Luís Miguel Rodríguez (HOL),
    Ubisney Bermúdez (LTU),
    Alberto Soto (GRA),
    Israel Soto (IJU),
    Maikel Folch (CAV),
    Vladimir Baños (PRI),
    Yosvany Pérez (CFG).

Managers: Benito Camacho or Higinio Vélez
    Coaches: Javier Méndez, Juan Castro, Alexander Ramos, Rey Vicente Anglada and Víctor Mesa.

The Cuban National Series will stop on February 12th until March 24th.

Cuban Baseball officials are trying to schedule exhibition games with other teams but Puerto Rico already declined to go to Cuba.
    Last edited by Cubano100%; 01-30-2006 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Add info

How about LHP Maicel Diaz and RHP Frank Motieth from the Industriales Lions?

Diaz is 5 and 0 with 2.64 ERA. Hitters only have a 217 batting average of him.

Montieth is 4 and 0 with 2.91 ERA. Hitters have a 254 batting average of him.

Why are not they on the roster??????????????

... but Ubisney Bermudez (ERA in high 4.00s) and some others are on the roster.

Some very weird choices.

I have to admit that I was totally psyched when I found out that Cuba was allowed to play in the WBC. I felt that the original decision to ban them from the tournament was absolutely ridiculous.

Hi Cubano,

How did you find out about this roster? The WBC site doesnot mention this (surprisingly enough!)....

Thanks for posting this...

kind regards, Dutch girl

It's all over the Cuban media. Go to Google and search news for the following keywords:

Cuba baseball wbc

You should get at least 10 links.

Smile

Hi guys and gals.

I came from Cuba 2 years ago, so my English isn't perfect but I will try my best. I'm 20 years old and I love Baseball. My favorite team is the Cleveland Indians.

I wonder why Vera and Merino didn't make the team. When I left Cuba, Vera was one of the best pitchers and Merino made the All-Star team this season.

Greetings.

MLB: Too soon to confirm Cuba roster

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/a...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Vera Status

Quote Originally Posted by Kiefer
    Hi guys and gals.

I came from Cuba 2 years ago, so my English isn't perfect but I will try my best. I'm 20 years old and I love Baseball. My favorite team is the Cleveland Indians.

I wonder why Vera and Merino didn't make the team. When I left Cuba, Vera was one of the best pitchers and Merino made the All-Star team this season.

Greetings.
    Hello Everyone:

I hear Vera is injured right now and that is why he is not on the Cuban National Team roster.

Cuban 60 Men Roster Selection

Quote Originally Posted by Cubano100%
    How about LHP Maicel Diaz and RHP Frank Motieth from the Industriales Lions?

Diaz is 5 and 0 with 2.64 ERA. Hitters only have a 217 batting average of him.

Montieth is 4 and 0 with 2.91 ERA. Hitters have a 254 batting average of him.

Why are not they on the roster??????????????
    I think the Cuban Baseball authorities are not willing to include any players that are not seen with "good eyes" per the government. If they have the slightes doubth these players will defect then none of them will be included on the team roster; even though they may be the best players to represent the country.

It is sad already that Cuban born players are not allowed to compete for they country, just because they escape to freedom does not mean they are less Cuban than the Cuban players that haven't been able to escape yet from the communist regime.

Quote Originally Posted by cuban_aficionado
    I think the Cuban Baseball authorities are not willing to include any players that are not seen with "good eyes" per the government. If they have the slightes doubth these players will defect then none of them will be included on the team roster; even though they may be the best players to represent the country.

It is sad already that Cuban born players are not allowed to compete for they country, just because they escape to freedom does not mean they are less Cuban than the Cuban players that haven't been able to escape yet from the communist regime.
    Yeah, I agree with you.

Down with Fidel!

Hi, Cubano100%.

I am very interested in Amateur baseball international competition history..
    I succeed in reconstructuring full charts of cuba vs s.korea. cuba vs taiwan.
    and almost all of Cuba vs Japan..(1972-2005)
    But I CANNOT DO THAT OF CUBA VS USA..(1951-2005)

IF YOU HAVE ANY INFORMATION ABOUT IT. please post it...
    I really eager to know.

www.baseball.ch is really a treasure box. but, it has just ranking informantion
    of IBAF INTERNATIONAL CUP, IBAF AAA CHAMPIONSHIP.. That's disappointing!

What is next for Cuba? The Caribbean Series

According to the following article by Enrique Rojas of ESPNdeportes.com, Cuba would like to return to the Caribbean Baseball Series:

WBC is first step for Cuba By Enrique Rojas
    ESPNdeportes.com

MARACAY, Venezuela -- Cuba's participation in the World Baseball Classic in March could open the door for the island to future Caribbean Series.

The commissioner of Caribbean baseball, Juan Francisco Puello Herrera of the Dominican Republic, told ESPNdeportes.com that Cuban authorities have shown interest in returning to the "Latin American World Series," and that a request to come back would be taken seriously.

"Now that Cuba has decided to play in an event where professionals are involved [the WBC], we see the possibility of their returning to the Caribbean Series," said Puello Herrera.

In the first era of Caribbean Series play (1949-1960), Cuba won seven of the 12 round-robin tournaments. Venezuela, Panama and Puerto Rico were the other participants.

But with the regime of Cuban leader Fidel Castro, who outlawed professional sports in the country, Cuba withdrew from the event and the tournament was not played for nine years.

The Caribbean Confederation was able to put the Caribbean Series back together in 1970, with a new lineup of the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico and Venezuela. Then, in 1971 Mexico was added to round out the four-team competition.

Puello Herrera said that if Cuba shows interest in playing in the Caribbean Series, the Confederation might have to include still another team, in order to maintain an even number of participants.

"We'd have to add one more besides Cuba. We'd either have to admit another country, or let the runner-up in the host country's local league play."

But it's not that simple. "The inclusion of Cuba in the Caribbean Series would also depend on the Treasury Department of the United States, since Puerto Rico is a member of the Caribbean Confederation and hosts the tournament every four years [in U.S. territory]," said Puello Herrera.

Cuba had to get the OK from the Treasury Department to play in the World Classic, which will take place March 3-20 in the United States, Japan and Puerto Rico. More than 200 major leaguers are expected to participate among the 16 national teams.

In the first round, Cuba will play in Puerto Rico as part of Group C, which will include Panama, Holland and the host team.

Predictions for Final Cuba 30 Men Roster

With this posting All I am doing is trying to predict which players will make the final 30 Men Roster, I ask from others in this forum to do the same so we can compare and contrast our 30 Men Pick.

Catchers (3 Players) : Ariel Pestano (VCL), , Eriel Sánchez (SSP), and
    Roger Machado (CAV).

Infielders (8 Players):

Danny Miranda (CAV), Yulieski Gourriel (SSP), Eduardo Paret (VCL), Michel Enríquez (IJU), Yorelvis Charles (CAV), Amaury Suárez (LTU), Ariel Borrero (VCL) and Leslie Anderson (CMG)

Outfielders (6 Players):

Yoandy Garlobo (MTZ), Osmani Urrutia (LTU), Carlos Tabares (IND), Yoandry Urgelles (IND), Dayan Viciedo (VCL) and Yoennis Céspedes (GRA).

Pitchers (13 Players):

1-Pedro Luís Lazo (PRI)
    2-Luís Borroto (VCL)
    3-Norberto González (CFG)
    4-Adiel Palma (CFG)
    5-Danny Betancourt (SCU)
    6-Vicyohandry Odelín (CMG)
    7-Jonder Martínez (LHA)
    8-Maikel Folch (CAV)
    9-Vladimir Baños (PRI)
    10- Yosvany Pérez (CFG)
    11-Yadier Pedroso (LHA)
    12-Yadel Martí (IND)
    13- Dennis Suárez (IND)

What do you guys think?

With this posting All I am doing is trying to predict which players will make the final 30 Men Roster, I ask from others in this forum to do the same so we can compare and contrast our 30 Men Pick.

Catchers (3 Players) : Ariel Pestano (VCL), , Eriel Sánchez (SSP), and
    Roger Machado (CAV).

Infielders (8 Players):

Danny Miranda (CAV), Yulieski Gourriel (SSP), Eduardo Paret (VCL), Michel Enríquez (IJU), Yorelvis Charles (CAV), Amaury Suárez (LTU), Ariel Borrero (VCL) and Leslie Anderson (CMG)

Outfielders (6 Players):

Yoandy Garlobo (MTZ), Osmani Urrutia (LTU), Carlos Tabares (IND), Yoandry Urgelles (IND), Dayan Viciedo (VCL) and Yoennis Céspedes (GRA).

Pitchers (13 Players):

1-Pedro Luís Lazo (PRI)
    2-Luís Borroto (VCL)
    3-Norberto González (CFG)
    4-Adiel Palma (CFG)
    5-Danny Betancourt (SCU)
    6-Vicyohandry Odelín (CMG)
    7-Jonder Martínez (LHA)
    8-Maikel Folch (CAV)
    9-Vladimir Baños (PRI)
    10- Yosvany Pérez (CFG)
    11-Yadier Pedroso (LHA)
    12-Yadel Martí (IND)
    13- Dennis Suárez (IND)

What do you guys think?

Our pitching will determine how far we go. I think we have balance in our pitching staff. Is Folch lefty or righty?

I am not so sure about your position players. Do you think that Juan Pedroso won't make it?

Folch is a lefty.

I'd be very surprised if they allow Viciedo and Cespedes to travel since they are so young. I'd also expect more older pitchers to travel instead of younger guys like Folch and Banos.

Juan C. Pedroso or Leslie Anderson?

It can go either way with these two because even though Pedroso has more RBI, with 44 , in less AB with 155, Anderson has less strike outs 29, with 204 AB. I am aware that in 50 chances AB, Pedroso may K.O. Anderson numbers, so like I said it can go either way.

It will depend in how good they play in the prep-games.

NOMBRE EQUIPO VB C H 2B 3B HR CI BB SO AVE

PEDROSO, JOAN C LTU 155 37 53 9 1 12 44 12 32 .342

ANDERSON, LESLIE CMG 204 35 68 11 1 10 37 27 29 .333
    Last edited by cuban_aficionado; 02-03-2006 at 08:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agente Libre
    Folch is a lefty.

I'd be very surprised if they allow Viciedo and Cespedes to travel since they are so young. I'd also expect more older pitchers to travel instead of younger guys like Folch and Banos.
    I think Viciedo is too young but Cespedes may be allowed to come. He is 20 and would draw so much interest from the teams that always sign Cubans.
    He is a super prospect. He is having a dream season at 20. Man! Have you seen his current numbers?

It can go either way with these two because even though Pedroso has more RBI, with 44 , in less AB with 155, Anderson has less strike outs 29, with 204 AB. I am aware that in 50 chances AB, Pedroso may K.O. Anderson numbers, so like I said it can go either way.

It will depend in how good they play in the prep-games.

NOMBRE EQUIPO VB C H 2B 3B HR CI BB SO AVE

PEDROSO, JOAN C LTU 155 37 53 9 1 12 44 12 32 .342

ANDERSON, LESLIE CMG 204 35 68 11 1 10 37 27 29 .333

Hey, I take Anderson over Predoso. I hope the Cuban team is based on speed and players that can put the ball in play as oppose as power hitters. I also hope they take the best pitchers available despite age. I take my chances with this type of team any day. Get a left handed lead off hitter and put Paret second.
    Puerto Rico somehow arrange the schedule in their favor. Last time I checked, this is the only group that do not have 2 games in the first day. Is this done so Javier Vazquez can pitch the opening day and the final game against Cuba?

So Cuba should have some lefty hitters against PR. Maybe LHP Collazos pitches against Cuba but I will be surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubano100%
    He is having a dream season at 20. Man! Have you seen his current numbers?
    I would like to see his numbers.

Thanks in advance.

Why isn't GIORVIS DUVERGEL of the GUATANAMO Indians in the roster?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiefer
    I would like to see his numbers.

Thanks in advance.
    NOMBRE
    CB VB C H AVE 2B 3B HR TB SLU BR CR CI SH SF DB BB SO BD CPA CIPA VIEV JJ INN E TL AVE DP PB BR CR POS

CESPEDES M,, YOHENIS
    259 221 66 85 .385 18 2 15 152 .688 5 2 52 0 1 9 28 27 12 84 28 14 58 496.2 7 140 .950 1 0 0 0 CF

I found this forum(Spanish), in which the communists are saying bad things about Contreras, Livan, Baez, etc. They said these players aren't real Cubans because they left Cuba. I'm thinking about joining the forum to attack those stupid communists.

I hate communists.

Hey Cubanos (o Cubanas)...what's with the fad for Slavic-sounding first names? On the 60-man list there are two Vladimirs, a Serguei, an Alexei and a Valeri. Sure this isn't the Cuban hockey team?!

By the way, Kiefer...you're English IS perfect. Something's fishy here...

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless
    Hey Cubanos (o Cubanas)...what's with the fad for Slavic-sounding first names? On the 60-man list there are two Vladimirs, a Serguei, an Alexei and a Valeri. Sure this isn't the Cuban hockey team?!

By the way, Kiefer...you're English IS perfect. Something's fishy here...
    That's the Russian(USSR) influence that still exists in Cuba.

Thanks, but I need a bit more practice to consider myself fluent.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast