Page 226 of 226 FirstFirst ... 126176216224225226
Results 5,626 to 5,647 of 5647

Thread: Discussion on Wood Bats

Quote Originally Posted by motherlode View Post
    They are not. No composite or hybrid bats allowed.
    PerfectGame JUST this past week, revised their rule regarding wood bats... So, unfortunately my advice earlier is now moot... Good luck with your search.

Check this picture of Cleveland Browns All-Pro cornerback Joe Haden with a Silver Creek bat he signed during his Charity Softball game in 2014. Silver Creek will be sponsoring the 2015 game on Sat. June 6 and will feature Haden, Richard Sherman, Johnny Manziel, and Dion Sanders along with 20 other NFL stars to help support Joe and his charity. Home Run Derby and NFL player game, and autograph session all start at 5:00 in Eastlake Ohio. IMG_1295 (3).jpg

So I am definitely a huge fan of wood bats...own probably 30-40. I made another trip down to Louisville Slugger today to check out what bats I could find that I liked. My Adam Dunn C353 broke in live batting practice (change up low ) a week before my season started.

I was lucky enough to find some great bats once again. I got two S318's and one W310. Both models felt great in my hands and getting home and finally getting some swings in with them was great, both exceeded my expectations. I now wish I had convinced myself to get a second W310 but I didn't have enough money for a 4th bat. But these were absolute steals at only $30 each.

Two of the three bats have beautiful straight and wide grains (all ash).

I'm definitely convinced my best option is to just give LS a visit from time to time to pick up new bats. I don't know if anyone else feels this way but I really like picking up a bat and feeling it before I buy it. Most custom bats I've ordered online I've been disappointed with. So knowing that I can't feel a model until it's already paid for doesn't make sense for me. And with LS just an hour and a half drive away, it's an affordable and convenient option.

image.jpg
    image.jpg

cubsfan,
    i totally concur with your feelings. sadly i have stopped buying any sam bats and marucci and dinger (old owner) thru their repsresentatives as they come massively overweight (sam 6 bats) +2.5 oz! from what i ordered, or unhittably warped 3x (marucci) or supelow quality grained (dinger). these were at premium prices too! (roughly $90-120).
    i am today going to order a couple max bats for only the second time as the first batch was decent grain and at the weight i ordered. they have a nice variety of models including the B267 i love.
    the W310 looks awesome btw!

Oh and I forgot to mention in my last post, all of the bats I got today are 34.5". That length just feels right for me, and I may have to go back down when I get paid this week to get a few more before they all sell.

Quote Originally Posted by ras-tbone View Post
    cubsfan,
    i totally concur with your feelings. sadly i have stopped buying any sam bats and marucci and dinger (old owner) thru their repsresentatives as they come massively overweight (sam 6 bats) +2.5 oz! from what i ordered, or unhittably warped 3x (marucci) or supelow quality grained (dinger). these were at premium prices too! (roughly $90-120).
    i am today going to order a couple max bats for only the second time as the first batch was decent grain and at the weight i ordered. they have a nice variety of models including the B267 i love.
    the W310 looks awesome btw!
    Yeah it's hard to believe that you can pay so much for a bat and still not get good quality, or even close to the weights you want. It can definitely be frustrating. I had a lot of issues with bats coming in much lighter than I wanted, or the model not being exactly what I was expecting (slight or even sometimes major variances from different companies with some models). I finally got to the point where I can accept that I may not always get the exact model I want, but I can almost always find a couple bats at LS that feel great in my hands (and for a great price too). Plus I'm a huge Louisville Slugger bat fan, if I could get the exact same bat from any company I'd choose LS 10 times out of 10. Hopefully you have good luck with that second order from Max Bats.

Next time you're in the museum send me a PM. What we offer in the museum is nothing compared to the BPAS racks.

cubsfan,
    the main reason i ordered from max this time is i wanted to get an H176 at 35" this is a knobless model and i have the slugger at 34" but i wanted to see how a 35" swings (max offers 35") as i choke up an 1" on this model usually.
    btw i also love slugger the most of all makers but find rawlings to be of equal quality (with pro bats that is).

Miss those pre ink dot days when full xl maple barrels were fairly easy to get a hold of - darn near impossible now regardless of price.

Quote Originally Posted by BMH View Post
    Next time you're in the museum send me a PM. What we offer in the museum is nothing compared to the BPAS racks.
    I would love that, I'll definitely let you know when I'm going again. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ras-tbone View Post
    cubsfan,
    the main reason i ordered from max this time is i wanted to get an H176 at 35" this is a knobless model and i have the slugger at 34" but i wanted to see how a 35" swings (max offers 35") as i choke up an 1" on this model usually.
    btw i also love slugger the most of all makers but find rawlings to be of equal quality (with pro bats that is).
    That definitely makes sense, it's always good to experiment to see what works best (and of course that's a great excuse to get more bats ). I know I tried a knobless bat that was sort of similar, and I could not figure out how to hit with that thing. Props to you for being able to.

My son really likes LS 33" MLB XX Prime C271's - Ash...

Saw some info on them, and was wondering it it's correct...:

XX bats are the bats that professional players swing. These are the exact same inventory sent to minor league teams or to professional players who buy directly from Louisville but are not under contract with Louisville.

XX timber bats have the straightest grains and most consistent weight. XX bats are selected to have consistent weight. XX bats also feature higher quality finishes on the bat which can help keep moisture from getting into the bat with the exception of the unfinished models. XX bats are also rarely available to the public.

Thanks!

Post Jingu Batting Dome-- in downtown tokyo

mizuno display recently put up to market some equipment and show off the dynamic history pf the company! they are proud of the hit king --prevaricating pete rose
    image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

starbat.jpg How about that!?

My phone blew up over that one. I'm sure Dave is laughing about everyone talking about the bat. First, I'm surprised the umps didn't throw it out. Second, I'm surprised the other coach didn't have the bat thrown out. Third, I'd love to be eavesdropping on the phone call between Chandler and MLB over that one.

I thought I would come to the experts here for a question. Have you ever seen a bat that gets "warped"? I bought a bat about a month ago from a local manufacturer for my 13 year old. He only swings in practices, so it has not had much use. I understand wood breaks, but I would not think a 13 year old can cause a bat to bend/warp. Would you call this defective?

Quote Originally Posted by mkoehn View Post
    I thought I would come to the experts here for a question. Have you ever seen a bat that gets "warped"? I bought a bat about a month ago from a local manufacturer for my 13 year old. He only swings in practices, so it has not had much use. I understand wood breaks, but I would not think a 13 year old can cause a bat to bend/warp. Would you call this defective?
    I am certainly no expert on wooden bats, but I have worked with wood for years. Changes in temp, humidity, direct sunlight, moisture content, etc. can have effects (sometimes extreme) on all types of wood. I'm not saying it's any one of these things, but that's where I'd start in trying to figure out what happened.
    Ty Cobb-"Every great batter works on the theory that the pitcher is more afraid of him than he is of the pitcher."

Quote Originally Posted by BMH View Post
    My phone blew up over that one. I'm sure Dave is laughing about everyone talking about the bat. First, I'm surprised the umps didn't throw it out. Second, I'm surprised the other coach didn't have the bat thrown out. Third, I'd love to be eavesdropping on the phone call between Chandler and MLB over that one.
    The genie's out of the bottle now... I wonder if MLB will promote this (Because it's cool and people like it) or disallow it (Because it's cool and people like it)...?

Earlier this year MLB wanted samples of different shades of "red" for possible use. We sent in the samples, we waited, we waited and we never heard a word. Finally, they said it was tabled because MLB's lawyers (there are lots) and the player's union's (even more than MLB's) could not make up their minds so they stopped the project.

I doubt this will get very far either.

This message is relevant to my current situation. I was looking at the LS online store and wondering if one could walk in and buy those bats. Am I to understand that you have game ready bats for sale in the museum/gift shop. What is this BPSA that you speak of and would your offer to examine the bats there extend to others. I have a 16 yr old kid who is getting a certain amount of attention and is playing wood bat tournaments. It just so happens you have some bats we have been looking at. He really likes the look of this one and this one also. Thanks
    Last edited by SomeBaseballDad; 07-07-2015 at 06:00 PM.

I think the old term for this is "sprung"...I have a very old bat that has a very pronounced curve to it now. If this has happened with a new bat, I suspect that there was a problem with the wood itself.
    "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

I have 2 bats bought within the last 2 years that have noticeably warped after I got them. Interestingly, they are both birch... It certainly was not your son's doing - wood moves...

Z

Last edited by Bolts-Baseball; 07-13-2015 at 07:32 AM.

A couple of pics of a hickory youth bat we sent out today.Length 30 inches and 27 oz in a 271 profile. Has a custom knob we use on you bats.

We also have extra shag and pig hickory billets we are moving that range from low 90s to about 105. Moisture is 7-8.5 percent. These are quarter-sawn from our Amish mill and can be cut into most profiles with a drop 2-3. PM me for any additional info. Will post some other pics of custom painted bats that we are now producing when I get the chance.104_0690.JPG104_0689.JPG[ATTACH]149330[/ATTACH
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 226 of 226 FirstFirst ... 126176216224225226