Page 222 of 222 FirstFirst ... 122172212220221222
Results 5,526 to 5,545 of 5545

Thread: Discussion on Wood Bats

BWP made an oak bat few years ago without much fanfare or good results from what I recall. Although nothing they make has good results

Quote Originally Posted by The Glovedoctor View Post
    I saw a picture of a LS Oak bat. Are those available yet, BMH - and can you tell us any interesting facts about the performance of Oak?

When I was working with Mine Bat Co, they gave me a composite "Fusion" bat made of Oak/Euro Beech. I loved the feel of it.

Quote Originally Posted by danabaseball View Post
    BWP made an oak bat few years ago without much fanfare or good results from what I recall. Although nothing they make has good results
    They still do, I had one of their oak bats, think it was 243 or 271 model. I though it hit well, a bit heavier than I liked. Gave it to a teammate who hit almost 2 years with it before it started to flake pretty bad. Don't think it ever broke.

Hey BMH, how you doing? Hope you had a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! Figured I would join the conversation.

This is my first post in a long time not sure I did it right. LOL
    DR1
    Kyle
    Dinger Bats
    www.dingerbats.com

Kyle!

How are you doing? I hope you and your family had a great holiday too.
    Sorry I missed you guys after the manufacturer's meeting. I met up with Garrik and we ended up watching Indiana play and I had to be up for my flight at 4:30 so I wasn't staying out late.
    As for right now I am doing the usual song and dance about not having enough people, time or wood for ST. Our union got two extra sick days (for a total of four) this year and of my 53 employees, 26 of them have already used the two new ones.

My first post on this site after following this thread for some time. I've been seeing a lot of bat companies flame treating maple as of recently and I just ordered one from Old Hickory and it looks really cool. How come this is just now starting to happen? Is there a different process flame treating maple versus ash? I wonder if it really does make the wood a little drier/harder. Maybe it'll keep my bat from gaining so much weight since I'm the type of player who weighs his bats often.

Brian, I saw a pic of Ernie Banks with a slugger in his hand. He was well before my time but I admired the man at least the past 10 years or so and would like to know what model he swung usually? Thx and happy new year!

Red face A Frenchy, Baked and Dunn

image.jpgimage.jpgI paid a lot of scratch for these 3 tasty sticks but at almost 100 different models now hanging on my workshop walls I am ready to acquire a copy lathe and make my own. Gonna be fun!

Quote Originally Posted by ras-tbone View Post
    Brian, I saw a pic of Ernie Banks with a slugger in his hand. He was well before my time but I admired the man at least the past 10 years or so and would like to know what model he swung usually? Thx and happy new year!
    Just in case we don't hear from BMH right away, I believe Mr. Cub used the S2.
    When Ernie was young, a lot was made of him using a "whip-handled" bat...although I believe Musial's bats (the M159 was his ultimate model, I think) were just as thin where you grab it, and he obviously predated Banks. I think the S2 had a bit more meat in the barrel, so maybe that's why its thin handle stood out more.
    "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Dude Paskert View Post
    Just in case we don't hear from BMH right away, I believe Mr. Cub used the S2.
    When Ernie was young, a lot was made of him using a "whip-handled" bat...although I believe Musial's bats (the M159 was his ultimate model, I think) were just as thin where you grab it, and he obviously predated Banks. I think the S2 had a bit more meat in the barrel, so maybe that's why its thin handle stood out more.
    Willie Mays S2: Mays, Banks, Rose, Eddie Matthews, Darryl Strawberry, Dave Kingman all used the S2. I had an Oscar Gamble pro S2 that I used many years ago. In the 80's the S2 was one of the models you would typically find at retail. I even think "S2" was trademarked because of it's former popularity. I've posted about this before and have put up some other pix. Never got a hold of a modern day - CNC lathe version. That would be cool.

10317a_lg.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by CB22 View Post
    Willie Mays S2: Mays, Banks, Rose, Eddie Matthews, Darryl Strawberry, Dave Kingman all used the S2. I had an Oscar Gamble pro S2 that I used many years ago. In the 80's the S2 was one of the models you would typically find at retail. I even think "S2" was trademarked because of it's former popularity. I've posted about this before and have put up some other pix. Never got a hold of a modern day - CNC lathe version. That would be cool.
    Yep, I bought an S2 store model when I was in high school and liked the feel of it. I think that was one of the bats I ruined by thinning the handle down too much on my dad's grinding wheel and eventually gave away.
    I'm sure Rose used lots of different models in his long career (including Mizuno at the end since they paid him big bucks for the honor), but I do see that he used S2s at one time. Odd to me because I remember a quote from him about how he always preferred thick handles...although I know he tended to use a lot of tape and maybe would build them up to a feel he liked with that.
    "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Couple of Mr. Cub S2's:

ernie banks2.jpgernie banks.jpg

Okay, back to work before the snow hits.....

I have an Eddie Milner S2. It is one solid piece of wood.
    See ball, hit ball.

Thanks Dude, CB22 and PP22! An S2 for Ernie B seems very fitting " Let's play 2" And I don't have this model yet! That's what I tell the wife every time a box arrives.

Can somebody who knows wood tell me if it's possible for (good) maple to grow this fast. Grains look like ash.150127_001.jpg150127_002.jpg

Could this be silver maple?

Oh, and anybody know the best way to add 70 grams of weight to a wood bat?

My son has a maple bat that makes the most the most gorgeous crack when he hits it right. I'd like him to use it during BP, but it's 70 grams lighter than his BBCOR metal game bat and I'd like to get it closer to the weight of his game bat.

I have a bunch of forstner bits.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris O'Leary View Post

My son has a maple bat that makes the most the most gorgeous crack when he hits it right. I'd like him to use it during BP, but it's 70 grams lighter than his BBCOR metal game bat and I'd like to get it closer to the weight of his game bat.

hey chris. What I was doing was drilling holes in the bat and adding small cylindric fishing weights (use drill size same as weight and close with epoxy glue). if you arange them around the sweetspot you can do that without altering balance. it isn't game legal anymore though but you can hit well with it.
    I think walks are overrated unless you can run. If you get a walk and put the pitcher in a stretch, that helps, but the guy who walks and cant run, most of the time hes clogging up the bases for somebody who can run. Dusty Baker.

Sand the finish off the barrel then soak it in the bathtub for a short time. Let it dry for 24 hours then weigh it. Repeat if necessary. If it's too heavy, use the forstner bit. MBL allows barrel end drilling up to 1 1/4 in. deep.

If you soak bats in water, it will warp! If you wa t to add an ounce to a cupped bat try shoo-goo or chewing gum. After it hardens it works well. Best choice, get another bat!

Can somebody who knows wood tell me if it's possible for (good) maple to grow this fast. Grains look like ash.150127_001.jpg150127_002.jpg

Could this be silver maple?
    I've never really had much luck with maple bats with grain that wide. I've always found that the pop just isn't near as good as a bat with much tighter grain (a.k.a. longer growth time). As for the durability, it doesn't seem to be affected as much when it comes to grain tightness. I have an Old Hickory, and a Pro Cut Marucci, and both have grain similar to that. I only use them for batting practice (I bought them online relatively cheap, no way would've I bought them in store after seeing the grain). I've always found ordering direct from the company yields better results in terms of quality (and obviously, a heftier price as it's custom). For that reason, no way would I buy a maple bat with grain that wide, especially if it's expensive. I'm not an expert on this stuff, and these are my personal opinions, so I'd be interested in having somebody
    with expertise comment on the matter. One thing I really dislike is the wide discrepancy between different bats of the same brand, especially when they're the same price.

I've had mixed luck with maple. The feel of maple grew out of favor with me. I now prefer ash or birch. That said, I've never seen maple with grains that wide. I would never soak my bats in water. Drilling into the barrel may destroy the wonderful crack your are so fond of.
    See ball, hit ball.

Page 222 of 222 FirstFirst ... 122172212220221222