Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rumors Sammy Sosa Going National

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hannah
    From an interview with Jose Gullien this afternoon.

http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=398&sid=682478

Gullien says his shoulder was basically reconstructed over the off season and he may not be ready until May.

This has got to be the reason the Nats are even considering Sosa for a minor league deal-a weak insurance policy and hoping against hope Sosa finds himself. At least Bowden has restrained himself and sticks to the non-guaranteed minor league deal.

What is the point of having Anderson, Jackson, Tucker, Fick, Watson, Church, Escobar, and Godwin on that depth chart if we are just going to sign Sammy Sosa when one of our starters goes down?
    The Q: Can the Cubs hold a 6-5 lead with 2 outs and nobody on in the 9th?

The A: No

***********My Rant on Bud Selig***********
    Selig is like a stray pigeon. Pigeons are too self-absorbed to care about anyone else. They poo on people they don't like; they poo on people they don't even know. The only real difference between Selig and a pigeon is that Selig intends to bury our heritage, our traditions, and our culture,

I do completely loathe Sammy Sosa, but if they're giving him minimal money (which is appears they are), I'm not opposed to it. I guess there may be a very, very small chance he'll return to be a pretty good slugger. It's not like they're putting a lot of mony on the table and taking a big risk with him. From what I understand it's a "whatever we get is a bonus" mentality trade.

Quote Originally Posted by KingJ
    What is the point of having Anderson, Jackson, Tucker, Fick, Watson, Church, Escobar, and Godwin on that depth chart if we are just going to sign Sammy Sosa when one of our starters goes down?
    The Nationals are banking on a long shot and aren't willing to put a whole into it-non-guaranteed money and the offer of a minor league contract. If Sosa shows poor in ST there a real good chance he wouldn't take a minor league deal when he doesn't travel north in April. I understand he has offers from Japan and could go that instead.

I don't think the Nationals are counting a whole lot on Sammy staying with the organization. Kind of like catching lightening in a bottle with very little money down.

Hopefully Guillen makes a better than expected recovery like Vidro apparently is...

I also want Bowden to do Soriano for Adam Dunn more after this article:

Dunn says he played most of season with broken hand

Any LF/1B who plays 160 games and hits 40 HRs, has a near .400 OBP, can steal 20 bases, and only commit 5 field error WITH A BROKEN HAND (Soriano won't even play if he is 15 ft from 2B) is somebody we need on our ball club.
    The Q: Can the Cubs hold a 6-5 lead with 2 outs and nobody on in the 9th?

The A: No

***********My Rant on Bud Selig***********
    Selig is like a stray pigeon. Pigeons are too self-absorbed to care about anyone else. They poo on people they don't like; they poo on people they don't even know. The only real difference between Selig and a pigeon is that Selig intends to bury our heritage, our traditions, and our culture,

Quote Originally Posted by KingJ
    Hopefully Guillen makes a better than expected recovery like Vidro apparently is...

I also want Bowden to do Soriano for Adam Dunn more after this article:

Dunn says he played most of season with broken hand

Any LF/1B who plays 160 games and hits 40 HRs, has a near .400 OBP, can steal 20 bases, and only commit 5 field error WITH A BROKEN HAND (Soriano won't even play if he is 15 ft from 2B) is somebody we need on our ball club.
    Oh yeah. Dunn is and will be a great player for years to come in this league. On the Sosa point, I honestly don't think we need him. Why take away from the young guys like Church Watson and Byrd by bringing in Sosa. I understand that we are giving him minimal money and not taking much of a risk, but I really do not think it is necessary.

"Hey crazy eyes I brought your pizza"
    "Mmm oreos and gumballs"

I hope it doesn't get done, but if you remember Washington wanted to trade for Samme before he was trade to Baltimore. Personally I think Sosa should hang up his spikes. He had some great years for the CUBS, but He was most likely on Roids, and is to proud to admit it. Face it Baltimore made a mistake by trading for him, but the CUBS got the better of the deal Hairston and Murton. It's time for Samme to retire to D.R.

THE CUBS WILL BE IN THE MIX IN 2006

...and on...

The linked article concerns the signings of Rodriguez and Clayton, but noteworthy is the last paragraph, Nationals Notes.

Nationals Notes: Bowden said there was nothing new to report and no new talks scheduled between the team and free agent slugger Sammy Sosa, whom the Nationals have tried to lure with an offer of a non-guaranteed, minor league contract. Sosa apparently is willing to wait to see if another team offers a guaranteed deal.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...020202198.html

It appears Sammy isn't all that hot to jump on the Nationals offer. Maybe it would behoove him to orient himself toward the land of the rising sun.

It does my heart good to see Bowden isn't going off the deep end here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12