related to above post

Search for the above photo essay

in google search
    LIFE:Baseball , Lead-Hosted by Google1957Ebbets Opener&#3.jpg

Comment

• VIBaseball
      Mets/Brooklyn Dodgers fan
      • Mar 2005

I posted this story about Bill Bevens and his famous near no-hitter in the 1947 World Series in this thread because it took place at Ebbets Field.
      What I really like about it is the photo of Bevens and Joe DiMaggio -- they're in some cool Ebbets tunnel. It makes me think of Victor Hugo's descriptions of subterranean Paris.

Comment

• Paulmcall
        • Feb 2003

The Brooklyn Dodgers had plenty of their own "close but no cigar" stories too.
        I met Frenchy Bordagaray's grand daughter at a B and B in Cooperstown, N.Y.
        Casey Stengel had a famous line about why they got rid of Frenchy, "There's only room enough on this club for one clown."

Comment

• VIBaseball
          • Mar 2005

In today's Brooklyn Eagle (http://www.brooklyneagle.com/categor...=33&id=38849):

The Brooklyn Historical Society, 127 Pierrepont St., Brooklyn Heights, is showing the exhibit “Home Base: Memories of the Brooklyn Dodgers at Ebbets Field.” This exhibition focuses on the connection between Ebbets Field, the Dodgers and the Brooklyn community.

Here's a link to the BHS page about the exhibit:

The newly-formed Center for Brooklyn History is an exciting collaboration between Brooklyn Historical Society and Brooklyn Public Library, combining materials collected over the past 157 years with BPL’s Brooklyn Collection and becoming the most expansive catalogue of Brooklyn history in the world. The Center for Brooklyn History (CBH) is housed at 128 Pierrepont Street, in the magnificent landmark building designed by George B. Post that was home to Brooklyn Historical Society, and the Long Island Historical Society before it, for nearly 140 years.

I'm a little late to the party, since it's been shown since June 3, but it runs through April 24, 2011.

Comment

• VIBaseball
            • Mar 2005

Here is a picture of the model of the Buckminster Fuller dome that The Big O had in mind for downtown Brooklyn.
            Below it is a YouTube clip of the sad end of Ebbets Field. I figure it's from the Ken Burns documentary (which I haven't seen) because of talking head Billy Crystal.

Last edited by VIBaseball; 10-26-2010, 04:40 AM.

Comment

• alpineinc
              Behind the bag BSGD Mod
              • Nov 2006

New never before seen LIFE pics from the '55 Series. Great stuff!

Last edited by alpineinc; 10-27-2010, 09:52 PM.

Showcasing the finest photography to illuminate the lesser known stories from classic baseball.
              Over 2500 followers, including Howie Rose, Keith Olbermann, NYT baseball writer Tyler Kepner

https://twitter.com/behindthebag

Comment

• penncentralpete
                Abe Stark suits me fine
                • Jan 2006

All of these photos have been posted at brooklyndodgermemories.com for years!
                you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
                http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

Comment

• jayzeeg
                  JAYZEEG
                  • Oct 2007

truth is, i just turned 67 and for the most part, every time i think i have gotten over the dodgers leaving i seem to find a picture of ebbets field popping up somewhere and then i know i will never get over them. thats when i go to the website paperofrecord.com, or google paper of record, and sign in (free) and view the archives from 1886 on of the sporting news. yesterday i searched TSN for branch rickey from 1950 and relived his selling his share of the dodgers to william zeckendorf for 1 million, and then making o'malley meet his price to purchase his 25% for $1,050,000 when the entire franchise was worth a little under 2 million. rickey then wrote zeckendorf a check for 50,000. revenge must have been so sweet.

Comment

• swatman
                    • Mar 2009

Ebbets Field Seating Chart

My sweet mother found some ticket stubs while searching some dark recesses recently. Here's one from 1956 that my dad and uncle went to (without me!) and saw Sal Magli throw a no-hitter the week before the Dodgers won the pennant by one game. As good a search of this site as I could perform could not turn up a seating diagram for Ebbets field, although it did reveal the question having been asked before. So I ask again: could someone please supply me a seating chart of post-1931 EF, or at least give me an idea of where this seat was located?

1956 09 Magli No Hitter.jpeg

Thanks for your help

Comment

• VIBaseball
                      • Mar 2005

Nice blog post that I spotted on the Ballparks forum. Note plenty if photos have been added there too.

Ebbets Field , the home of the Brooklyn Dodgers designed by Clarence Randall Van Buskirk c. 1912 at 55 Sullivan Place in Brooklyn , New Yo...

Comment

• LESLEGR
                        • Dec 2010

Seating Chart

Last year I posted the seating chart on Brooklyndodgermemories.com. If you're still interested, check it out.

Comment

• VIBaseball
                          • Mar 2005

Poor show! The Daily News recently reported that Manhattan wants to capture the Ebbets Field blueprints from Brooklyn:

Comment

• VIBaseball
                            • Mar 2005

The whereabouts of the Ebbets Field flagpole had been a mystery for the past several years. Apparently now it (or another EF flagpole) now graces Brooklyn's new arena, the Barclays Center:

( AP)A key piece of Brooklyn Dodgers history is back in the public eye again — in front of the new Barclays Center. A former flagpole that once hung at Ebbets Field has been quietly installed by th…

Comment

• VIBaseball
                              • Mar 2005

Nice recent piece from Dave Anderson of the Times to mark the 100th anniversary of the opening of Ebbets Field. He notes that the park has been gone longer than it existed, but that's been true for several years now.

To remember Brooklyn’s baseball heroes, all one needs to do is walk around the block of an apartment complex erected at the former site of Ebbets Field, where the Dodgers played their first game, an exhibition on April 5, 1913.

Comment

• LAS1914
                                • Sep 2013

Gladys Goodding played the piano for Frank

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X