• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jbooth
    Instructor
    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by hiddengem
    We are working on getting a clip up of Tony Gwynn hitting the same pitch.
    Here is the clip you sent me, I'll let you comment on it;

Comment

• MSandman
      • Jan 2006

Is the actual video clip (GIF, AVI, MPG, etc.) available?

I can see very similar body positions to Jim's at this point in the swing (on this pitch, THIS TIME). Let me ask you something tho (and I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I genuinely am inquiring)... is this the USUAL way to hit an inside pitch? Or do you normally try to hit it out front more?

If the purpose of this drill is to still allow a hitter to get the barrel on the ball when he's a bit late/fooled, then I can see it might help w/ that. However, do you actually TEACH players to go after the inside pitch in this manner?

FWIW, here's another one:

Now I know that Gonzalez is definitely standing further away from the plate than Jim. But if Jim were standing back in his normal position (relative to the plate), wouldn't the pitch he's swinging at be WAY inside?

Again, my gut instinct suggests that this drill is practicing something that we'd only need to do "by accident". Am I all wet?
      Last edited by MSandman; 01-25-2006, 11:13 AM.

Comment

• hiddengem
        ~I Walk The Line~
        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by MSandman
        Is the actual video clip (GIF, AVI, MPG, etc.) available?
        Believe it or not, I have this clip paused on my TV, and I took a picture of it with my digital camera. The DVD is made by MLB productions and its called Hitters on Hitting Finding the Sweet spot. I would highly reccomend it. Has a whole section on T. Williams, and has alot of great clips and swings from great hitters.

I can see very similar body positions to Jim's at this point in the swing (on this pitch, THIS TIME). Let me ask you something tho (and I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I genuinely am inquiring)... is this the USUAL way to hit an inside pitch? Or do you normally try to hit it out front more?
        Ok, now that you understand that yes a Major League hitter might get into this position once and a while we can move forward. If you were to see the entire clip of Gwynn taking this swing, you would see that this pitch is in fact a ball off the plate inside and up, but BECAUSE he knows how to start the swing with his shoulders and keep the bat inside the ball(even though he doesn't belive he does this) he is able to keep this very tough pitch, fair.
        If the purpose of this drill is to still allow a hitter to get the barrel on the ball when he's a bit late/fooled, then I can see it might help w/ that. However, do you actually TEACH players to go after the inside pitch in this manner?
        The purpose of the DRILL is show how a hitter should properly stay inside the ball by OVEREMPHASIZING it but getting to a pitch up and in and in a position to KEEP IT FAIR.

This drill has nothing to do with a hitter being fooled or late. And yes I do teach my kids to go at this pitch like that, because if they can stay on a ball in this location by keeping their hands inside it and keep it fair, they will(should) have a clear understanding of how to approach other pitches in better locations.
        Understand?

Now I know that Gonzalez is definitely standing further away from the plate than Jim. But if Jim were standing back in his normal position (relative to the plate), wouldn't the pitch he's swinging at be WAY inside?
        Yes of course, but he's not normall going to swing at that pitch, I hope. Again for the nth time, this is a drill to teach a kid how to properly start the swing so the hands and bat stay inside the ball.
        Again, my gut instinct suggests that this drill is practicing something that we'd only need to do "by accident". Am I all wet?
        Thats perfectly fine, then don't use the drill. This drill is designed to show how you properly keep you hands inside the ball on the MOST difficult pitch to keep fair. If they know how to do it on this pitch and can do it like Gwynn, the other pitchers will become much more easy to keep fair, thats all.

Comment

• Jake Patterson
          Coaching 101 Moderator
          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by wogdoggy
          I see it and I know what you are talking about.i;m not here to argue but to learn and benefit.even though booth can do the drill Im not so sure if its the right thing to teach or use for any reason.I WANT TO BELIEVE,BUT I CAN"T.:noidea

Gem does anybody use this on a pro level?
          We use this as a basic hitting drill. Great for indoor practices. We use it to teach the hitters how to keep their hands inside, teaching the swing inside out. As said above, its difficult (impossible) to do if you swing with your arms. Good for kids.

Jim, your swing ain't bad for old(er) fella.... Just joking..
          Last edited by Jake Patterson; 01-25-2006, 12:47 PM.
          "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
          - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

• MSandman
            • Jan 2006

Fair enough, HG. But as far as I can tell, the drill was never framed as "to practice how to hit up/in pitches". I thought it was being advertised as just a general good thing to do.

I guess my whole point in all of this is centered around this:
            If Jim were to retake this video and stand off the same plate 6-10 inches my guess is that you would see a swing very similar to the ones you see with Troy and Nomar. Its a drill guys.
            So... if Jim would still swing more like the pros when standing further back, then is that because (a) Jim has a good swing (for an ol' fart ) or (b) because the fence/wall guided him to a good inside/out path? IOW, if you put a kid next to the fence - 6-10" further back than Jim is - could the kid still use a very poor swing to get the bat by the fence w/o hitting it? If so, did the drill help the kid?

Comment

• hiddengem
              ~I Walk The Line~
              • Nov 2004

Fair enough, HG. But as far as I can tell, the drill was never framed as "to practice how to hit up/in pitches". I thought it was being advertised as just a general good thing to do.

So... if Jim would still swing more like the pros when standing further back, then is that because (a) Jim has a good swing (for an ol' fart ) or (b) because the fence/wall guided him to a good inside/out path? IOW, if you put a kid next to the fence - 6-10" further back than Jim is - could the kid still use a very poor swing to get the bat by the fence w/o hitting it? If so, did the drill help the kid?

For the last time, this is NOT a drill designed to learn how to specifically hit a pitch up and in. I'm not going to say to myself, today I'm going to go to the cage and work on hitting the pitch chest high on the black of the plate. If I went up to the plate looking for that pitch to hit and swinging at it, I'll be out of my uniform faster than I got into it.

The whole purpose of the drill is to learn how to keep you hands inside the ball correctly and to use rotation to get the bat head to the ball, not by starting the swing with your arms which creates a cast often times.

If you still don't understand what the drill was intended for and why you are doing it, don't do it, becuase we've beat this thing to death and if your not getting it by now, I'm afraid you might not ever get it....Not be rude, I'm just out of ways to explain it at this point. Sorry.

Comment

• MSandman
                • Jan 2006

I DO get it HG, but that doesn't mean I have to agree w/ it.

Dead horse.

Comment

• jbooth
                  Instructor
                  • Oct 2005

I'm going to echo what HG said and then I'm ending the discussion.

The drill is designed to make sure you turn before moving the bat, and keep the hands close to your body while turning. That's it. Why are you making this so difficult? It's really simple.

Comment

• MSandman
                    • Jan 2006

Care to answer my last question then?

Comment

• swingbuster
                      swingbuster
                      • Jan 2006

Good thread...I get everybodies point of view. I can swing inside the ball like that if you let me use your bat.

Another drill can be done with the inside seam drill. Put ball on tee with laces vertical and facing backwards and hit the inside seam. THis swing IS over the plate and the mechanics are very sound.

Comment

• Ursa Major
                        • Apr 2005

Sandman, you have to understand the historical genesis of Jim's "these Nyman bozos", which did not refer to you, I'm sure. He and I were kicked off Nyman's site for essentially taking the same position he is here in the face of people who, more vociferously than you, insisted that because it wasn't a "game swing" it could only teach bad mechanics.

I'll take a shot at answering your last question to Jim: "IOW, if you put a kid next to the fence - 6-10" further back than Jim is - could the kid still use a very poor swing to get the bat by the fence w/o hitting it? If so, did the drill help the kid?" Sure, the kid could tuck his hands in and drive them straight to the pitcher without turning at all, then pulling them left and letting the bat limp through ths strike zone.

Guess what? Drill over for that kid!

Here's what I've learned from really good hitting coaches, and I include Jim/JBooth in that category. Rather than parroting drills and cues picked up from a hitting video or book to every kid, they assess his swings and deficiencies and try out drills that may work. They watch how the kid reacts and what it does to his swing. If it works, they'll stay with it for awhile. If not, they'll adjust it or drop it, or give the kids different cues.

Let me get on a small soapbox here. My point is not directed at you, MSandman. You're a bright and open-minded guy. But here goes:

The biggest obstacle to improving your coaching techniques by learning from others online is to try to naysay an idea, drill or technique out of a desire to prove another "wrong" and yourself "right", particularly if you insist that it won't work for all kids with like problems. Examine the idea, see if it might work for some kids in some circumstances, even if only for a short period in their development. Try it out on a few kids and sell it with genuine enthusiasm; they may take to it better or worse than you expected. Watch the kid to see at what point it does not help, or introduces some new problem. Try to use different cues -- if the kid's into ballet, use a ballet cue if you know an appropriate term, or a skateboarding term, or whatever cue leads to a muscle memory that will get the kid to using the right group of muscles in the right way. And, if the drill or cue has a potential ultimate downside, drop it when the initial problem being addressed is sufficiently "cured".

Obviously, practice time is limited so you'll have to perform triage and decide which of the potential drills are worth trying. But why not keep it in your bag of tricks. And, of course, if the "drill" requires Erik's $180 Instructo 500 swing trainer, well you can just forget about it for that reason.
                        sigpicIt's not whether you fall -- everyone does -- but how you come out of the fall that counts.

Comment

• MSandman
                          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Ursa Major
                          Sandman, you have to understand the historical genesis of Jim's "these Nyman bozos", which did not refer to you, I'm sure.
                          Sure sounded like he was referring to me and assumed I was a Nymanite. Heck, I do glean some useful info from him, but I'm NOT a SetPro customer, and I really can't STAND the guy's attitude.

He and I were kicked off Nyman's site for essentially taking the same position he is here in the face of people who, more vociferously than you, insisted that because it wasn't a "game swing" it could only teach bad mechanics.
                          Well, at least I'm not saying it has to be a game swing. I do find drills useful, just not this one... my opinion (which WAS, BTW, the topic of this thread! )

I'll take a shot at answering your last question to Jim: "IOW, if you put a kid next to the fence - 6-10" further back than Jim is - could the kid still use a very poor swing to get the bat by the fence w/o hitting it? If so, did the drill help the kid?" Sure, the kid could tuck his hands in and drive them straight to the pitcher without turning at all, then pulling them left and letting the bat limp through ths strike zone.
                          I believe there's another way, which I see in Jim's swing, and having done it several times today in front of my slider here in my family room: you can disconnect the arms from the torso and turn the arms/shoulders faster/more than the torso. IOW, excessively pull the the lead arm out of the way early and then just keep turning the torso. IMO, the only pitch this is good practice for is one that is extremely inside (off the plate).

I'm not trying to convince those of you who like this drill that it's not for you; simply that it's not for ME. I've also clearly articulated why I do not care for it. Let's not burn any bridges on this, as I'm sure in the future there will be plenty that we will agree on.

Here's what I've learned from really good hitting coaches, and I include Jim/JBooth in that category. Rather than parroting drills and cues picked up from a hitting video or book to every kid, they assess his swings and deficiencies and try out drills that may work. They watch how the kid reacts and what it does to his swing. If it works, they'll stay with it for awhile. If not, they'll adjust it or drop it, or give the kids different cues.
                          And what makes you think I don't do the same when I'm coaching live w/ hitters? But we're out HERE discussing coaching and hitting. And I'm sure you know that most of what we're saying has been said a million times before us (maybe not on the 'net, but in person). So, whether I say "connection" or someone else says "knob to the pitcher" or "inside the ball" or whatever else, we're really ALL "parroting", aren't we?

The biggest obstacle to improving your coaching techniques by learning from others online is to try to naysay an idea, drill or technique out of a desire to prove another "wrong" and yourself "right", particularly if you insist that it won't work for all kids with like problems.
                          But wasn't that the whole point of this thread? Didn't someone ask "What do you think of this drill?"??? So, because I happen to fall on the minority side of this drill, I'M the bad guy and the only one trying to "be right"? C'mon.

Obviously, practice time is limited so you'll have to perform triage and decide which of the potential drills are worth trying. But why not keep it in your bag of tricks. And, of course, if the "drill" requires Erik's $180 Instructo 500 swing trainer, well you can just forget about it for that reason.
                          Yes, I feel the deja vu too.

Comment

• Ursa Major
                            • Apr 2005

Sure sounded like he was referring to me and assumed I was a Nymanite. Heck, I do glean some useful info from him, but I'm NOT a SetPro customer, and I really can't STAND the guy's attitude.
                            No, you're not a Nymanite. We can smell 'em, even if the herd is dwindling. And if Jim wanted to dis you, he would've come right out and done so.
                            I believe there's another way, which I see in Jim's swing, and having done it several times today in front of my slider here in my family room: you can disconnect the arms from the torso and turn the arms/shoulders faster/more than the torso. IOW, excessively pull the the lead arm out of the way early and then just keep turning the torso. IMO, the only pitch this is good practice for is one that is extremely inside (off the plate).
                            You wanna debate how many ways one can make a lousy swing?? I certainly wasn't saying my idea was the only one. And you did the fence drill inside in front of your slider? With what kind of bat? If you fribbitz up your swing, well... you need a couch to sleep on somewhere when the spouse finds the damage?
                            And what makes you think I don't do the same when I'm coaching live w/ hitters? But we're out HERE discussing coaching and hitting. And I'm sure you know that most of what we're saying has been said a million times before us (maybe not on the 'net, but in person). So, whether I say "connection" or someone else says "knob to the pitcher" or "inside the ball" or whatever else, we're really ALL "parroting", aren't we?
                            I expressly excluded you from my accusation. I have every reason to believe you're one of those who assesses each kid on his own terms and adjusts your coaching accordingly. I was just worried that the thread was drifting toward people trying to "win" the argument. Or that people were worrying about whether an attempt to probe their opinion was a personal attack (or was making someone the bad guy). My point was simply to say that rather than trying to pigeonhole something as "good drill" or "bad drill" (say those four words together five times quickly), we all learn better if we see if there's some circumstance in which it might have a benefit. Drills, unlike Erik's Instructo, are free, right? (Except for the time you waste learning them...) I agree that the drill has minimal utility, as I've said. Who knows, maybe you can win a bar bet with it, betting someone a beer that you can stand next to a wall with a rolled up magazine and blast a shot glass on a wall sconce across the room without touching the wall!
                            Didn't someone ask "What do you think of this drill?"??? So, because I happen to fall on the minority side of this drill, I'M the bad guy and the only one trying to "be right"? C'mon.
                            I'm only trying to be "right" when I learn from everyone else, find the whole grail of hitting and shout, "Eureka!" I don't have to be in the same spot in which I started to do so. I used to be a bigger believer in the fence drill and the Nymanites' analysis largely turned me against it.

All anyone asks is that people who come in here and keep an open mind. If I think that the fence drill would be a good ten minute drill on the second or third day of spring practice to remind kids to keep their hands back, I'm open to you saying, "No, even then kids will develop a bad disconnect of their hands that outweighs the benefits," or, "Here's a better drill or device to impress upon them to keep their hands back and it doesn't encourage 'cheating'." I then may realize it's a dumb drill all the way around.
                            That would be cool and really would make you the good guy!
                            sigpicIt's not whether you fall -- everyone does -- but how you come out of the fall that counts.

Comment

• hiddengem
                              ~I Walk The Line~
                              • Nov 2004

I DO get it HG, but that doesn't mean I have to agree w/ it.

Dead horse.

If you don't agree with this drill to try and teach your kids how to keep their hands inside the ball correctly and turn their hips and torso before the bat head, WHAT drill would you suggest to teach a kid to properly do that?

Comment

• jsiggy
                                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by jbooth
                                I'm 6 feet tall and I can stand with my toes 20 inches from the fence, take a normal swing and not hit the fence.
                                Originally posted by jbooth
                                It's a DRILL!!! Drills are designed to give the athlete a "feeling" of what needs to be done.

The f--ing drill doesn't have to be a picture perfect swing. The DRILL...
                                The problem is the above two quotes don't add up: "take a normal swing" and "it's just a f--ing drill".

What these Nyman Bozos can't understand is that the DRILL is teaching you to not disconnect EARLY and/or AWAY from the body.
                                Actually I think the "Nyman Bozos", as you guys continually classify them, are pretty bright and understood that quite clearly. The problems that they listed quite clearly and that I have with this drill are:
                                • encouraging rather severe disconnection from middle-to-end of the swing. They preferred teaching rotating the box as a unit through the entire swing rather than connected early and then disconnecting at the end as most do with this drill (including your swing)
                                • improper goal (miss the fence rather than stay connected) which is huge for kids. You miss the fence largely by keeping the hands in tight. Keeping the hands in tight can be accomplished by maintaining a proper box... it can also be accomplished in other less efficient manners.

The drill teaches staying in with the hands, and rotating the bat with the shoulders.
                                And is effective for the early part of the swing. If you have a kid that is casting, it could help as it can give them a feel for staying connected early on. But again, past the point of the max bat lag position, it encourages disconnection of the hands and/or front shoulder - at least in those I've used it with.
                                Last edited by jsiggy; 01-26-2006, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X