,on APBA game,with 4 hitless innings of relief by John Wyatt,and Jose Santiago,winning 2-1...When we got a little older,we didnt play as much as we used 2,but(when we did)The Expos were a damn good team in the mid 70s...He got his revenge,The Expos,Carter,Dawson,Rodgers,That Outfield,Dave Cash,et al,beat my 75 Red Sox,or The Phillies,or The Reds,of that era...We got a lot older,and,"those games"didnt happen much anymore,but in 1995,we happened to meet again,we had a chance to talk about how the strike of 94,prob cost the expos their chance to be in the WS,well for the last time,we rolled the dice,and played that game,again,i think i was the 93 Phillies,well i beat him in the series like 4-1,it was a good weekend....My friend died at 47 about 4 yrs ago,and thats why i miss the Expos

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast