Page 171 of 219 FirstFirst ... 71121161169170171172173181 ... LastLast
Results 4,251 to 4,275 of 5452

Thread: Discussion on Wood Bats

We dip once though we do use a wood filler. Hopefully by start of the season it will be two coats primer/sealer and two coats of top coat.

Quote Originally Posted by BMH View Post
    We dip once though we do use a wood filler. Hopefully by start of the season it will be two coats primer/sealer and two coats of top coat.
    Do you use a wood filler even on maple?

two coats primer + two coats of top coat will add a lot of weight to the bats compare to a single dip.

Why are you changing your dipping method?

Quote Originally Posted by dubem1 View Post
    Do you use a wood filler even on maple?

two coats primer + two coats of top coat will add a lot of weight to the bats compare to a single dip.

Why are you changing your dipping method?
    We are currently investigating a better looking finish. The new system will be sprayed on and currently only adds an extra .2oz over our current system but has a much improved look and hardness.

Anyone get new sticks for Christmas?
    See ball, hit ball.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan22 View Post
    Anyone get new sticks for Christmas?
    Hey PhillesPhan. I'll get you yet. This guy just got a new stick for Christmas. Here's his post on my Facebook page. :
    Some feedback from James Morris of Louisiana: James Morris hey man. just got in my model 10 for christmas, and hit with it a few times. hit that sucker on the screws and it sounds like a .306, and comes off the bat like a laser. . . i hit a few in a row and my eyes almost bugged out of my head. . . so happy with the purchase. any chance y'all might be able to do a dark green paint job on a bat, huh? my guys all want one of these bats!i
    21 hours ago Like

Happy New Year to all. The season isn't far off now.
    John MacDougall

John,

I like your idea and may try one someday The unfortunate thing is that I had to stop playing MSBL this past season because of severe conflict with my work schedule. I started playing modified softball for the first time in about 8 years. That schedule is much more flexible and the games don't take 4 hours.
    See ball, hit ball.

Phillie
    I feel your pain. Check out fastballBSF.com. Maybe you can get this going in your area. Looks like a cool alternative. Fast games too. Wood bats of course.
    John

Thanks. I'll check it out.

ETA: That looks like fun! Too bad that there are no leagues around here. And I don't have the time to start one.
    Last edited by PhilliesPhan22; 01-02-2012 at 07:35 PM.
    See ball, hit ball.

I picked up youth bats for my kids from Trinity, and also a replacement gamer for myself (34/32 ash, T-271, pecan stain, double flamed).

Brian-- I PMed you. Thanks!

New Christmas sticks just arrived. LS C331 Pro Light 34in and a Rawlings Pro 302 35in. Can't wait to break them out

Considering getting a CNC lathe. I was wondering if anyone here was familiar with the Motioncat TC650E. How is the Motion Cat CNC $57,000 new when all other true CNC's that most bat companies use are over 100K? I know it's made in the USA but that cannot account for a $40,000 difference. I could be wrong but maybe part of it is because there is only one main cutting blade? Also, where would one start to find a horizontal wood boring machine to cup bats? Thanks boys!!

Most other companies are using lathes with at least 4 axis though most don't use all four. This lathe only has two axis. From the video's I watched it doesn't seem like a very quick machine, but with having to use a 1-2mm knive for the main cutting you have to go slow. Overall it doesn't seem like a bad machine just don't expect 600-700 bats a day off of it in an eight hour shift.

I can't help you with the cupping machine, we built ours from scratch around 30-40yrs ago.

I have seen cupping techniques at some bat companies ranging from the horizontal wood boring-type machines to simple drill presses and wood clamps. Some companies I have seen use a gram- or ounce-scale, and use the cupping to get the weight of the bat right. Others factor in the cup size and weight when selecting the billet before cutting a bat, then cup the bat after sanding.

did the cupping spec change to 1 1/4" depth for this year?
    on espn, the reporter called the end cup "scooping"
    haha!

Yeah, we use a very sharp ice cream scoop

Yes, the spec changed to 1.25in to help knock off some more weight.

Have you ever made bats for Ryan Howard or Jimmy Rollins. They seem to be very loyal to their brands and have wondered if they have ever ordered elsewhere.
    See ball, hit ball.

Yeah, Ryan Howard ordered from us on a few occasions and Jimmy Rollins has off and on but nothing of late. We quit chasing Howard since his involvement with Marucci.

What brand is this?

Phoenix Bat Company, out of Ohio.

I have purchased from Lefty at Phoenix Bats. I have a B356 and an S123. Both flame tempered with clearcoat. They look awesome. Lefty is a good guy to deal with.
    See ball, hit ball.

domingo now has his own bat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upn4OjDxitM
    I think walks are overrated unless you can run. If you get a walk and put the pitcher in a stretch, that helps, but the guy who walks and cant run, most of the time hes clogging up the bases for somebody who can run. Dusty Baker.

Entertaining.

I must add that I miss Granite Bats. Anyone else have one?
    See ball, hit ball.

Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    domingo now has his own bat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upn4OjDxitM
    Looks like they based it off "The Torch" model. My son has one and really likes it.

I have read this wonderful thread since page 1 and am now up to 158!

Firstly, I want to thank the wealth of information provided by the main resources of information, BMH etc... and also those asking the questions - fantastic stuff!

I just joined a 25+ wood bat league, after using wood in the (machine) cage for a year. I purchased a LS M9 T141 for $79.99 that I used for the majority of the year, but after my second practice with the team, it broke in BP!
    I used my brand-new LS GI13EL MLB Player (bought the week before for $89.99) the rest of the practice, and used it once in the (machine) cage, and brought it to practice the next week, and it brakes in BP!
    The bat was used for a week and a half!
    I mean I know that wood breaks, and stuff happens, but what are the odds that two top of the line Louisville Slugger bats break within the same week, one of which is barely 2 weeks old and used 2 1/2 times?!

I seriously would love your guys' input on this matter, as I need to know what kind of wood to get. I loved the feel (while somewhat different) of both bats, and really enjoy the tradition of LS, but what gives?

Based on BMH's recommendation (pages ago!) I just put in an order for 2 Phoenix Bats (one ash 161, one maple I13) and I am really hoping for the best. I just can't afford to blow through wood like this at $80+ a pop (literally), even at $50, this would be ridiculous. I intend on saving one bat for gameday, but whose to say what can happen...

Any advice, comments or ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tomhagen View Post
    I have read this wonderful thread since page 1 and am now up to 158!

Firstly, I want to thank the wealth of information provided by the main resources of information, BMH etc... and also those asking the questions - fantastic stuff!...............................

I seriously would love your guys' input on this matter, as I need to know what kind of wood to get. I loved the feel (while somewhat different) of both bats, and really enjoy the tradition of LS, but what gives?

Based on BMH's recommendation (pages ago!) I just put in an order for 2 Phoenix Bats (one ash 161, one maple I13) and I am really hoping for the best. I just can't afford to blow through wood like this at $80+ a pop (literally), even at $50, this would be ridiculous. I intend on saving one bat for gameday, but whose to say what can happen...

Any advice, comments or ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
    Tom Hagen: I'm going to make a series of statements about wood bats. In the interest of full disclosure, I'm the inventor and manufacturer of a laminated all wood bat, the PowerWood bat. Also, BMH (or anybody) may want to chime in if they see things differently. As far as BMH recommending you buy a Phoenix bat, I didn't go back and look but perhaps you missed in your reading that the "H" is for Hillerich. Thus his expertise on LS bats. Before making bats I was a master carpenter and designed and built homes for 30 years and learned a lot about wood in general. I've also coached the game for many years and focus on hitting and pitching mechanics. I have a son who pitches in college and one who plays in high school.

1. Every wood bat has just so many "bad" hits in it. Some more and some less depending on the piece of wood.
    2. The forces in the bat/ball collision are huge. It only lasts one millisecond but averages 8000 psi.
    3. If you hit the ball on the "sweet spot" of the bat all the time, your conventional wood bat will last a long time (generally).
    4. As the contact point moves away from the sweet spot, either direction, those forces put the bat into sometimes catastrophic bending modes. (see high speed video from Baseball Research Center on my website)
    5. All the maple and ash for bats come from the same general forests, mostly in the Appalachian range. Some areas may be more conducive to growing trees that are more favorable for bats but this can jump around as well depending on climate, soil types and mix of hardwoods in the area. No bat maker has a monopoly on "good" wood.
    6. Quality of conventional wood bats depends more on the bat maker and how much time they spend "culling" what they perceive as good bat wood from "bad" bat wood.
    7. Even with best efforts by a conscientious bat maker, it is still wood. It's not magic. If you hit on the label or on the end of the barrel, the bat can break and it doesn't matter if you spent $130 or $50. I've seen bats that cost $130 break in the first at-bat and $50 bats that lasted a long time. (see #3)
    8. Learning to hit with wood if you've always used metal can be expensive using conventional wood bats due to the fact that you didn't have to "pay" for bad swings while swinging metal bats. You got helped out by NASA metallurgical engineers. Swinging with wood requires more emphasis being placed on getting the "right" part of the bat on the ball than does swinging with metal. The sweet spot counts more that just swinging hard. If you play golf, you know this.
    9, I can't attest to the number but I understand that the average MLB players goes through about 100 bats per season. (Don't quote me on this)
    10 You will hear guys swear by this brand of bat or that brand of bat but again, none of them are magic and unbreakable. This depends more on you. Baseball players like different bats for all kinds of reasons and some of them may be pretty strange. Don't try to figure it out. You'll pop a vein in your head.
    11. The game of baseball should be played with wood bats. (Whoops, I devolved into opinion. I better stop)

I just want to shed some light on the world of wood bats so that you don't have unrealistic expectations. Just remember that when you get a hit with a wood bat, you really got a hit based on your skill with the bat and it just plain feels better.

Good luck in your journey.

Page 171 of 219 FirstFirst ... 71121161169170171172173181 ... LastLast