Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Where are they now?

(This post marked the loss of Preacher Roe. Updated list at end of thread.)
    Last edited by VIBaseball; 03-31-2009 at 02:55 PM.

Clyde King

This pitcher went 14-7 for the Dodgers in 1951. However, he is perhaps best remembered today for his brief stint as Yankees manager under George Steinbrenner in 1982. He also managed the Giants and Braves and served as a scout. Apparently he is still an adviser to the Yankees.

Today Clyde still lives in the town where he was born, Goldsboro, NC. Here is a nice article about him from last year:

http://www.newsargus.com/sports/arch..._king_honored/

Billy Harris

Billy Harris is alive and doing very well. He was inducted in the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame during the summer of 2008. He was genuinely overwhelmed, and was very entertaining with his acceptance speech. He was telling us tales of the Dodgers and Jackie. He is living in Kennewick, Washington and operates his own business, Billy's Bullpen Tavern. Harris amassed 174 professional wins and 1373 strikeouts in a career that lasted from 1951-1965. He had the unfortunate luck of being a pitcher when the Dodgers lineup consisted of Koufax,Drysdale, Claude Osteen, Johnny Podres and Ron Perranoski. Billy had 45 shutouts in the minors and pitched a perfect game against Memphis on June 14, 1953.His 0.83 ERA in 1952 still stands as an organized baseball record for pitchers with 200 or more innings in a single season. Tommy Lasorda had this to say about Billy: "We were teammates, and I must say with all sincerity that he was one of the finest competitors to ever take the mound. He is very deserving of this induction." And Sparky Anderson said:"Billy came along at a tough time. If he'd pitched for another organization, or if he took the mound today, he would be regular and a big winner." Billy is now 76 and he and his wife Alice have been married 48 years and have three children. He signed an 8x10 photo for me, and he was the friendliest and nicest man. A true class act. Here are some pics. That is Tony Fernandez, who was also inducted, with his arm around Billy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tony67; 12-03-2008 at 05:36 PM.

re

Here is the autographed photo
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tony67; 12-03-2008 at 05:33 PM.

Info on Kress today

Actually, Clyde King is remembered by many for one other accomplishment. He was the guy George Steinbrenner sent to tell Yogi Berra he was fired, rather than doing it himself. That caused Yogi to break with the Yankees, which was not over until George appologized by coming to Yogi's Museum in Montclair, NJ

Don Demeter

As of 2002, this outfielder was a minister in Oklahoma City, his place of birth. This story on fellow Oklahoman and friend, pitcher Tom Sturdivant, has a photo and some background down at the bottom:

http://www.baseballtoddsdugout.com/sturdivant.html

Don had three at-bats as a Brooklyn Dodger in 1956. In his second, on September 19, he hit a homer at Ebbets Field in a 17-2 romp over the Cardinals. That game also marked the debut of Bob Aspromonte.

Quote Originally Posted by VIBaseball View Post
    That game also marked the debut of Bob Aspromonte.
    Speaking of whom, Bob lives in Houston, where he spent the bulk of his career with the Colt .45s and Astros. He also ran a Coors beer distributorship there for about 25 years before selling out to Miller when the companies merged.

Ken Lehman

This lefty pitcher mopped up in Game 2 of the 1952 Series after spending 1951 in military service. He spent the next three seasons in Montreal, where he was a big winner in 1954 and '55, before returning to the Dodgers.

He quit pro ball after 1962 and returned to his native Washington. He coached the University of Washington from 1964 to 1971 and worked 31 years for the Mount Baker School Dsitrict. He lives in Whatcom County in the northwest corner of the state.

The last news I have of him is from this 2004 article in the Bellingham Herald (only available in full if you buy it):

REMEMBERING JACKIE ROBINSON; Jackie changed game, and America; Lehman had seat next to Hall of Famer, and history

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/...ckval=GooglePM

Herman Franks

Herman Franks turned 95 on January 4. He is one of the oldest living major-leaguers.

The Utah native lives in Salt Lake City today. However, I believe he is better remembered as a member of the Giants organization than as a Dodger (1940-41, a light-hitting backup catcher).

Ralph Zig Tyko, care to comment?

Herman Franks turned 95 on January 4. He is one of the oldest living major-leaguers.

The Utah native lives in Salt Lake City today. However, I believe he is better remembered as a member of the Giants organization than as a Dodger (1940-41, a light-hitting backup catcher).

Ralph Zig Tyko, care to comment?
    Herman, when he was manager of the Giants in the late 60s and a very wealthy man, helped turn Willie's "messed up" financial world around. He was one of the myriad of folks who were managed by Leo, and went on to manage in the bigs.
    http://pushpull.wordpress.com/2007/1...aged-managers/
    ---
    Pushing on the doors of life marked "pull."
    Visit my blog

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Zig Tyko View Post
    Herman, when he was manager of the Giants in the late 60s and a very wealthy man, helped turn Willie's "messed up" financial world around. He was one of the myriad of folks who were managed by Leo, and went on to manage in the bigs.
    http://pushpull.wordpress.com/2007/1...aged-managers/
    How did Herman make his fortune, Ralph? As a private investor?

I can add a couple of other well-known managers to your list: from the Dodgers, Gene Mauch; from the Giants, Bill Rigney. Also a couple of pitching coaches: Whit Wyatt (Dodgers) and Sal Maglie (Giants).

The revised list will be reposted below.
    Last edited by VIBaseball; 03-03-2009 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Moved down to newer post

Clancy Smyres died 11/27/2007 in Lancaster, CA.

Quote Originally Posted by bbxpert View Post
    Clancy Smyres died 11/27/2007 in Lancaster, CA.
    Guess I overlooked that in the last Bio committee newsletter...sorry to hear it.

Rocky Bridges

The 11-year major-leaguer (1951-52 with Brooklyn) and longtime minor-league manager (as well as several years as a coach in the majors) now lives in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. You know who else lives up around there? Don Larsen.

How did Herman make his fortune, Ralph? As a private investor?

I can add a couple of other well-known managers to your list: from the Dodgers, Gene Mauch; from the Giants, Bill Rigney. Also a couple of pitching coaches: Whit Wyatt (Dodgers) and Sal Maglie (Giants).
    Franks made his fortune in real estate... and thank you for the names. I'll update my blog.
    Z
    ---
    Pushing on the doors of life marked "pull."
    Visit my blog

Tony Malinosky

With the passing yesterday of Bill Werber, former Brooklyn Dodger Tony Malinosky is now the oldest living major-leaguer.

Tony had 79 at-bats in 1937, and that was all.

I have not been able to uncover anything on this man after his playing days ended. However, I encountered an interesting reference in the Chicago Tribune of May 12, 1937. It was also in an Iowa paper called the Le Grand Reporter:

"The real name of Tony Malinosky, recruit infielder of the Dodgers, is Malununus. Tony, a Lithuanian, changed the name, explaining that he had taken Malinosky for short and did not notice until some time later that both names have nine letters..."

This information may be news to baseball biographers, though -- it's not in any of the references that I can see.

Also of note: Tony played at Whittier College (California) while former president Richard Nixon was there.

It appears he lives today in Oxnard, CA. Hope he's in good health -- I imagine interviewers will come calling.
    Last edited by VIBaseball; 01-23-2009 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Filled out quote on name change; info on where he is now.

Joe Landrum

This pitcher from South Carolina saw limited action with Brooklyn in 1950 and 1951. The Clemson ROTC member served a couple of years in Korea (1953-54) and finished his pro career in 1955. He is the father of Bill Landrum, who was a pretty good reliever in the majors, especially with the Pirates from 1989-91.

On March 29, 1946, while attending Clemson, Landrum defeated Carl Erskine, throwing a no-hitter. This is listed in the book Clemson -- Where the Tigers Play. I'm curious about this game, though, since it doesn't appear that Erskine pitched college ball. Landrum also faced George H.W. Bush while the future president was at Yale.

Landrum remains today in Columbia, SC. A local paper, The State, carried an article about him and his career on July 5, 2004.
    Last edited by VIBaseball; 01-31-2009 at 09:24 AM.

Elmer Sexauer

This 6'4" pitcher from Wake Forest was a Dodgers bonus boy in 1948. He pitched with Danville that year and Brooklyn called him up for two games in September. Then he came down with a sore arm. He was in spring training and also (because of his bonus, it appears) was carried on the roster for the early part of the '49 pennant-winning season, before cutdown time. From what I can tell, he never pitched another pro game.

He lives today in a retirement village in Tampa. See the top of page 3 here:

http://www.universityvillage.net/use...ary%202008.pdf

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast