Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Interested in joining our league?

Blog Entries
    I just used the 40-man roster from Baseball-almanac. Should I have only used the guys who appeared in games?

--Only guys who played and who ended the year with your team. That is the 27 players mentioned by Lew.

Yeah, basically that eliminates everyone who won't help anyway, and get some of the clutter out of the way while you try to set up a decent roster and lineup.
    You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Blog Entries
    OK, thanks. I'll edit my roster.

Team Available Now

--We had an opening come available unexpectedly if anyone is interested in joining the league. You would be running the KC A's this season to get a feel for the league and drafting an expansion squad next season (we're doing 3 seasons a year). You would need to be a BBF regular who checks in near daily to effectively participate.

If you don't mind leecemark, I would like to take the A's.

--I'll have to discuss it with the other owners. Are you visiting BBF regularly? You haven't posted much.

Yes, I've been visiting regulary for the past couple of months. I just don't post very often.

Wasp has in fact been around here for a while but went on hiatus... welcome back btw!

Just remember to keep after the team. The program will take care of the rest.

--Wasp, if you can get a roster complete with team profile up on the Roster Thread by Sunday you can have the KC A's. Attached is their current roster, plus the batting and pitching stats for your current players and lists of free agents (couple glitches in those last 2 files, but they are mostly accurate). Once you get your roster up you can add the 4 players you need to get up to 40. You will have control of this team for training pirposes this year, but can not make trades. Next season they will be disbanded and you will be drafting an expansion team with full control (trades, free agent signings, etc).
    --For George and Eric/MSM, Sunday will make one week behind deadline for the Phillies and Senators. Please be at 40 and have your Roster page with profiles included up before then.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I would be very interested in joining if there would be an opening ...

--We have a new opening in the league. The owner in training of the Senators (Little Reb) has decided he doesn't have the time to run a team in our league. It does require pretty regular checking up to successfully participate.
    --If you are a BBF regular and think you have the time and interest to run a team in the CKL, please post your application here. You could play around with the Senators a little to get a feel for the game. They will be disbanded along with the Phillies and A's next season (starting this offseason) and you would be able to draft an expansion team.

Quote Originally Posted by leecemark
    --We have a new opening in the league. The owner in training of the Senators (Little Reb) has decided he doesn't have the time to run a team in our league. It does require pretty regular checking up to successfully participate.
    --If you are a BBF regular and think you have the time and interest to run a team in the CKL, please post your application here. You could play around with the Senators a little to get a feel for the game. They will be disbanded along with the Phillies and A's next season (starting this offseason) and you would be able to draft an expansion team.
    I'm up for the task ...

--OK, KoK you can take a stab at it. Attached are the team stats to date, team roster and free agent lists. You got a few empty roster spots if you want to add anyone. Please get your roster, lineups, pitching assignments and magerial profile posted to the CKL Roster thread ASAP and let me know when you've done so. I'll update the team program to your specifications as soon as you get that done. Use my roster set-up (less salary data - n/a for you this season) as a template. Let me know if you have any questions. Welcome and good luck.

....oops, here are those promised attachments
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by TheKingofKings
    I'm up for the task ...

--Apparently not. KoK has decided the CKL is too complicated and the opening for a new GM remains.

Do you still need owners?

We're looking for one more owner at this time. That owner can finish the season running the 1961 Senators (one of our three doormat teams) to get a feel for the league, then would draft an expansion team for the upcoming 1964 season (the league is in it's third season; the doormat teams kept their 1961 rosters for all three seasons). If you're interested, as mentioned in my post, I would strongly suggest going to the sub-category Classic Keeper League (at the top of Fantasy and Gaming category homepage) and read the league rules. If you have any questions, feel free to post or PM leecemark (league commissioner) or me.
    You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

New Opening

--One of our expansion owners has dropped out with just over a week before the draft. If you are interested please PM me ASAP. Due to the short notice, I'll be happy to assist a new owner in building a draft list. There is a significant time commitment (see the 1963-64 offseason thread for details) during the start up phase and you need to visit regularly all season to be a successfull owner.

Hey, just getting back to you again, letting you know that I am willing to help out and take that team. And just double checking, but I'll be taking over for the Senators correct?
    Last edited by Edgartohof; 10-15-2006 at 12:36 PM.

So how long will you guys do this? I need to wait another 30 years before I can easily reconize players.

Blog Entries
    I admit, it is hard work for one as young as me, where I don't know 75% of the players and have to look them up. However, it does in a way make it easier, because I've never heard of most of them and have to go solely on their stats. Make any sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Edgartohof
    Hey, just getting back to you again, letting you know that I am willing to help out and take that team. And just double checking, but I'll be taking over for the Senators correct?
    --The Senators (as well as the Phillies and A's) are being disbanded and replaced by expansion teams. So, yes, you would be taking the Senators spot, but there are no players currently on your roster. If you check the 1963-64 offseason thread there is an up to date list of players in the expansion pool near the end of it.

Quote Originally Posted by -Kyle-
    So how long will you guys do this? I need to wait another 30 years before I can easily reconize players.

--We are doing 3 seasons a year, so in less than 10 years we'll be in the 90s and in 15 or so we'll be in the present (at which time I guess we would be down to 1 season per year). Of course, whether the league survives that long is hard to say. I hope so though .

Posted by EdgarToHOF:
    OK, welcome aboard, Edgar!! I think you'll find this is a fun league to be involved with.

Posted by Kyle:
    It would just take a bit of work for you, Kyle. Kind of like if I start a league beginning in 1901, everyone would be doing that work. I have for other leagues. It helps you to learn some more of the game's history! Keep an eye on the league, if you are at all interested. The majors expand by four teams in 1969, and I rather imagine we'll be adding some as well. You'd be welcome!

Posted by Erik Bedard:
    I admit, it is hard work for one as young as me, where I don't know 75% of the players and have to look them up. However, it does in a way make it easier, because I've never heard of most of them and have to go solely on their stats. Make any sense?
    Dan, let me say that I think you are doing a fine job so far. And yes, it makes perfect sense. You don't have memories of favorites that might cause you to make a bad decision. That's happened to me already, and I'll bet it has to some of the other older owners, too.

Posted by Mark:
    --The Senators (as well as the Phillies and A's) are being disbanded and replaced by expansion teams. So, yes, you would be taking the Senators spot, but there are no players currently on your roster. If you check the 1963-64 offseason thread there is an up to date list of players in the expansion pool near the end of it.
    Post #31, Edgar. Also check the first post in the 1963-64 off season thread. You may also want to refer to the following posts in the 1963 season thread, posted by Mark and which explain the procedure a little better (I dug them out for another prospective owner): Posts 295, 394, 422.

Posted by Mark:
    Of course, whether the league survives that long is hard to say. I hope so though
    So do I, Mark. So do I!

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast