Page 172 of 221 FirstFirst ... 72122162170171172173174182 ... LastLast
Results 4,276 to 4,300 of 5517

Thread: Discussion on Wood Bats

Powerized logo missing

Here is a Spring training image of a Louisville Slugger without the Powerized logo. Does not seem right. Had been there since 1931 (I think). Big government..LOL.

NoLogo.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by CB22 View Post
    Here is a Spring training image of a Louisville Slugger without the Powerized logo. Does not seem right. Had been there since 1931 (I think). Big government..LOL.
    That does look weird.....do you know why they took it off this season?
    In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Batman53 View Post
    Tom Hagen: I'm going to make a series of statements about wood bats. In the interest of full disclosure, I'm the inventor and manufacturer of a laminated all wood bat, the PowerWood bat. Also, BMH (or anybody) may want to chime in if they see things differently. As far as BMH recommending you buy a Phoenix bat, I didn't go back and look but perhaps you missed in your reading that the "H" is for Hillerich. Thus his expertise on LS bats. Before making bats I was a master carpenter and designed and built homes for 30 years and learned a lot about wood in general. I've also coached the game for many years and focus on hitting and pitching mechanics. I have a son who pitches in college and one who plays in high school.

1. Every wood bat has just so many "bad" hits in it. Some more and some less depending on the piece of wood.
    2. The forces in the bat/ball collision are huge. It only lasts one millisecond but averages 8000 psi.
    3. If you hit the ball on the "sweet spot" of the bat all the time, your conventional wood bat will last a long time (generally).
    4. As the contact point moves away from the sweet spot, either direction, those forces put the bat into sometimes catastrophic bending modes. (see high speed video from Baseball Research Center on my website)
    5. All the maple and ash for bats come from the same general forests, mostly in the Appalachian range. Some areas may be more conducive to growing trees that are more favorable for bats but this can jump around as well depending on climate, soil types and mix of hardwoods in the area. No bat maker has a monopoly on "good" wood.
    6. Quality of conventional wood bats depends more on the bat maker and how much time they spend "culling" what they perceive as good bat wood from "bad" bat wood.
    7. Even with best efforts by a conscientious bat maker, it is still wood. It's not magic. If you hit on the label or on the end of the barrel, the bat can break and it doesn't matter if you spent $130 or $50. I've seen bats that cost $130 break in the first at-bat and $50 bats that lasted a long time. (see #3)
    8. Learning to hit with wood if you've always used metal can be expensive using conventional wood bats due to the fact that you didn't have to "pay" for bad swings while swinging metal bats. You got helped out by NASA metallurgical engineers. Swinging with wood requires more emphasis being placed on getting the "right" part of the bat on the ball than does swinging with metal. The sweet spot counts more that just swinging hard. If you play golf, you know this.
    9, I can't attest to the number but I understand that the average MLB players goes through about 100 bats per season. (Don't quote me on this)
    10 You will hear guys swear by this brand of bat or that brand of bat but again, none of them are magic and unbreakable. This depends more on you. Baseball players like different bats for all kinds of reasons and some of them may be pretty strange. Don't try to figure it out. You'll pop a vein in your head.
    11. The game of baseball should be played with wood bats. (Whoops, I devolved into opinion. I better stop)

I just want to shed some light on the world of wood bats so that you don't have unrealistic expectations. Just remember that when you get a hit with a wood bat, you really got a hit based on your skill with the bat and it just plain feels better.

Good luck in your journey.
    I did recommend Charlie "Lefty" from Phoenix, a good friend of mine. He is a competitor but I can't say anything bad about his product. When I wrote that statement, we were not offering a large barrel maple bat for retail. That is about to change and we will be offering another species for retail too.
    Last edited by BMH; 03-06-2012 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CB22 View Post
    One of the rules they are trying to strictly enforce this year is the center brand has to start 18in from the knob. We use very old machinery to put these brands on bats, most of these machines have been in use by us since the 1920's. It's tradition. The problem for us is a lot of the newer models have more aggressive/curved tapers leading to the barrel so it isn't as flat. Usually we move the CB around to get it on properly. With this rule it isn't as easy with some models so we chose to leave off the "Powerized" logo to make the CB go on easier.

We are currently working with MLB on new logos so hopefully we will see something soon.

Quote Originally Posted by BMH View Post
    I did recommend Charlie "Lefty" from Phoenix, a good friend of mine. He is a competitor but I can't say anything bad about his product. When I wrote that statement, we were not offering a large barrel maple bat for retail. That is about to change and we will be offering another species for retail too.
    Good on ya for doing that. I do the same when called for. Some guys worry WAY too much about stuff like that. Would that be Fagus Sylvatica?

Notice on the Spring Training pic above where the ball marks are.
    Last edited by Batman53; 03-06-2012 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman53 View Post
    Good on ya for doing that. I do the same when called for. Some guys worry WAY too much about stuff like that. Would that be Fagus Sylvatica?

Notice on the Spring Training pic above where the ball marks are.
    I have to say, when I get really white ball marks on a black bat, that is usually indicative of fouling a ball straight back or a foul tip. More like a skid mark. When it's hit squarely, then no white scuffs. (Or to a much smaller degree) So it makes sense if he is hitting label up/down.

One of the rules they are trying to strictly enforce this year is the center brand has to start 18in from the knob. We use very old machinery to put these brands on bats, most of these machines have been in use by us since the 1920's. It's tradition. The problem for us is a lot of the newer models have more aggressive/curved tapers leading to the barrel so it isn't as flat. Usually we move the CB around to get it on properly. With this rule it isn't as easy with some models so we chose to leave off the "Powerized" logo to make the CB go on easier.

We are currently working with MLB on new logos so hopefully we will see something soon.
    BMH, Please share the new logos on this forum when it's a go! You know we eat this stuff up!

Quote Originally Posted by tomhagen View Post
    I have read this wonderful thread since page 1 and am now up to 158!

Firstly, I want to thank the wealth of information provided by the main resources of information, BMH etc... and also those asking the questions - fantastic stuff!

I just joined a 25+ wood bat league, after using wood in the (machine) cage for a year. I purchased a LS M9 T141 for $79.99 that I used for the majority of the year, but after my second practice with the team, it broke in BP!
    I used my brand-new LS GI13EL MLB Player (bought the week before for $89.99) the rest of the practice, and used it once in the (machine) cage, and brought it to practice the next week, and it brakes in BP!
    The bat was used for a week and a half!
    I mean I know that wood breaks, and stuff happens, but what are the odds that two top of the line Louisville Slugger bats break within the same week, one of which is barely 2 weeks old and used 2 1/2 times?!

I seriously would love your guys' input on this matter, as I need to know what kind of wood to get. I loved the feel (while somewhat different) of both bats, and really enjoy the tradition of LS, but what gives?

Based on BMH's recommendation (pages ago!) I just put in an order for 2 Phoenix Bats (one ash 161, one maple I13) and I am really hoping for the best. I just can't afford to blow through wood like this at $80+ a pop (literally), even at $50, this would be ridiculous. I intend on saving one bat for gameday, but whose to say what can happen...

Any advice, comments or ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
    BMH, your approach has been truly refreshing throughout this thread. That is what I ordered from Phoenix a 13 & 161. I am REALLY looking forward to your new large barrel maple offerings - as you see many guys throughout the thread requesting I13 in maple - I'll probably be picking them up! While I was swinging the LS's I really loved their feel & pop. Keep up the great work!

Tom,

I can also recommend Phoenix. I currently have and NK43, S123, and a B356 all in ash. The B356 is my favorite. Larger barrel, medium handle, and a standard knob. Call Lefty and ask for the "flame with clearcoat barrel." You won't be disappointed. It looks awesome. But they can only do it with ash. TBH, I've moved away from maple almost completely.
    See ball, hit ball.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan22 View Post
    Tom,

I can also recommend Phoenix. I currently have and NK43, S123, and a B356 all in ash. The B356 is my favorite. Larger barrel, medium handle, and a standard knob. Call Lefty and ask for the "flame with clearcoat barrel." You won't be disappointed. It looks awesome. But they can only do it with ash. TBH, I've moved away from maple almost completely.
    I ordered the P161 ash with flame (as pictured in the W241), it does look sweeet. I believe that all the ash flame come with clearcoat, as per the pop-up color sample page on their website. I sent an email anyway. I'll try to post once the order arrives.

Why'd you move away from maple?

Thanks for the info.

I ordered the P161 ash with flame (as pictured in the W241), it does look sweeet. I believe that all the ash flame come with clearcoat, as per the pop-up color sample page on their website. I sent an email anyway. I'll try to post once the order arrives.

Why'd you move away from maple?

Thanks for the info.
    I started to like the feel of ash better. I like birch too. I still hit with maple on occasion, I just prefer ash.
    See ball, hit ball.

I could use an explanation on LS bats marked 1xx...

Just picked one up on ebay.

I could use an explanation on LS bats marked 1xx...

Just picked one up on ebay.
    There is an explaination in this thread somewhere. 180 is storeline. I didn't think that there was much (if any) difference between 1xx, 125, and 125.
    See ball, hit ball.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan22 View Post
    There is an explaination in this thread somewhere. 180 is storeline. I didn't think that there was much (if any) difference between 1xx, 125, and 125.
    I couldn't find the explanation here. If there is no different why is 1xx on the barrel under the model#? I thought maybe it was MLB quality wood...

1XX is MLB quality wood mass produced for the minor leagues. We offer them several different models to choose from in various lengths. All of these models are turned and finished in our Pro department.

Hey guys... any recommendations for a wood bat for a 14yo HS player?
    He currently swings a 32/29 very well, looking to pick him up a good wood bat to work with, and possibly use in games. Prefer balanced over end loaded. We've never had a wood bat at all, so I honestly don't know where to begin. I'd rather not break the bank if I don't have to...but don't want to replace the bat 3-4 times a year either by buying junk. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

1XX is MLB quality wood mass produced for the minor leagues. We offer them several different models to choose from in various lengths. All of these models are turned and finished in our Pro department.
    Thanks. Makes sense in context of price point and feel.. Just picked up 33.5" I13 1xx MLB Timber Ash Cupped with 1910 engraved on the knob.

BTW, I just weighed it and it has a -4 drop! whoa! maybe because it is cupped?
    Last edited by tomhagen; 03-15-2012 at 10:31 PM. Reason: weight drop added.

Just saw a Glomar G-320. Dont know what other make model that translates to though.
    Last edited by Toye; 03-23-2012 at 05:42 PM.

Just saw a Chipper Jones Glomar G-320. Dont know what other make model that translates to though.
    Last edited by Toye; 03-23-2012 at 06:08 PM.

he swings an MS20 Raw last i knew, but uses different bats left and right

Passing this one along... Trinity has a nice deal going for opening day-- $20 off a bat. Coupon code OPENINGDAYDEAL2012

http://www.trinitybats.com/

Louisville Slugger ‏ @sluggernation
    Who's excited for our NEXT #BATDROP APRIL 7th in DALLAS http://ow.ly/i/wXOc

Is this part of the MLB Pro series - a Josh Hamilton H359?

details?

I know that John posts on here every once and awhile (macdougallbats.com), but wanted to share my experience with my PowerWood since I got it a few weeks ago. I play in a 28+ MABL league in Indianapolis and it's an all wood bat league. I don't like using cheap bats, but I also hate the feeling of snapping a wood bat that i just dropped big bucks on, so i've been doing a lot of research the past few years on a durable composite. I came across macdougall bats last winter, but couldn't bring myself to dropping $189 on a bat i hadn't swung or felt (even though John offers a type of money back guarantee). This year, after continuing to check out his site and the research behind his unique bat, i took the plunge and am so happy with my doogie. I've only had 1 practice and 1 practice game with it so far, but it feels great, sounds great and performs great. I wouldn't mind seeing it in some different profiles, but I have nothing bad to say about it at all.

sorry if this sounds like a commercial...but just wanted to share some of my thoughts with the community. no matter what level you're playing at, if you're looking for a solid wood bat...check out macdougallbats.com. It's not cheap, but 6 bats were broken were broken in 1 practice game we played in last week which adds up quick (a couple were cheap bats, but a majority of them were nice maple or ash bats). Also has a great 4 month warranty!

Louisville Slugger ‏ @sluggernation
    Who's excited for our NEXT #BATDROP APRIL 7th in DALLAS http://ow.ly/i/wXOc

Is this part of the MLB Pro series - a Josh Hamilton H359?

details?
    Yes, the H359 is coming out as in our Player Series and our MLB M9 series for Retail. I'm also trying to get the I13 and C243 in our M9 series too. Though there isn't much difference between the H359 and I13.

Also, our other product is in the field being tested and is showing good results. Eventually, we will be offering a store line version too.
    Birch.JPG
    Last edited by BMH; 04-04-2012 at 07:10 AM.

LS in birch. I am VERY interested!
    See ball, hit ball.

Page 172 of 221 FirstFirst ... 72122162170171172173174182 ... LastLast