Thread: Jason Lane vs Preston Wilson

Jason Lane vs Preston Wilson

On Astros.com depth chart, they have Wilson listed as the starting RF and Jason Lane as his backup. I consider Jason a much better player than Wilson, Lane is younger and is developping into let's say a "superstar" or "all-star" in the making.

Who would you elect to start on opening day in RF and everywhere else:
    Here's what I say.

C Brad Ausmus
    1B Jeff Bagwell (if retires, Lance Berkman)
    2B Craig Biggio (if retires, Chris Burke)
    SS Chris Burke (Everett's time is up)
    3B Morgan Ensberg (duh)
    CF Willy Tavares
    LF Lance Berkman (if plays 1B, Preston Wilson)
    RF Jason Lane

Bottom line: Wilson's signing proves only to be insurance if Jeff Bagwell retires, if Bagwell retires he'll probably settle down in LF and Lance Berkman will play 1B.
    Cristobal

I would rather see Preston in center but Astro fans would rather see LAne in there. Lane to me is much better.
    "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
    -Rogers Hornsby-

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
    -Rogers Hornsby-

Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

I think Wilson will play left mostly, maybe center where he probably isn't that great any longer. Assuming Bagwell breaks camp on the initial roster, I look for Bags, Berkman, Lane, Taveras and Wilson to rotate between the three OF and 1B jobs.

Oh, and try not to put a lot of stock in what is said at the team MLB.com sites.
    Never confuse character with geography --- Red Smith
    Astros Daily

Quote Originally Posted by wilkerson_rulz
    Who would you elect to start on opening day in RF and everywhere else:
    Here's what I say.

C Brad Ausmus
    1B Jeff Bagwell (if retires, Lance Berkman)
    2B Craig Biggio (if retires, Chris Burke)
    SS Chris Burke (Everett's time is up)
    3B Morgan Ensberg (duh)
    CF Willy Tavares
    LF Lance Berkman (if plays 1B, Preston Wilson)
    RF Jason Lane
    thats a good lineup however i dont agree on a few things, for example: biggio isnt retiring till he gets 3000 hits, anyway here is my lineup:
    C Brad Ausmus
    1B Lance Berkman
    2B Craig Biggio (burke as backup)
    SS Adam Everett (burke as backup)
    3B Morgan Ensberg
    CF Willy T
    RF Jason Lane
    LF Preston Wilson (burke as back up)
    Houston Rockets
    playoffs:1969,75,77,79,80,81,82,85,86,87,88,89,90, 91,93,94,95,96,97,98,99,2004,05,07,08
    West Champions:81,86,94,95
    NBA Champions:94,95
    Houston Astros
    Playoffs: 1980,86,97,98,99,01,04,05
    NL west champs: 80,86
    NL central champs: 97,98,99,01
    NL Wild Card: 04,05
    NL Champions: 05
    Houston Oilers: AFL champs 1960,61
    Texas Longhorns class of 2012
    Lufkin Panthers div 2 state champs 2001

Wilson will start in LF, Lane in RF & Taveras in CF. This according to their skipper.

BTW - I hope you are referring to rosters (positions) and not line-ups (batting order)!

Ausmus leading off

That was the defensive alignement, here's my batting order:

Craig Biggio
    Willy Tavares
    Lance Berkman
    Morgan Ensberg
    Jason Lane
    Jeff Bagwell
    Preston Wilson
    Adam Everett (Chris Burke)
    Pitcher.
    Cristobal

whats the big deal?

Lane is going to be a superstar? Cmon, hes a mediocre outfielder and always will be.

Quote Originally Posted by warbuxpr
    Lane is going to be a superstar? Cmon, hes a mediocre outfielder and always will be.
    Lane has been streaky so far in the majors, but if you have followed his history, he's been been a superstar (so to speak) at almost every other level he's played at, including in the minors and college. I don't necessarily think he'll break out and be a Bonds, Griffey Jr or Beltran type outfielder, but I do believe that he'll be an occasional all-star and definately one that an opposing pitcher would rather not face.

Quote Originally Posted by wilkerson_rulz
    That was the defensive alignement, here's my batting order:

Craig Biggio
    Willy Tavares
    Lance Berkman
    Morgan Ensberg
    Jason Lane
    Jeff Bagwell
    Preston Wilson
    Adam Everett (Chris Burke)
    Pitcher.

I'd put Taveres in the leadoff spot. Bagwell is out and Ausmus in the 7 hole.

You guys are showing a lot of love for Willy Taveras. Last year amongst players with 400+ AB's he sported the 2nd lowest ISO (.051) and a sub-par OBP. I know he can run, but a .660 OPS is tough to overcome.
    Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by KCGHOST
    You guys are showing a lot of love for Willy Taveras. Last year amongst players with 400+ AB's he sported the 2nd lowest ISO (.051) and a sub-par OBP. I know he can run, but a .660 OPS is tough to overcome.
    Willy had over 70 infield hits, I do believe, last season... If he can learn to drive the ball he could become quite the lead off hitter and a very good player... people forget last season was his first extended stay above AA, and he was in single A in 2003

His workout routine and how he conditions/develops will determine if he becomes a Rickey Henderson or a Otis Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by tadlock11
    Lane has been streaky so far in the majors, but if you have followed his history, he's been been a superstar (so to speak) at almost every other level he's played at, including in the minors and college. I don't necessarily think he'll break out and be a Bonds, Griffey Jr or Beltran type outfielder, but I do believe that he'll be an occasional all-star and definately one that an opposing pitcher would rather not face.
    He'll be a quality player recognised as a cut above the rest.
    I do not think he is mediocre. He just needs experience.
    Cristobal

I just benched Wilson in my NL-only league for J. Jones and D. Roberts.
    I hope he makes me pay for it.
    "Never expect anything and you'll always be suprised" - Unknown

Wilson vs. Lane

Jason is a better contact hitter
    Preston strikes out a lot, but he hits homeruns

Jason Lane is a horrible player, horrible, horrible, horrible player... If you look up i said this before the season started and got crap for it... look at his average now....he has already been demoted once.

Jason Lane - .207/.330/.392 with 54 Ks in 227 ABs...
    Preston Wilson - .269/.310/.407 with 93 Ks in 386 ABs....

Even though it looks like they are equally horrible, Jason Lane is worthless. The Astros need to get rid of Lane, Wilson, and Tavarez while they can still get someone for them.... And about Tavarez's 70 infield hits last year, that just shows how bad of a hitter he is, take away his speed, and what his average then??

And dont just take it from me, i have a friend who works for the Astros who reguards Lane as someone who has no business on a major league roster.

Warbuxpr, if you were a GM for another club, what would you give Houston for Lane, Wilson or Taveras right now? It's one thing to say we should trade someone, but I'm not sure what we could get for any of those guys right now. Taveras is the only one who has drawn interest from anyone recently, and even that has been lukewarm at best.

What department does your friend work in for Houston?
    Never confuse character with geography --- Red Smith
    Astros Daily

What department does your friend work in for Houston?
    Sanitation.......
    "I wanted to be a big league baseball player so I could see my picture on a bubblegum card."Al Ferrara

good one...

Public Relations.

Yeah you are probably right about not getting much back in a trade, althought i think they would be better off without these players, you arent going to get much value back. I stand corrected.