Page 224 of 224 FirstFirst ... 124174214222223224
Results 5,576 to 5,596 of 5596

Thread: Discussion on Wood Bats

Anybody willing to explain how to flame temper maple...

BMH

I recently discovered this forum discussing wood bat production very openly. I have spent a lot of time since reading the posts, and I plan on continuing.

I make wood bats with a couple of friends. I was hoping you would answer a couple of questions for me.

1) What is the best process for filling paint after engraving? I have seen others simply paint over the top and then rub the excess off, leaving only the paint in the engraving. Our process is much more careful, and usually ends with the same result. Occasionally, however, the paint smears on the bat. We then attempt to rub and sand the area to remove the paint. Sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't.

2) Can you give me any information on which billet weights lend themselves to particular models? Specifically, I was wondering what models to make from the heavy billets.

Thank you so much for being so open. I was surprised at first, but after I thought about it, why wouldn't you be? You are the leader in the industry, making an excellent product, with 150 years of history.

Thank you

Went to Tennessee this past weekend and on the way I decided to stop at the Louisville Slugger Factory gift shop to look through the blems they had. I was really hoping I could find one like I did last time, the bat that might be a U45, but since it's just whatever blemish bats they have I didn't have much hope. I did not find one, but I came away with two other bats. One of them being a very skinny knobless bat, and the other a C353. At the time I didn't pay much attention to the signature on the bat, I just knew it was a C353 and of a White Sox player. Then when I got back from my trip I remembered ras-tbone had posted a picture of a C353 White Sox bat. I looked at both signatures and they were the same, it's an Adam Dunn bat (although mine has a "." after the signature). It's absolutely beautiful, the pictures won't do it justice because of quality, but very nice straight grains all the way throughout. It's a 34.5/32oz ash bat. Took it out today and got about 100 swings off a tee with it, I'm definitely in love with the bat. Here's some pictures...

c353back.jpgc353front2.jpgc353side.jpgc353sig.jpg

And some comparison for the size of the knob. I wasn't sure how well I'd like it actually hitting with it, it felt good in my hands just holding it but I was worried I may not like it. The knob may be big, but it was very comfortable to hit with. From left to right, it's the C353, possible U45? and the knobless bat.

knobs.jpg

I love going to the LS factory to get some blemish bats, they're only $20 a piece and it's a nice way to try out different models without spending much. I believe I have 7 or 8 from there now, and I absolutely love three of them and the rest are still decent bats, just not my favorite models.
    Last edited by cubsfan776; 03-16-2015 at 12:49 PM.

I have a feeling that if I ever get down to the Slugger museum I will be coming home with a trunk full of bats

Quote Originally Posted by Blue24 View Post
    I have a feeling that if I ever get down to the Slugger museum I will be coming home with a trunk full of bats
    Yes and yes!!!!!
    See ball, hit ball.

Ras,

Brian said somewhere in this thread that the S329 was made for Chris Speier and is more I13 than the current I13.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...peiech01.shtml
    See ball, hit ball.

Cubs an..., that's awesome ! I got my Dunn bat from some bloke in the Midwest and it was unused. For me that's no problem as long as it's straight. It swings so smoothly although mine is 34.25oz which is at the limit of weight that befits me. I prefer 920g-950g generally. $20 blems, man that makes me even more homesick. Btw, I thought it was pretty lame that Dunner didn't get an at bat last post season! Sad end to a storied career!

Quote Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan22 View Post
    Ras,

Brian said somewhere in this thread that the S329 was made for Chris Speier and is more I13 than the current I13.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...peiech01.shtml
    Yes! S329 made for spier in 1984! It is an awesome bat and the data I have is it is an all around slightly thicker I13! Very balanced bat yet with a beefy barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue24 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan22 View Post
    Yes and yes!!!!!
    It's hard not to buy all of them! I hope you guys (and everyone really) gets a chance to go there for a visit, it's a great experience overall. Plus, lots of bats, you can never go wrong there.

Quote Originally Posted by ras-tbone View Post
    Cubs an..., that's awesome ! I got my Dunn bat from some bloke in the Midwest and it was unused. For me that's no problem as long as it's straight. It swings so smoothly although mine is 34.25oz which is at the limit of weight that befits me. I prefer 920g-950g generally. $20 blems, man that makes me even more homesick. Btw, I thought it was pretty lame that Dunner didn't get an at bat last post season! Sad end to a storied career!
    That bat sounds like a monster! I know some of the weight is offset by the big knob, but still that's a lot of weight. The one that I have is about perfect weight for me. Got to take batting practice outside on the fields with my buddy yesterday and I was hitting line drive after line drive with the C353, I'm a huge fan of it. Like you said, very smooth swinging bat.

I agree though, it was definitely sad to see him not get any AB's. I've lived in Cincinnati my whole life and grew up watching Dunn playing for the Reds, I was rooting for him to get a chance in the post season. He had so much power, it was great to watch.

I remember making the C353 for Jeff Conine. It was copied off a Max MBX I think. He just told me to make the barrel bigger and the knob bigger; so I did. Jeff didn't really use the model but Dunn picked it up and fell in love.

Wilson buys Louisville Slugger...

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/12...ger-70-million

Quote Originally Posted by Bolts-Baseball View Post
    :'(

Hopefully we will not see "Wilson" stamped anywhere on the bats.
    See ball, hit ball.

From my understanding the Louisville Slugger brand will stay "Louisville Slugger". We are now the OEM so to speak in making the bats.

Quote Originally Posted by BMH View Post
    From my understanding the Louisville Slugger brand will stay "Louisville Slugger". We are now the OEM so to speak in making the bats.
    Metal and Comp too?

Hillerich & Bradsby still owns the production of wood bats and the museum. Sales of wood bats and everything non-wood (alu, comp, gloves, etc) is now the property of Louisville Slugger (Wilson). I hope that makes sense.

Wison is a solid company from the perspective of product quality and variety IMO. This looks to have the potential for a tremendous synergy! BTW, when i played at univ in the late 80's i used wilson catcher's mitts that were fabricated in japan! Those were of excellent craftsmanship.

I've got to admit, they have better gloves. Our bats (nonwood) haven't been the best for a few years but I will put this years line up against Easton any day of the week. The plus with Demarini is they are manufactured in the USA. Our non-wood has not been for several years. Hopefully they will be able to bring Louisville Slugger back to the USA where it belongs. I've always hated the fact we moved non-wood to China.
    Funny note, if you look at our Facebook or Twitter there are several comments about us selling out and moving everything to China. In truth this will allow everything to be brought back home.

Quote Originally Posted by BMH View Post
    I've got to admit, they have better gloves. Our bats (nonwood) haven't been the best for a few years but I will put this years line up against Easton any day of the week. The plus with Demarini is they are manufactured in the USA. Our non-wood has not been for several years. Hopefully they will be able to bring Louisville Slugger back to the USA where it belongs. I've always hated the fact we moved non-wood to China.
    Funny note, if you look at our Facebook or Twitter there are several comments about us selling out and moving everything to China. In truth this will allow everything to be brought back home.
    I have always nudged my son towards LS, The Omaha Line was always great and the Triton 2 BB were in class by themselves. I was not that impressed with the 2013 Omaha or the 2014 Assault, but this years Omaha (515) -5 is a great bat.

It seems that the G174 is being used more this spring, it is my favorite bat. Has there been more orders this spring? What about the whole barrel to handle ratio in regard the the G174? Has this changed?
    Patrick

I think Pedroia is using a Rawlings tonight.

I always like to see players swing Rawlings as that is what I used as a kid.

Page 224 of 224 FirstFirst ... 124174214222223224