8 12.31%
  • Other(please explain)

5 7.69%
  • 1959 jerseys

9 13.85%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Sox Uniform?

Quote Originally Posted by chips View Post
    Does that ever get mistaken for a Boston jersey?
    Oh for a sunny afternoon at Sicks...

Since red's my favorite color (no lie!) I would go with the homes and roads of '71-'75. When Veeck bought the team again, he introduced well...you know. My heart sank...

I also love the classic 1959 look...

To Be Determined

The best White Sox uniform has yet to be worn. You can disqualify anything made of flannel. A fabric not suited for athletics. Even a guy with a decent build was swimming in excess fabric. Plus, it was just too hot. Stop romanticizing flannel uniforms. Enough. Like I've said before, button-down shirts have no business worn by an active participant in a sporting competition. No other sport has their participants wear button-down shirts for a reason. They're not athletic wear. Baseball should be played by players wearing v-neck pullovers. It was done in the past and should be done again. Leather belts also have no business on the field of play. Unless players are going to wearing chinos or jeans, leave them off the field. Wear the elastic waistband pants. They work in basketball shorts, they have and will work again for baseball pants. For the best White Sox jersey, I would combine the look of the '89 White Sox jersey with the early 80s Angels jersey. Blue and red are a great combo. I discount the current look because of the button-down jersey and the belted pants and also if it looks the same in B&W as it does in color, how good can it be? Combine these two...
    Attached Images Attached Images

nellie fox 1959 uniform.jpg

The 1959 uniform tied in with the current one would be good.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Bill Melton 1972 road uni.jpg

This one is better than the late 80's uniform. 1972 road Bill Melton jersey
    Last edited by chicagowhitesox1173; 01-07-2013 at 12:06 AM.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

carlton fisk retro uni.jpg

i've always thought these were pretty cool. Minus the shorts. If they tweaked these uniforms they would have been appreciated more I think.

1981 Jersey
    Last edited by chicagowhitesox1173; 01-07-2013 at 12:07 AM.

nellie fox 1960 road uni.jpg

These ones look pretty good too. 1960 road jersey.
    Last edited by chicagowhitesox1173; 01-07-2013 at 12:07 AM.

Enough with button-down jerseys. They're not athletic wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Dreamer View Post
    I played baseball in those pull over uniforms and they were the most uncomfortable uniforms you could play in. You can't compare football, basketball and hockey uniforms to baseball. If those sports used buttons then they would be insane. Fortunantly baseball can get away with using button uniforms and I would have to think if you asked most ball players what they prefer they would over whelmingly say buttoned jerseys.

The 1980's were probably the worst era in the history of baseball for uniforms. I don't think theres any question it was the worst era of uniforms.

I disagree. Athletes don't wear buttons. The White Sox may have looked bad in the '80s but not every team did. Tradition is holding baseball back. No question about. The last button-free MLB jersey was worn in 1992. The demographics have changed dramatically, perhaps not by coincidence.

I disagree. Athletes don't wear buttons. The White Sox may have looked bad in the '80s but not every team did. Tradition is holding baseball back. No question about. The last button-free MLB jersey was worn in 1992. The demographics have changed dramatically, perhaps not by coincidence.
    I think the last one was the 1993 Reds.

It was the 1992 Reds. Sweet Lou's last year managing Cincy. When Perez took over they switched to button-downs. If pullovers and elastic waistbands with stripes can work for these guys, they can and will work for baseball.
    Last edited by Phantom Dreamer; 01-07-2013 at 04:08 AM.

I love the 1983 style jerseys. Perhaps it's because that was when I went to my first ever baseball game. But I just love that style.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

DTR + 4.10's + Eaton swap = Wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom

I have had the pleasure of watching games at: Comiskey Park, Comiskey Park II, Wrigley Field, Jacobs Field, Municipal Stadium, Three Rivers Stadium, Miller Park, Yankee Stadium (The one and only), and Fenway Park.

Worst, 1983. Best, 1959-mid to late 60's. 1981 Black/White Jerseys Great.

Quote Originally Posted by Melottfan View Post
    Worst, 1983. Best, 1959-mid to late 60's. 1981 Black/White Jerseys Great.
    Yeah I liked those 81 uniforms too. I wish they would bring those back on Sunday home games. I doubt it will ever happen since Reinsdorff hated those uniforms.

After a long stretch of some of the worst unis in history, the Sox knocked it out of the park with their 1991 - on look. One of the best in baseball by far.
    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Anything where they wear white socks would be good.

You look at basketball, and the pros are all playing inside. Football is generally played in cold weather.
    Baseball, you can be playing at 105 degrees or 20 degrees (I've played in New England in the spring and fall, don't try to argue the latter temp with me). You could be a C really busting your butt out there or a DH mostly chilling out. You need to have a jersey that lets you adjust to the conditions you're playing in...as in buttons that allow you to loosen up to let some heat and sweat out or batten down if you're chilly (probably over a pullover sweater or long sleeved base layer if it's cold enough, I'll admit). Pullovers with some buttons might POSSIBLY work, just plain pullovers are a big mistake.
    "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

^^^^^
    You're not going to convince me that v-neck pullover jerseys and sansabelt baseball pants aren't the 'Ultimate Baseball Look', so don't even try.
    Last edited by Phantom Dreamer; 02-06-2013 at 04:01 PM.

The best White Sox uniform would have to include the combination of v-neck pullover jerseys and sansabelt baseball pants. The color scheme would be navy and red and the Sox would have to bring back one of the best logos in baseball history.

According to this, in 1972, the White Sox were the first MLB team to wear bp jerseys, v-neck pullover jerseys at that!

197275firstteamtohaveba.jpg

Dick Allen red early 70's are nice. Today's unis are too bland. Sox need more color in their team. The grey and black is just too dull. Trying to hard to resemble Yankees.

White Sox announce that their '83 throwbacks are now part of their permanent uniform rotation.
    http://news.sportslogos.net/2014/02/...t-alt-uniform/

They will also introduce a new cap with the popular "batter man" logo.

Apparently a lot of the Whitesox players prefer the 83 uniforms which makes me wonder if Phantom has a point about his sansabelt thread.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast