Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Outfield Arm Ever:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by leecemark
    It is primarily a subjective call and I'd rather share my own observations than repeat somebody elses.
    Oh really?

You've been ranking Pre-1900 Players, Negro Leaguers, early stars, defense of early stars, teams according to decades, and assorted things you have not personally seen, ad nauseum, and now suddenly you grow a conscience & balk at evaluating/judging/assessing things that you have not PERSONALLY SEEN?

Is this hallucination of mine a flashback from some bad hash from my 1968 wild and crazy days? Or did someone slip LSD into my ensure recently? I can't tell which anymore!!!

Colavito,Evans and a guy named Joe Levebre( pronounced Lefay) who played briefly for the Yankees and Phils I think. He had an accurate gun. Colavito I saw throw a strike from the monuments to third base in pre 75 Yankee, it has never left the front of my baseball memories

rmb: August 15, 1951 (Mays was a ROOKIE)...

i am trying to remember when it was that mays threw someone out at first (yes, from center).
    "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Quote Originally Posted by west coast orange and black

i am trying to remember when it was that mays threw someone out at first (yes, from center).
    I only have some dates he scored from 1st on a single, if you ever get that date please let me know. Gene Woodling supposedly threw out two, FROM LEFT, in the SAME INNING (they may have overrun first)
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Ichiro threw out a guy at first base on a No-hop line drive in Safeco Field in I believe 2001. And it wasn't really that close...

Ball hits bat...half a second later, ball is sailing into right...another second later ball is in Ichiro's glove off one hop...about a second later, runner is out by two steps at first...LOL
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 01-31-2006 at 02:00 PM.

--Bill, many aspect of baseball can be judged by the numbers. Who has the best throwing arm is not one of those things. If someone has a reputation for a great arm then I include that in their defensive ranking. I can't see any logical way to put old time arms in any kind of order though. Therefore, my participation in this thread will be limited to players I've seen and can contribute to the discussion on.

Blog Entries

That would speak more about the baserunner than the throw. Perhaps it was one of Cecil Fielders relatives, and he tripped three times lumbering down the line.
    "You guys are my family. I am very grateful I have been led to this beautiful place and all the warm members who have been so kind to me. I feel I have made a lot of friends, and learned tons about baseball. To me, Fever is too good to be true, and don't know how I'd fill the vacuum if it ever went away. Thanks to so many for a reason to be happy every day. Just can't repay you guys." - Bill Burgess

Blog Entries
    Best OF Arm? I'll put in a vote for Reggie Smith. He could peg home plate from the warning track at Fenway. Impressive.

shlevine42 Guest
    Frank Robinson once threw out Koufax at first after Sandy grounded a "single" to right, and was probably frozen in shock at having got the ball out of the infield!

Or more likely, at having got the bat on the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by shlevine42
    Frank Robinson once threw out Koufax at first after Sandy grounded a "single" to right, and was probably frozen in shock at having got the ball out of the infield!

Or more likely, at having got the bat on the ball.
    I don't have the date on the Ichiro assist, but I do have 8/15/1961 for the Robinson/Koufax
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Sultan_1895-1948
    That would speak more about the baserunner than the throw. Perhaps it was one of Cecil Fielders relatives, and he tripped three times lumbering down the line.
    It was the, uh, best defensive third baseman ever

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthMayBond
    It was the, uh, best defensive third baseman ever
    Oh I thought Jimmy Collins retired long before Mays played
    "You guys are my family. I am very grateful I have been led to this beautiful place and all the warm members who have been so kind to me. I feel I have made a lot of friends, and learned tons about baseball. To me, Fever is too good to be true, and don't know how I'd fill the vacuum if it ever went away. Thanks to so many for a reason to be happy every day. Just can't repay you guys." - Bill Burgess

Quote Originally Posted by Sultan_1895-1948
    Oh I thought Jimmy Collins retired long before Mays played
    Tell it to Brooklyn Dodgers fans

14. Im young so the best arm Ive seen is Vladimir Guerrero.

good call on reggie smith, madhatter.
    "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

"That would speak more about the baserunner than the throw. Perhaps it was one of Cecil Fielders relatives, and he tripped three times lumbering down the line. Besides, everything that WCOAB is not from reality, and everything related to orange and black must be downplayed."

sultan: that would speak more about the baserunner than the throw.

maybe yer right. maybe it's kinda like how when bonds got thrown out at first from medium deep right field by the shortstop to the covering pitcher.

that, too, was all about the runner.
    it had absolutely nothing to do with the defensive shift, the bulleted ball, the rover-shortstop coming up with a happy birthday scoop, the stretching pitcher, and bonds getting nipped by an eyelash.

that's cool, DoWnWiThTheSiCkNeSs. at least you recognize greatness when you see it.
    more will come to you, don't worry.

that's cool, DoWnWiThTheSiCkNeSs. .
    Tony:
    NOW, after how many years, and you finally learn where the shift and/or caps lock key is!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by william_burgess@usa.net
    Throwing Contests:

At a long-distance baseball throwing contest in Oct.,1872, John Hatfield of Mutual club, won the contest with a heave of 133 yrds, 1 foot, 7.7 inches. He was followed by Andy Leonard of Boston club (119 yds. 1 ft. 10 inches), George Wright of Boston club (117 yrds. 1 ft. 1 inch), Bill Boyd of Mutual club(115 yrds. 1 ft. 7 inches), Wes Fisler of Athletics club(112 yrds. 6 inches),
    Adrian C. Anson of Athletics club(110 yds. 6 inches)

Ned Crane threw a baseball 117 yards(351 feet) in a contest at Worcester, MA in 1879.

At Cincinnati baseball grounds on Sunday, Oct. 9,1910, Sheldon Lajeune of the Evansville baseball Club, threw a baseball 426 feet, 9.5 inches (142 yds.). He had preceded this throw with heaves of 385' 3", 383' 4", both throws against the wind. He then asked if he could throw in the opposite direction. This was granted and he threw 401' 4.5", he then warmed his arm up and then uncorked a mighty heave of 426' 9.5". Previously he had thrown 399' 10.75" on September 11, 1908 at the Cincinnati grounds.

Joe Jackson threw a baseball 132 yards (396'9") on September 27, 1917, at Fenway Park, Boston, Mass., in a contest, defeating Ty Cobb, Tris Speaker and Babe Ruth. It was at a benefit game for Tim Murnane's widow. Duffy Lewis of the Red Sox and Clarence (Tillie) Walker of the Phil. Athletics tied for second with tosses of 384'6".

Obviously it is LaJeune who DID have a cup of coffee in the majors

Thing with LaJeune, his style of baseball, he was a cross between Gus Williams (who set the strikeout record around 1917 for the Browns....and Gavvy Cravath)

Larry LeJeune played in 1911 for Brooklyn and 1915 for the Pirates

In 18 games for the Pirates, he had 43 PO in CF and 4 Assists/1 Double Play

Blog Entries
    "That would speak more about the baserunner than the throw. Perhaps it was one of Cecil Fielders relatives, and he tripped three times lumbering down the line. Besides, everything that WCOAB is not from reality, and everything related to orange and black must be downplayed."
    Those words you just shoved in my mouth don't taste very good. Hopefully you don't feel that way, I would have said the same regardless of who posted it WC. For those situations three variables have to come together, which is why it's so rare. 1) A laser beam for a base hit right at the fielder 2) A loafing, slacking, tripping, or just molasses slow baserunner 3) The fielder recognizes this and actually makes the throw without taking anything for granted. Thats all I was sayin'. We friends again?

Quote Originally Posted by william_burgess@usa.net
    Rather strange. Only I, Randy and ElHalo have even mentioned Bob Meusel, reputed to have the most powerful arm ever unleashed in the gardens. Oh well.

Bill Burgess
    You can add me to the list. Everyone from that period raved about Meusel's arm. I suspect he was about as good as Rico Carty was bad.

Quote Originally Posted by SABR Steve
    You can add me to the list. Everyone from that period raved about Meusel's arm. I suspect he was about as good as Rico Carty was bad.
    Perhaps I'm with you also.

Is it an apocryphal account that both Ruth and Combs would "relay" (or toss) the ball to Meusel on very deep plays so Bob could gun it to the infield ? I'm pretty sure I read it in one of the Ruth bios.

If so, that really puts a moratorium on the whole "Ruth had one of the best arms ever" idea that's been floating around here, now doesn't it?

Can anyone verify or veto this?

Quote Originally Posted by csh19792001
    Tony:
    NOW, after how many years, and you finally learn where the shift and/or caps lock key is!!!!
    GOOD one

Blog Entries
    Gerald Young.

Who is Gerald Young you might be saying?

Well Gerald Young was a switch hitting Honduran who played Centerfield for the Astros in the late eighties. Couldn't hit a lick but he could play centerfield and gun down runners. He could be at the wall and he would still gun down runners. Unfortunately he couldn't hit so his days were numbered.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast