Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Interested in joining our league?

Not entirely sure where to post this, but I figured this was as good of a place as any.

Just to be sure I understand this correctly, the former doormat teams, will choose 30 players from the expansion draft, which is made up of players from those teams? And then the other 10 come from the Rookie Drafts and other subsequent PFA's, etc...?

--That is correct. You will draft 30 players from expansion pool (surviving members of the 1961 doormats and unprotected players from the other 9 teams. You will round out your roster from the rookie draft, free agency and/or trades. You have 2nd pick in both the expansion and rookie draft.
    --You'll need to pick a team name and a park that was active in 1964 and is not being used by another team (see post 1 of the discussion thread for parks currently in use). The expansion draft is Friday, October 27 at 8PM EST (5 our time). If that is not going to be a good time for you, I'll be happy to proxy for you. Just put together a draft list.
    Last edited by leecemark; 10-15-2006 at 07:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by catcher24
    It would just take a bit of work for you, Kyle. Kind of like if I start a league beginning in 1901, everyone would be doing that work. I have for other leagues. It helps you to learn some more of the game's history! Keep an eye on the league, if you are at all interested. The majors expand by four teams in 1969, and I rather imagine we'll be adding some as well. You'd be welcome!
    I'm pretty interested all right, but I'm already in a leauge, so I'll spectate from a distance until I think I can join.

Keep an eye on the league, Kyle. You can get a good feel for it by observing for a couple of seasons. We'll most likely be looking to expand again prior to the 1969 season (when the real majors expanded again). If you think you'd like to join, you could probably do so then. I'm guessing that's about 15 months or so in real time, since we do a season in about three months time.
    You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

--There is always the possiblity of an existing owner dropping out before "1969" too. I hope we can keep all our fine owners, but the reality of an online league is people tend to come and go. Maybe we can be the exception though .

Blog Entries
    Given that we went through seven expansion owners for three teams, I'd say that the likelihood of that is somewhat slim, unfortunately.

Posted by Mark:
    --There is always the possiblity of an existing owner dropping out before "1969" too
    That thought occurred to me, too, Mark. But I was afraid of jinxing us if I mentioned that thought!

EB makes a valid point, too. It would be great to get a hardcore group of dedicated DM owners, or a few more to add to our present core group, who are all great owners.
    You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

--I think owning the software makes the game more fun and aids in maximizing an owners results. Some of our best and most successfull owners have managed without it though.

Mac and JW

Can I join if there's an open team?

--We are full up at the moment, but keep checking.

ok just tell me when there's an opening

OK If any1 drops out just PM me and Ill join

can i join if someone drops out and then rockiesfan4ever joins and then someone else drops out?

Keep an eye out here. Don't know if you've read this entire thread, but we plan on expanding again in our 1969 season, which is five game seasons away, or about 15 months. Check out the league site; keep an eye on this year's season thread, see if it's anything you might be interested in. I personally think it's a great league, a good time, and really nice group of owners.

CKL League Openings

This is the kind of league I've been looking for. Talking to another member of a DMB league I am in he told me about this league.
    My hobbies including reading anything Bill James puts out, exploring baseballreference.com and trying to create a database/spreadsheet to answer the question "Who is/was the best baseball player of all time"

I am 52 and from Philadelphia so I know of the thrill of victory -1980 and the agony of defeat - 1964 (among MANY others)

So yes I have access to all baseball reference books and to DMB and would like to put them to use in this league.

Thanks for your consideration.

Ed Bupp

Quote Originally Posted by buppers
    This is the kind of league I've been looking for. Talking to another member of a DMB league I am in he told me about this league.
    Gaining notariety!

Hang in there fellas (RockiesFan, EdmondsFan, buppers)... seasons do take a while to complete (Mark has a life after all) but there will probably be a couple teams changing ownership before "1969" gets here.

--We don't have any teams open right now, but if you are active at BBF when an opening comes up we'll keep you in mind. Thanks for your interest and welcome to the site. I think you'll like it.

Posted by Buppers:
    Talking to another member of a DMB league I am in he told me about this league.
    That would be me! He's in PAP2 with us, Mark. Don't know if you saw his post on the Yahoo PAP2 thread, but I sent him an email and suggested he check out the site and put up a post here.

Welcome, Ed. Keep an eye on the site; feel free to toss in a post if you want, or add any ideas you think might be worth considering. Mark does a whale of a job with this, but neither he nor the rest of us can claim we thought of everything. Any ideas to improve the league are accepted and discussed.

im still interested

No openings at present, but stay tuned. Never know when someone might drop out, and for sure we'll be expanding prior to the 1969 season. So please keep in touch, keep checking out the season and off season threads, website, etc. Nice to know there are interested parties out there!

Quote Originally Posted by catcher24 View Post
    No openings at present, but stay tuned. Never know when someone might drop out, and for sure we'll be expanding prior to the 1969 season. So please keep in touch, keep checking out the season and off season threads, website, etc. Nice to know there are interested parties out there!
    I can play when 1969 comes around...

I'll join.

Why not open up a second league? Seems to be a lot of people wanting a team. Or more divisions?
    Let's go Yankees!

Why not open up a second league? Seems to be a lot of people wanting a team. Or more divisions?
    With the expansion, we will actually be going to 16 teams, and will split into two leagues of two divisions each. There is a fine line between adding too many teams and not having enough quality players to fill all the spots, or too few teams and having what amounts to an all star league. After much discussion (see the Expansion thread for a lot more info), we felt the "sweet spot" would be adding four teams. And yes, there does appear to be a lot of interest in the four proposed openings, but it is important to the current owners to try and get four really dedicated (or at least very interested) new owners, since we have had a couple of bad experiences already and hope to avoid that.

If you are truly interested, please consider watching our season thread, then more importantly the off season, draft and free agent auction threads, as following them for an entire off season will give you an excellent idea of what the league is all about and how it operates. And feel free to add your two cents worth, since your involvement in ongoing discussions would indicate a strong interest in becoming an owner. We will be expanding after two more "league years", which will translate pretty roughly into about eight or nine months real time. So I expect in about five months or so we will be deciding which interested individuals will get the expansion teams. That would give them the entire 1968 league season to get acclimated to our procedures and to start planning for their draft.

Five Months?!
    Let's go Yankees!

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast