Thread: Paul Lindblad Dies

Unhappy Paul Lindblad Dies

Former A's Reliver Paul Lindblad Dies
    http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/NAS...=.jsp&c_id=oak

ARLINGTON -- Paul Lindblad, a middle reliever who pitched in the World Series for the Oakland Athletics and New York Yankees, has died after a long bout with Alzheimer's disease.

Lindblad was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 1993 and spent the last nine years in a nursing home. He died on New Year's Day. He was 64.

Lindblad pitched 14 seasons, his last game coming for the New York Yankees against the Los Angeles Dodgers in the 1978 World Series.

The left-hander was part of two World Series championship teams in Oakland, pitching the ninth and 10th innings to win the Athletics' 11-inning game over the New York Mets in 1973. He didn't make an appearance in the 1974 World Series.

At his funeral last week, Lindblad's casket was flanked by two replica World Series trophies.

The pitcher known as "Bladder" was 68-63 with 64 saves with a 3.29 ERA in 655 games for the Kansas City Athletics (1965-67), Oakland Athletics (1968-71 and 1973-76); Washington Senators (1971); Texas (1972 and 1977-78); and the Yankees (1978).

Lindblad was the last pitcher faced by Hall of Famer Willie Mays, who grounded out as a pinch-hitter to end the 11-inning World Series game in 1973. On the final day of the 1975 regular season against the California Angels, Lindblad combined with Vida Blue, Glenn Abbott and Rollie Fingers on a no-hitter.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

For Paul Lindbald's career stats,click here.

Truly sad, he was a top notch middle reliever, I always liked Paul.

Another ballplayer joins the big ballgame in the sky

God speed Mr. Lindblad.
    "YA GOTTA BELIEVE!"- Tug McGraw

"You see, you spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out it was the other way around all the time"- Jim Bouton, the last line in Ball Four

"I don't care if the guy (Jackie Robinson) is yellow or black, or if he has stripes like a g**-damn zebra. I'm the manager of this team and I say he plays."- Leo Durocher

Too bad... Rest in peace...
    WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

I remember hearing years ago that Lindblad had contracted Alzheimer's. A real shame. I'm sure he's at peace now.

He was part of the A's very strong bullpen in the early and mid '70s, and an excellent lefthanded compliment to Rollie Fingers. I recall he was Catfish Hunter's roomate for a time, too.

I seem to recall that he was a fine fielding pitcher. He once had a record streak of 385 consecutive errorless games.