Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Outfield Arm Ever:

Blog Entries
    I'm somewhat surprised nobody has mentioned Paul O'neill. He had one of the strongest arms I've seen in recent years.
    My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
    2. Barry Bonds
    3. Ty Cobb
    4. Ted Williams
    5. Willie Mays
    6. Alex Rodriguez
    7. Hank Aaron
    8. Honus Wagner
    9. Lou Gehrig
    10. Mickey Mantle

Quote Originally Posted by Sultan_1895-1948
    "Some twenty years ago, I stopped talking about the Babe for the simple reason that I realized that those who had never seen him didn't believe me."
    -- Tommy Holmes, sportswriter
    LOVE that quote, Sult.

The stuff legends and dreams are made of.

Blog Entries
    I have a question. What is the record for the longest throw of a baseball?

Quote Originally Posted by csh19792001
    396 can't be close to the world record, Bill. Does anyone have a Guiness Book of World Records handy?

I'm sure it's in there.
    Didn't Dibble turn and fire a ball into the centerfield stands in Cincinnati one time? That was probably 410 at least.
    "By common consent, Ruth was the hardest hitter of history; a fine fielder, if not a finished one; an inspired base runner, seeming to do the right thing without thinking. He had the most perfect co-ordination of any human animal I ever knew." - Hugh Fullerton, 1936 (Chicago sports writer, 1893-1930's)

ROY / ERA+ Title / Cy Young / WS MVP / HR Title / Gold Glove / Comeback POY / BA Title / MVP / All Star / HOF

Quote Originally Posted by Sultan_1895-1948
    Didn't Dibble turn and fire a ball into the centerfield stands in Cincinnati one time? That was probably 410 at least.
    Wouldn't surprise me at all. He was also clocked throwing over 100 on the radar, which scant few have done.

I have many, many anecdotal accounts in the collection on my bookshelf, but most of the throws took place in games and hence rarely measured exactly and scientifically verified for the record books.

Are those heaves on a fly or with the roll?

I remember that Jim Spencer tried to chuck one from home plate into the center field stands at Old Comiskey. That's when it was 440 to centerfield. He didn't succeed.
    "Batting slumps? I never had one. When a guy hits .358, he doesn't have slumps."

Rogers Hornsby, 1961

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Honus Wagner Rules
    I have a question. What is the record for the longest throw of a baseball?
    http://baseball-fever.com/showpost.p...1&postcount=18

In no particular order:

Willie Mays
    Bo Jackson (people tend to forget how good his arm was)
    Roberto Clemente
    Vladimir Guerrero

Quote Originally Posted by RuthMayBond
    Apparently you haven't heard of Mays' feat on August 15, 1951 (Mays was a ROOKIE). Furillo hits a 330 foot drive that Mays has to run down going away from his throwing motion. The runner tags from third and is thrown out at home. Someone said Even if I saw it again, I wouldn't believe it
    Never heard about that one but I have no doubt about it. Willie had a great arm. Those on this thread who say he is rated too high are 'cuaght off base'.

Yankees Fan Since 1957

Quote Originally Posted by yanks0714
    Never heard about that one but I have no doubt about it. Willie had a great arm. Those on this thread who say he is rated too high are 'caught off base'.
    That comment was made when William put Mays at #4. That IS a bit too high. Top 10 is reasonable. (slid in under tag )
    "By common consent, Ruth was the hardest hitter of history; a fine fielder, if not a finished one; an inspired base runner, seeming to do the right thing without thinking. He had the most perfect co-ordination of any human animal I ever knew." - Hugh Fullerton, 1936 (Chicago sports writer, 1893-1930's)

ROY / ERA+ Title / Cy Young / WS MVP / HR Title / Gold Glove / Comeback POY / BA Title / MVP / All Star / HOF

A great throw is one of my favorite things in baseball. Nothin' like being at the ballyard when someone uncorks a laser beam and you hear the crowd "OOOOHHHH'.

In no particular order...

Ellis Valentine
    Bo Jackson
    Dave Parker
    Jesse Barfield
    Ichiro
    Roberto Clemente
    Vlad Guerrero
    Dwight Evans

My faves were Bo and Parker. Before the drugs got him Parker had the scariest arm I've ever seen. Bo seemingly would throw people out from the warning track.

KH14
    “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Blog Entries
    Rather strange. Only I, Randy and ElHalo have even mentioned Bob Meusel, reputed to have the most powerful arm ever unleashed in the gardens. Oh well.

Bill Burgess

--Muesel did have a reputation for having a great arm. Maybe it was the best ever. Who knows?
    --I think most of us are discussing guys we've actually seen because the differences between the all time great arms is going to be very small and difficult (impossible?) to measure across time. It is primarily a subjective call and I'd rather share my own observations than repeat somebody elses.

Quote Originally Posted by william_burgess@usa.net
    Rather strange. Only I, Randy and ElHalo have even mentioned Bob Meusel, reputed to have the most powerful arm ever unleashed in the gardens. Oh well.

Bill Burgess
    He cetainly did Bill. He was a rather bland fellow though, sorta just strolled merrily through his career, never making headlines. He raised hell with Babe, but Babe got all the attention whether good or bad. How many Meusel biographies are out there? Great anectdotes not involving Ruth? No distinct personality flaws, and no early illness death; sorta makes for a boring ballplayer to talk about. He had a cannon for sure though; it overshadowed his hitting ability, which says something.

BOB MEUSEL

'In 1918, his first year as an outfielder, Babe Ruth lost a fly ball in the sun. He vowed then and there never to play the sun field again. Thus, although Bob Meusel was the Yankees' left fielder at Yankee Stadium, on the road he usually traded places with right fielder Ruth in order to keep the most valuable eyes in baseball out of the sun. This meant, of course, that Meusel always played the sun field. We can see the effects of his self-sacrifice in Conlon's close-up. Meusel, who batted fifth behind Ruth and Gehrig in Murderers' Row, had the greatest arm in baseball: "He could hit a dime at 100 yards and flatten it against a wall," said teammate Joe Dugan.'

Bill, I just can't rank something like the best arm unless I saw them play. Meusel, Shoeless Joe, and Spoke probably all could really throw, but that's pretty hard to quantify from a book or a clipping.

But I saw Parker make throws from near the foul pole at Three Rivers that made my jaw drop. That I can rate.

KH14
    “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14
    Bill, I just can't rank something like the best arm unless I saw them play.
    Well ah shucks, good golly gee. I think you're all a bunch of sissies. Not ranking things you've never seen? It fun to judge stuff we shouldn't. The more perverse, the happier I am. C'mon brothers! Grow a backbone, why don'cha! Evaluate arms you've never seen! The world will be a better place for it.

Bill Burgess

Nobody has said Larry Walker yet?

Here's a pretty interesting article about "most feared cannon" in today's game.

http://www.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/ne...ield&fext=.jsp

Quote Originally Posted by leecemark
    the differences between the all time great arms is going to be very small and difficult (impossible?) to measure across time. It is primarily a subjective call .
    I think, rather I know that says it all. No way to ever come to any conclusion. Sort of like the debate "who hit the longest home run." Lots of entries, lots of opinions with he same result, we can never know. Also just as in best throwers there is probably not much difference between who hit the longest and who was second or third.

Just a thought, not trying to put a damper on a great subject. Enjoying all the stories and opinions posted on this subject. Nothing like seeing an outfielder uncork a great long throw to nail a runner, especially when your at the park to witness it.

Quote Originally Posted by william_burgess@usa.net
    Well ah shucks, good golly gee. I think you're all a bunch of sissies. Not ranking things you've never seen? It fun to judge stuff we shouldn't. The more perverse, the happier I am. C'mon brothers! Grow a backbone, why don'cha! Evaluate arms you've never seen! The world will be a better place for it.

Bill Burgess
    Wow, now Bill doesn't even need eyewitnesses
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

I"m just providing this list if anyone's interested. I realize leading your league in assists is not always the best measure of arm strength, although the excuse about people not running on Clemente proves to be wrong. These are all the OF who I've been able to find who have led their league in assists at their position at least four times.

CF
    DUnser, Lofton , Edmonds 4
    Puckett 5
    Kotsay 6

LF
    Barry Bonds 6
    BHigginson 7
    Yaz 9

RF
    OShaffer, Callison, GlWilson 4
    Clemente 5
    Barfield 7

This list is by no means represented as comprehensive and any additions are welcome
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast