Page 223 of 223 FirstFirst ... 123173213221222223
Results 5,551 to 5,555 of 5555

Thread: Discussion on Wood Bats

Yesterday, I was looking at my S2 and my BO16. I noticed that the BO16 appears to be an S2 with a bigger barrel and thinner handle. Knob and taper both look the same.
    See ball, hit ball.

A question I have about wood bats has to do with the manner in which they tend to fracture, particularly ash bats. Looking at the ones I've broken, I feel like they fail under sheer (Mode II/III) at the handle, rather than by dilation/separation (Mode I), fracturing..

Any materials engineers in the house?
    "That ball got outta here in a hurry.. Ya know.. anything that travels that far ought to have a damned stewardess on it, don't ya think?

Quote Originally Posted by smhorton View Post
    A question I have about wood bats has to do with the manner in which they tend to fracture, particularly ash bats. Looking at the ones I've broken, I feel like they fail under sheer (Mode II/III) at the handle, rather than by dilation/separation (Mode I), fracturing..

Any materials engineers in the house?
    It's a "cascade" event. Tension rupture at outer surface then become bending shear. They can break other ways but this is the usual scenario. It's an organic material so analysis is engineering mixed with zen.
    John MacDougall

Quote Originally Posted by Batman53 View Post
    It's an organic material so analysis is engineering mixed with zen.
    John MacDougall
    That's a good description. If you don't mind, I will borrow that when talking about fractures in other contexts..
    "That ball got outta here in a hurry.. Ya know.. anything that travels that far ought to have a damned stewardess on it, don't ya think?

Page 223 of 223 FirstFirst ... 123173213221222223