Thread: Position by position

Position by position

Rickey_Henderson came up with an interesting idea of a postion by position battle between all of the teams. This includes both historical and active players. I am assuming that we pick one person per position, 5 starters, a closer, and a middle reliever, and a DH. We can use this thread to discuss who we think we should choose to represent our Braves franchise. I think we can pick a team that can compete with almost any franchise. Hopefully, all of ya'll will be as interested in this as I am.
    "I never saw anyone like Ty Cobb. No one even close to him. He was the greatest all time ballplayer. That guy was superhuman, amazing."
    -Casey Stengel

Here is what I am looking at for the candidates so far:

OF
    Hank Aaron
    Andruw Jones
    Hugh Duffy
    Tommy McCarthy
    Dale Murphy
    Wally Berger

1B
    Fred Tenney
    Tommy Tucker
    ?Eddie Mathews?

2B
    Bobby Lowe
    Bill Sweeney
    Mark Lemke
    Marcus Giles

SS
    Rabbit Maranville
    Johnny Logan
    Herman Long

3B
    Chipper Jones
    Eddie Mathews

C
    Joe Torre
    Del Crandall
    Javy Lopez

SP
    Greg Maddux
    Warren Spahn
    Kid Nichols
    Tom Glavine
    Phil Niekro

SU/CP (pick one for closer and one for set up man)
    John Smoltz
    Gene Garber
    Mark Wohlers
    Steve Bedrosion
    Cecil Upshaw

DH (we'll see how the voting goes and who is remaining before coming to this)

I think that (if allowed) putting Mathews at first could be an option. I only listed five pitchers for the starters because I don't see much of an argument if Smoltz is going to be used in relief.

Any mistakes or omissions.
    "I never saw anyone like Ty Cobb. No one even close to him. He was the greatest all time ballplayer. That guy was superhuman, amazing."
    -Casey Stengel

Eddie Mathews only played 112 games at first base and just 7 games at first in a Braves uniform. I don't think that's a viable option.

C
    Pretty much nailed the three best in franchise history.

1B
    Joe Adcock, Chris Chambliss, possibly Fred McGriff or even Bob Horner instead of Matthews.

2B
    I can't believe you forgot Glenn Hubbard.

SS
    Jeff Blauser needs to be on there just because.

3B
    They are the best. Maybe Horner here too.

OF
    Tommy Holmes has to be in there.

SP
    Vic Willis
    Tommy Bond
    Lew Burdette
    Bob Buhl

Just because.

RP
    Rick Camp and Greg McMichael as wild cards.

All done!

Yea, I guess we have about as good of a claim to McGriff as anyone. I was afraid that's what everyone would say about putting Mathews at first. I guess the thing to do would be to play him at third and DH Chipper.
    -Casey Stengel

5. Please add a poll here and include one 1 starter not five, thanks

Keep Mathews at 3rd. Adcock is tough at 1st.
    Please find a place for Rico Carty, he was a tough out.
    Braves Fan Forever
    Rico Carty, Eddie Mathews, Evan Longoria

http://public.fotki.com/cpope3/

Member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by Cpope
    Keep Mathews at 3rd. Adcock is tough at 1st.
    Please find a place for Rico Carty, he was a tough out.
    Boy is my face red!

With only one starter
    My ballot for now is:

C Joe Torre
    1B Fred Tenney (I think we have to give McGriff to the Blue Jays)
    2B Bobby Lowe
    SS Rabbit Maranville
    3B Eddie Mathews
    OF Hank Aaron
    OF Andruw Jones
    OF Hugh Duffy
    DH Chipper Jones
    SP Greg Maddux
    CP John SMoltz
    SU Gene Garber
    -Casey Stengel

What should the poll consist of?? I'll add it if I get the contents.
    2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Braves Freak
    What should the poll consist of?? I'll add it if I get the contents.
    I am not sure if there is a set time limit for us to form our team, but I would suggest we have a nomination process. How about we say each person can nominate anyone that they would seriously consider voting for. You could then take all nominations and create a poll. If we do this, then we won't be held to a certain number of players at each position. I mean third base and Dh are pretty much wrapped up IMO. Chipper and Mathews take this rather easily in which ever order we place them. However, there are some positions with multiple legitimate candidates. The players I picked in post 8 will serve as my nominations.
    -Casey Stengel

Atlanta Braves Freak and I have been talking via pm, and we have agreed that there is not enough traffic to warrant a series of position by position polls. He and I have formed this tentative roster:

C Joe Torre
    2B Bobby Lowe
    SS Rabbit Maranville
    3B Eddie Mathews
    OF Hank Aaron
    OF Andruw Jones
    OF Hugh Duffy
    DH Chipper Jones
    SP Warren Spahn or Greg Maddux (We are thus far undecided on this)
    CP John SMoltz
    SU Gene Garber

What do you think Sam?

I haven't seen many of our regulars in recent days, but if Tomahawk, Tarheelsfan, AnzInvasion, GoBravos, or anyone else has input please post what you think.
    -Casey Stengel

Quote Originally Posted by cbenson5
    Atlanta Braves Freak and I have been talking via pm, and we have agreed that there is not enough traffic to warrant a series of position by position polls. He and I have formed this tentative roster:

C Joe Torre
    2B Bobby Lowe
    SS Rabbit Maranville
    3B Eddie Mathews
    OF Hank Aaron
    OF Andruw Jones
    OF Hugh Duffy
    DH Chipper Jones
    SP Warren Spahn or Greg Maddux (We are thus far undecided on this)
    CP John SMoltz
    SU Gene Garber

What do you think Sam?

I haven't seen many of our regulars in recent days, but if Tomahawk, Tarheelsfan, AnzInvasion, GoBravos, or anyone else has input please post what you think.
    Great stuff. Except I look at center field and, honestly, I expect Dale Murphy to be there instead of Andruw Jones. Probably just force of habit. I honestly think that spot is a toss-up between Andruw and Dale. Jones has established himself as a super fielder and power hitter, just like Murphy. It all boils down to what you value out of them more

Dale's two MVPs to Andruw's none.

or

Andruw's three (possibly soon to be four) Gold Glove advantage.

As for starting pitcher: Greg Maddux, no contest. Forget wins. Look at the ERA+, I think that's the fairest way to look at this. Maddux blows everyone out of the water during his Braves career. Spahn once won 21 games in 1960 but he had an ERA+ of 98 that season! He topped with a 188 ERA+ in 1953 and hovered in the 100s-120s range during his career. Maddux had ERA+s in the range of 140s-190s, with a lows of 122 in 1999 and 105 in 2003. His two best ERA+s may have been in short seasons, but who can argue with a 273 and 259?

Quote Originally Posted by SamtheBravesFan
    Boy is my face red!
    WHY? would you say that? Carty was a very good hitter and was fun to watch play LF.
    Braves Fan Forever

WHY? would you say that? Carty was a very good hitter and was fun to watch play LF.
    I said my face was red because at the time I made my list, I had forgotten Carty. He was one of the best pure hitters the Braves ever had. If he had stayed healthy, there was no telling what he could have done.

OK, I just have to stick up for my man, I just loved his hitting style.
    Altho Mathews was my favorite player, Rico was a very close second, ofcourse along with Logan, Adcock, Al Spangler. How you have a good idea on how old I am. Sphan, Sain, pray for rain.
    Forever a Braves fan. Boston, Milwaukee and Atlanta.
    Braves Fan Forever

OK, I just have to stick up for my man, I just loved his hitting style.
    Altho Mathews was my favorite player, Rico was a very close second, ofcourse along with Logan, Adcock, Al Spangler. How you have a good idea on how old I am. Sphan, Sain, pray for rain.
    Forever a Braves fan. Boston, Milwaukee and Atlanta.
    That's good.

Aw, heck, why not. Let's put Rico Carty in there instead of Hugh Duffy. Carty was a bit more explosive during his time.

Thanks guys. I worked nights when Rico hit 366. But got to hear it on the radio. Great year for him.
    Braves Fan Forever

Thanks guys. I worked nights when Rico hit 366. But got to hear it on the radio. Great year for him.
    The Braves had a pretty good offense in their early Atlanta years. They just didn't seem to have enough pitching.