X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fermin Lafita
    • Dec 2005

My random thoughts from Puerto Rico

1. Baseball is the only thing people are talking about here in Puerto Rico. In the future, if not already, Latin Americans will look forward to the WBC more than the WS. The players also seem to be into it more than many originally thought.

2. Its disgusting to see how the Cuban players are prisioners in The Hotel San Juan. They let them come out of their rooms only to eat. They walk back to their hotel rooms in a single file line followed by security officials. They are not allowed in the lobby of the hotel. On the other hand, every major star from the other teams can be seeing in the lobby hanging out.

3. Every time they show a picture of Mike Lowell and Jose Vidro on the big screen in the stadium, they are booed by the local fans for not having participated. Next time players will be fighting for spots on their country's roster.

4. Cuba has looked overmatched at times, but they are hanging in there. Their players look so much physically smaller than the Dominicans and Venezuelans. Cubans are scrappers though and they play with incredible passion and with great fundamentals. If Michel Enrique hadnt made those errors against the DR, the DR may have been eliminated. ....The pitchers from Venezuela and DR seemed like all throw in the high 90's. Cabrera last night threw a couple of pitches at 99 MPH

5. Puerto Ricans are great hosts, I've enjoyed the 11 games I've attended more than than the 4 WS I have been to.

6. It was reported that Pudge Rodriguez asked Gurriel if he had a microphone on. When he answered no, Pudge asked why he doesnt defect. To which he reponded, "Quiero pero no puedo". I dont know if this conversation really happened.

7. Many exiled Cubans that are here wish we could cheer for Cuba, however, we can't stand the thought that if Cuba wins, Fidel will give all the credit for his win to the revolution and the Communist players will dedicate the victory to the comandante. On the other hand, I'm glad the Cuban team has proven that Cubans can hang with the best Major leaguers in the world by beating Venezuela.

Just a few thoughts from Puerto Rico
  • Agente Libre
    • Dec 2005

Interesting; thanks.

Everyone is talking about #2; even the reporters are mad about how little access they've had to the Cubans. Only 2 or 3 players have been allowed to talk to the media the whole time.

I don't believe #6. If Gourriel wants to leave, nothing is stopping him. He's had about 10 opportunities in the past, I'm sure countless people have offered boat trips, and he's been standing on U.S. soil for the last 9 days.

Comment

• TonyStarks
      Yankee Forum Janitor
      • Jun 2005

As wrong as it is, #6 is the reason for #2.

I think the world of Gourriel and that he's still very young makes me wonder about his Potential in an MLB organization.

Forgive me, I am ignorant to this...if a Cuban official suspects that someone like Gourriel may try to leave the island, is there some sort of survilence that he would be put under? Is he watched more closely?
      "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

• FlashGordon
        Papa FlashGordon
        • May 2003

Originally posted by Agente Libre
        I don't believe #6. If Gourriel wants to leave, nothing is stopping him. He's had about 10 opportunities in the past, I'm sure countless people have offered boat trips, and he's been standing on U.S. soil for the last 9 days.
        While I generally think most Americans underestimate the love Cubans feel for their country and overestimate the hatred for Castro, it should be acknowledged that making that kind of a move involves more than just the will to do so. For some, the thought that they might never see their friends and family again or what might happen to those people back home as a result of their "selfish decision" is enough to keep them shackled to the team bus. Also, Castro can't have too much time left in him and I seriously doubt that even his brother can keep the party in power once he's gone. Maybe he feels it's just a matter of time and not worth the trouble it would cause in the meantime.

2007 World Series Champions
        The Boston Red Sox

Comment

• MainSlot
          • Oct 2005

Cuba,WBC,Future...

I think flashgordon has the right idea. Anyway we need to remember that not every player wants to leave Cuba. Even those who leave then miss Cuba and feel like they lost a piece of themselves. How would you feel in that situation if you had to leave your country for lets say London and then never be able to go back to live there and just be able to visit every three years? Every cuuban in the U.S. is in that situation and even thought is easier for the athletes and Cubans in other professions to defect, the decision is still very tough.

Cuba has put on a great show in this Classic and I cant help but think that next time they will do even better and the same goes for every other country involved, including the U.S. which certainly has room for improvement. If everything goes according to what I think Selig is planning then the world baseball classic should become like the Futbol World Cup (which is a very big statement since nothing comes even close to the World Cup).

Comment

• Agente Libre
            • Dec 2005

Right, but the vast majority of the people who want to leave are eventually able to do so, which is especially true for players like Contreras -- or, potentially, Gourriel -- who can pay any price to get them out.

I'm not sure Castro dying will result in any quick changes, but now is the time for Cubans to leave. Free, automatic U.S. residency for Cubans will end whenever the regime changes in Cuba. At that point, even players like Gourriel will be subject to the same waiting periods, visa quotas, etc., just like Dominicans and Venezuelans.

Also, rumor has it MLB will be holding a dispersal draft for Cubans if/when Castro dies and the island opens up, so a player like Gourriel might sign for 1/10th his value and get stuck in Kansas City for 7 years.

Unless a player really loves Cuba, this is the time to leave.

Comment

• Honus Wagner Rules
              xFIP?! I laugh at you!
              • Nov 2004

I can't wait for Cuba to be free and the Cuban players can join professional baseball.
              Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

• brewcrew82
                Mod against IL play!
                • Jan 2000

6. It was reported that Pudge Rodriguez asked Gurriel if he had a microphone on. When he answered no, Pudge asked why he doesnt defect. To which he reponded, "Quiero pero no puedo". I dont know if this conversation really happened.
                Translation please.
                RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

Comment

• MiamiBaseball
                  • Feb 2006

Originally posted by brewcrew82
                  Translation please.
                  Meaning "He wants to but he can not" meaning something is holding him back like if he does something may happend to his family or something...... i don't know if you guys notice but the team doctor is Fidel Son....

Comment

• MiamiBaseball
                    • Feb 2006

He knows how to count and he knows what he is worth.... Something is holding him back. to any of you americans here his feet are touching a free country why hasn't he gone to a officer or just say i'm staying.... El Barbu has him by the balls.. Or if its not tru about him saying he cann't stay he could be a loyal communist to fidel... Why would you want to live in a land so destroyed and not make millions.. think about it.. i know two players personally that played in the Cuban national team and i will never forget what they told me "you just don't know how loyal a bunch of them in that team are to fidel" Hope any of you white sox fan don't get mad but a hispanic TV station interview Jose Contreras when they were in the run for the WS... they asked him what does he think about his Cuban Miami fans and the WS.. And he said "I really don't care and wouldn't go to miami cause all the gusanos "the Worms" live in Miami..Gusanos "Worms" are people that are anti castro.. what do you think about that? lol

Comment

• brewcrew82
                      Mod against IL play!
                      • Jan 2000

Originally posted by MiamiBaseball
                      Meaning "He wants to but he can not" meaning something is holding him back like if he does something may happend to his family or something...... i don't know if you guys notice but the team doctor is Fidel Son....
                      Greatly appreciated.

Watching the tail end of tonights game, they mentioned Fidel's son was on the bench, but I wasn't aware he was the team doctor.
                      RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

Comment

• Cubano100%
                        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by MiamiBaseball
                        He knows how to count and he knows what he is worth.... Something is holding him back. to any of you americans here his feet are touching a free country why hasn't he gone to a officer or just say i'm staying.... El Barbu has him by the balls.. Or if its not tru about him saying he cann't stay he could be a loyal communist to fidel... Why would you want to live in a land so destroyed and not make millions.. think about it.. i know two players personally that played in the Cuban national team and i will never forget what they told me "you just don't know how loyal a bunch of them in that team are to fidel" Hope any of you white sox fan don't get mad but a hispanic TV station interview Jose Contreras when they were in the run for the WS... they asked him what does he think about his Cuban Miami fans and the WS.. And he said "I really don't care and wouldn't go to miami cause all the gusanos "the Worms" live in Miami..Gusanos "Worms" are people that are anti castro.. what do you think about that? lol

I think there is more to that story than that interview.

When Contreras pleaded to the Cuban government to realese his family, he did not bad mouth the Cuban government. Some Cubans in Miami took offense on that and critized Contreras.

Now he has said things against the Cuban government.

Comment

• Cubano100%
                          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules
                          I can't wait for Cuba to be free and the Cuban players can join professional baseball.

Thank you. I know you meant it.

As soon Castro dies, the USA lifts the Embargo. Do you want to bet? He is going to drop dead one of this days out of the blue like Yasser Arafat.

Comment

• Cubano100%
                            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Fermin Lafita
                            1. Baseball is the only thing people are talking about here in Puerto Rico. In the future, if not already, Latin Americans will look forward to the WBC more than the WS. The players also seem to be into it more than many originally thought.

2. Its disgusting to see how the Cuban players are prisioners in The Hotel San Juan. They let them come out of their rooms only to eat. They walk back to their hotel rooms in a single file line followed by security officials. They are not allowed in the lobby of the hotel. On the other hand, every major star from the other teams can be seeing in the lobby hanging out.

3. Every time they show a picture of Mike Lowell and Jose Vidro on the big screen in the stadium, they are booed by the local fans for not having participated. Next time players will be fighting for spots on their country's roster.

4. Cuba has looked overmatched at times, but they are hanging in there. Their players look so much physically smaller than the Dominicans and Venezuelans. Cubans are scrappers though and they play with incredible passion and with great fundamentals. If Michel Enrique hadnt made those errors against the DR, the DR may have been eliminated. ....The pitchers from Venezuela and DR seemed like all throw in the high 90's. Cabrera last night threw a couple of pitches at 99 MPH

5. Puerto Ricans are great hosts, I've enjoyed the 11 games I've attended more than than the 4 WS I have been to.

7. Many exiled Cubans that are here wish we could cheer for Cuba, however, we can't stand the thought that if Cuba wins, Fidel will give all the credit for his win to the revolution and the Communist players will dedicate the victory to the comandante. On the other hand, I'm glad the Cuban team has proven that Cubans can hang with the best Major leaguers in the world by beating Venezuela.

Just a few thoughts from Puerto Rico
                            Probably, I am going to hear from the Dominicans and Venezuelans on this. In Cuba athletes do not use steroids and their diet is not as good as the professional players from this countries. I do not think Cubans go to the Gym that often either. Look at CF Alexei Ramirez. He needs an IV with steroids folks.

I am saying this because there have been several reports about steroids consumption specially in the D. R. where there is not testing so far. Maybe with the new testing agreement this changed but I am not sure.

As for the Puerto Ricans authorities, I better shut up because I will start a fight with a few Puerto Ricans in this forum.

To be or not to be! You can not change colors at your own convenience. That's all. I am out!

Cuba is among the 4th best teams in the WBC. I think our pitching was the best in Round 2 in Puerto Rico. We allowed the fewest earned run of any of the teams.

Now, we have to face the mighty Dominicans in San Diego.

Comment

• JVN
                              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Cubano100%
                              Probably, I am going to hear from the Dominicans and Venezuelans on this. In Cuba athletes do not use steroids and their diet is not as good as the professional players from this countries. I do not think Cubans go to the Gym that often either. Look at CF Alexei Ramirez. He needs an IV with steroids folks.

I am saying this because there have been several reports about steroids consumption specially in the D. R. where there is not testing so far. Maybe with the new testing agreement this changed but I am not sure.

As for the Puerto Ricans authorities, I better shut up because I will start a fight with a few Puerto Ricans in this forum.

To be or not to be! You can not change colors at your own convenience. That's all. I am out!

Cuba is among the 4th best teams in the WBC. I think our pitching was the best in Round 2 in Puerto Rico. We allowed the fewest earned run of any of the teams.

Now, we have to face the mighty Dominicans in San Diego.
                              I believe that the organizers of the World Series Classic made drug testing a mandatory element for players participating. Correct if I'm wrong. As for the Cuban players not taking steriods, what information makes this a factual statement? Remember the East German teams and Russian team? We know that bulk need not be present for steriod confirmation; just look at Rafael Palmeiro, he was never know for being bulky and having grown a size or two in helmet size. Talent is talent and may Saturday's match be one for the ages.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X