Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: OUR Ebbets Field History!

Bedford Avenue at Sullivan Place in a Marble ROTUNDA
    Quote Originally Posted by D6+ View Post
    Gotham, I definitely agree with your opinion about APBA Baseball. I've been in an APBA league the last 19 seasons. I started playing the game when I was 14. Except during the years I went to College and Grad School, I've been an active APBA player. The combo of the strategy of the game and it being user friendly lead to countless hours of enjoyment. As well as frustration when the dice didn't turn out the way I hoped.

One of many benefits of these simulation baseball games is it's a way to help keep the memories of the history of baseball, including the Brooklyn Dodgers, alive.

While this discussion is interesting, I must ask that you confine your remarks to the topic of this thread OUR EBBETS FIELD HISTORY.

Thank you.

c.

I was just 10 years old when the Dodgers were taken from Brooklyn. I remember Marvin Kratter, who Bought Ebbets Field and built The Ebbets Field apartments saying many times, there would always be a baseball field on the grounds. At the time I figured he was talking about a little league field.However I don't recall at any time that there was ever a baseball field on the site. Does anyone have any recollection of that. I am glad I came across this site, and hope I can contribute from time to time.

Bedford Avenue at Sullivan Place in a Marble ROTUNDA
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzy View Post
    I was just 10 years old when the Dodgers were taken from Brooklyn. I remember Marvin Kratter, who Bought Ebbets Field and built The Ebbets Field apartments saying many times, there would always be a baseball field on the grounds. At the time I figured he was talking about a little league field.However I don't recall at any time that there was ever a baseball field on the site. Does anyone have any recollection of that. I am glad I came across this site, and hope I can contribute from time to time.
    First, Dazzy, let me welcome you to OUR little corner (and the best) of BBF. It is still a wonder that WE continue to attract new BROOKLYN DODGER FANS.

As to your question, the only promise that Kratter kept was to build those big ugly apartment houses that have been falling apart for years. You may, or may not know, that there is a sign on the wall of one of the buildings that states NO BALL PLAYING HERE! Imagine that! Quite an insult to OUR hallowed ground.

Please visit US at your leisure, Dazzy. Join in the discussions and share your own personal memories with US.

c.

Any Clue About This Picture

http://cgi.ebay.com/Joe-DiMaggio-Mic...ayphotohostingHere is a picture I found of DiMaggio and Mantle that seems to clearly be from 1951 (American League Golden Anniversary Patch on their sleeves) but the backdrop is Ebbetts Field as indicated by the Press box in upper left corner of pic but when did the Yankee’s play in Ebbetts in 1951, DiMaggio didn’t play in 1952 when there was a Dodgers Yankees WS and the Yankee’s played the Giants in 1951 in the WS at the Polo Grounds so I’m stumped as I find no reference to any inter-league play , could some one please help out thanks..memoman

Actually, I've never played it. I've been playing strat since 1975 and I love it.
    Have you ever played Diamond Mind Baseball??.......I think it used to be called Pursue the Pennant.

SNAP

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham View Post
    If you had ever played APBA you would know how wrong you are. Strat-O is a distant second.

All these pics are used as a backdrop in the Strat-O-Matic game.

[IMG]ttp://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s25/SNAP1957/LINEUPSCREEN.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]ttp://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s25/SNAP1957/LINEUPSCREEN.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by MEMOMAN View Post
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Joe-DiMaggio-Mic...ayphotohostingHere is a picture I found of DiMaggio and Mantle that seems to clearly be from 1951 (American League Golden Anniversary Patch on their sleeves) but the backdrop is Ebbetts Field as indicated by the Press box in upper left corner of pic but when did the Yankee’s play in Ebbetts in 1951, DiMaggio didn’t play in 1952 when there was a Dodgers Yankees WS and the Yankee’s played the Giants in 1951 in the WS at the Polo Grounds so I’m stumped as I find no reference to any inter-league play , could some one please help out thanks..memoman
    The Yankees and Dodgers used to play a three game series of exhibition games, just before the regular season started, at Ebbets Field and Yankee Stadium. Hope this helps.

Does anyone remember what went on at Ebbets between the end of the '57 season and before the demolition in 1960? I heard one story that there was auto racing for a brief time. Anyone else recall that?

R Ryan -- just back up to post #118 on this thread, I believe it's on page 5. This is my pet topic concerning Ebbets and I explore it in full there.

VIBaseball wrote a great article on what happened to Ebbets Field after the Dodgers left. It was published in one of SABR's publications, which both VI and I are members. It was an excellent article.
    Lets get Eddie Basinski elected to the Polish Sports Hall of Fame.
    www.brooklyndodgermemories.com

Quote Originally Posted by VIBaseball View Post
    R Ryan -- just back up to post #118 on this thread, I believe it's on page 5. This is my pet topic concerning Ebbets and I explore it in full there.
    Excellent article! I don't know how I missed that.

Yankees invade Ebbetts in 1951

MEMOMAN http://cgi.ebay.com/Joe-DiMaggio-Mic...egoryZ37608QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohostin gHere is a picture I found of DiMaggio and Mantle that seems to clearly be from 1951 (American League Golden Anniversary Patch on their sleeves) but the backdrop is Ebbetts Field as indicated by the Press box in upper left corner of pic but when did the Yankee’s play in Ebbetts in 1951, DiMaggio didn’t play in 1952 when there was a Dodgers Yankees WS and the Yankee’s played the Giants in 1951 in the WS at the Polo Grounds so I’m stumped as I find no reference to any inter-league play , could some one please help out thanks..memoman
    thanks for the response to my question about the picture and now I begin my search for the date in April that was between the yankees last game in their west coast swing and then back to new york
    Last edited by MEMOMAN; 06-30-2007 at 08:53 PM. Reason: booboos

Yankees invade Ebbetts in 1951

MEMOMAN http://cgi.ebay.com/Joe-DiMaggio-Mic...egoryZ37608QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohostin gHere is a picture I found of DiMaggio and Mantle that seems to clearly be from 1951 (American League Golden Anniversary Patch on their sleeves) but the backdrop is Ebbetts Field as indicated by the Press box in upper left corner of pic but when did the Yankee’s play in Ebbetts in 1951, DiMaggio didn’t play in 1952 when there was a Dodgers Yankees WS and the Yankee’s played the Giants in 1951 in the WS at the Polo Grounds so I’m stumped as I find no reference to any inter-league play , could some one please help out thanks..memoman
    thanks for the response to my question about the ppicture and now I begin my search for the date in April that was between the yankees last game in their west coast swing and then back to new york

Tuesday, April 12, 1932 Ebbets Field Brooklyn: As Baves Manager Bill McKechnie and Dodgers Manager Max Carey look on, John McCooey, Brooklyn political figure, prepares to through out the first pitch of the new season. Carey's Dodgers would lose the opener 8-3 to the Braves in route to an 81-73third place finish.

Brownie31
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is another event that took place in the "twilight era" at Ebbets Field, after the Dodgers left. It's from The Sporting News of July 22, 1959. I'd have included it in my article if I'd known about paperofrecord.com, a great site which allows free searches of TSN.

Note the involvement of Tommy Holmes.

4-16-1942

Hello all. here is a photo i came across showing ebbets field from 4-16-1942.
    LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

Here is a great photo of ebbets field from 1942 showing centerfield and the scoreboard.
    LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast