View Poll Results: Which HOF player had the better MLB career?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Joe DiMaggio

12 16.00%
  • Stan Musial

59 78.67%
  • Equal -- no real difference

4 5.33%
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: DiMaggio or Musial?

Quote Originally Posted by Sultan_1895-1948 View Post
    Have a hard time believing this. Do you think Stan could have patrolled spacious YS centerfield effectively?
    He played 331 games in center, mostly in his younger years, and his range factor was average without any real park or pitching staff anomalies. All the metrics put him flat average in CF and again mostly in his younger years. He might have gotten robbed of some chances by his team-mates, but Dimaggio certainly did too. He also did not hit many triples later in his career. BIG drop off.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRon View Post
    As a schoolboy, Musial was a hitting AND pitching star. He was signed by the Cards essentially as a pitcher, but also played a lot of outfield in games between starts. He hurt his shoulder while diving for a ball in the outfield during a game in 1940, and was never able to throw particularly well again. Like Richie Ashburn, who also suffered an arm injury, he compensated pretty well by good positioning, quick releases, and accurate throws.
    Obviously he didn't have turf to help mask his lack of throwing power. But a great throwing third baseman can aide in that cause. Who was their third sacker and how was his arm?
    "By common consent, Ruth was the hardest hitter of history; a fine fielder, if not a finished one; an inspired base runner, seeming to do the right thing without thinking. He had the most perfect co-ordination of any human animal I ever knew." - Hugh Fullerton, 1936 (Chicago sports writer, 1893-1930's)

ROY / ERA+ Title / Cy Young / WS MVP / HR Title / Gold Glove / Comeback POY / BA Title / MVP / All Star / HOF

Have a hard time believing this. Do you think Stan could have patrolled spacious YS centerfield effectively?
    I think Musial may have as fast or slightly faster after 30, but imo DiMaggio was faster than Musial in his 20's. As a rookie he was the second fastest Yankee to 1st base, behind the speedy and totally despicable Ben Chapman.
    Last edited by layson27; 05-19-2017 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by layson27 View Post
    I think Musial may have as fast or slightly faster after 30, but imo DiMaggio was faster than Musial in his 20's. As a rookie he was the second fastest Yankee to 1st base, behind the speedy and totally despicable Ben Chapman.
    Joe had a long two handed follow through. Were they timed from a stand still or on contact?
    "By common consent, Ruth was the hardest hitter of history; a fine fielder, if not a finished one; an inspired base runner, seeming to do the right thing without thinking. He had the most perfect co-ordination of any human animal I ever knew." - Hugh Fullerton, 1936 (Chicago sports writer, 1893-1930's)

ROY / ERA+ Title / Cy Young / WS MVP / HR Title / Gold Glove / Comeback POY / BA Title / MVP / All Star / HOF

Quote Originally Posted by SavoyBG View Post
    As a former pitcher, Musial could throw very well. He had a big minor league season on the mound in 1940. 18-5 with a 2.62 ERA.
    He quit pitching because he hurt his throwing shoulder. I don't recall anywhere reading about him having a good arm.

I do not agree that DiMaggio was a better runner than Musial. Musial was definitely faster, we'll known for his footspeed. Musical was famous for hustling right out of the batter's box. Musical hit a ton of doubles and triples which speaks to his hustle.
    I'm not buying this. DiMaggio was one of the greatest natural athletes and ball players ever. Suddenly now Musial was great runner and thrower. PLEASE?

In fact, I would say it's an insult to Stan to imply that Joe had the better career
    I hope that you weren't alive in 1969, when DiMaggio was named baseball's greatest living player during the centennial celebration. If so, you must have been hugely insulted

Right on

Look, I don't have a problem with people ranking Musial over DiMaggio if they use the longevity argument. I don't agree, but I can see it. But, when posters use the character issue or try to make Musial remotely close as an all around player, I can't buy it. Dimaggio is in a ratified air of great all around players along with Mays, Wagner, Trout, and a few other others.
    Last edited by JR Hart; 05-19-2017 at 10:45 AM.
    This week's Giant

#8in games played as a Giant with 1501 , Jim Davenport

Joe had a long two handed follow through. Were they timed from a stand still or on contact?
    It seems from this article that it was after contact, but there's no way to know for sure- https://news.google.com/newspapers?i...3568%2C1415593

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brett View Post
    No, its simply a qualified fact. IF-THEN. If he had an average home field advantage then his stats would have been y based on his road numbers x. Again, I agree that his lesser home stats could have been in part due to him feeling more pressure at home, but the thing is that we actually have a) home and road stats that are incongruous (his home numbers RELATIVE to his road numbers are among the lowest in history) and b) we have a park that we would expect to cause that kind of effect. If the park did not reduce right handed home runs across the board by a huge margin then I would consider Joe quite differently as a hitter. Its also not on par with Gehrig overall because Gehrig's on base percentage was still 7% higher than the projection for Joe and Gehrig's OPS+ is still about 15 points higher.

Gehrig had a 119% relative batting average. Dimaggio was 122% on the road (vesus league average home and away) and 124% versus all other hitters on the road.

Also, it is not really regression to the mean. That would mean that you would expect Dimaggio's home rates to eventually become better than his home rates given enough time. That stats do not suggest that because his home to road discrepancy is among the greatest in history in favor of his road numbers.
    Of course it's regression to the mean. It's one thing to put up those rates for 70 games out of the season, and for 880 games for a career; it is another thing entirely to put up those rates for 140 games a year and 1760 games for your career. That MAY have been Joe's true talent level, but it is very, very unlikely.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JR Hart View Post
    He quit pitching because he hurt his throwing shoulder. I don't recall anywhere reading about him having a good arm.

I'm not buying this. DiMaggio was one of the greatest natural athletes and ball players ever. Suddenly now Musial was great runner and thrower. PLEASE?

I hope that you weren't alive in 1969, when DiMaggio was named baseball's greatest living player during the centennial celebration. If so, you must have been hugely insulted

Right on

Look, I don't have a problem with people ranking Musial over DiMaggio if they use the longevity argument. I don't agree, but I can see it. But, when posters use the character issue or try to make Musial remotely close as an all around player, I can't buy it. Dimaggio is in a ratified air of great all around players along with Mays, Wagner, Trout, and a few other others.
    One gets the feeling that Dimaggio was kind of like Griffey, in that his actual all around play probably was not quite as good as the stories and hyperbole would lead you to believe. The numbers would agree with that theory. I mean, they guy had 30 steals for his CAREER. Even Hank Greenberg had 58.

Quote Originally Posted by willshad View Post
    One gets the feeling that Dimaggio was kind of like Griffey, in that his actual all around play probably was not quite as good as the stories and hyperbole would lead you to believe. The numbers would agree with that theory. I mean, they guy had 30 steals for his CAREER. Even Hank Greenberg had 58.
    But he was recognized at least anecdotally as a great baserunner going first to third, second to home, etc. Who in that era focused on stealing bases?

Quote Originally Posted by PRW View Post
    But he was recognized at least anecdotally as a great baserunner going first to third, second to home, etc. Who in that era focused on stealing bases?
    George Case.

19th Century League Champion
    1900s League Champion
    1910s League Champion

1930s League Division Winner
    1950s League Champion
    1960 Strat-O-Matic League Regular Season Winner
    1960s League Division Winner
    1970s League Champion
    1971 Strat-O-Matic League Runner Up
    1980s League Champion
    All Time Greats League Champion

IMO ... not cracking a number here, and I'll say again that I take Musial in this but it's not by a huge margin and that shouldn't be taken as any disrespect to DiMaggio, both of them IMO belong in the discussion for the absolute elite in MLB history ... Musial suffers in comparison to DiMaggio for the main reason Aaron suffers in comparison to Mays in a lot of people's eyes.

DiMaggio was so vicious a hitter ... that's the way I describe his swing, just absolutely vicious ... so graceful a player in the field, he absolutely had this incredible flair about him.

Mays ... enough said.

Musial and Aaron didn't have that flair, they were "working man" players for lack of a better description, they simply did everything that a major league player needs to do, period.

Bill James in one of his writings said of Aaron something along the lines of "he just hit the ball as hard as he needed to hit it, threw the ball as hard as he needed to throw it and where he needed to throw it, ran to the place he needed to be to catch the ball, stole every base he needed to steal and took every extra base he needed to take."

I didn't grow up watching Musial, he retired when I was 5 and I hadn't started following baseball then, but he strikes me as the same kind of player. And I think to this day, the only player possibly more unappreciated than Aaron ... I said unappreciated, not underrated ... is Musial.

Because people gravitate to flair, even if the level of excellence is the same or dang close.

Quote Originally Posted by SavoyBG View Post
    George Case.
    I forgot about him. Touché. But the stolen base was not the kind of offensive weapon at that point that it was pre-rabbit ball and in the 1960s.

IMO ... not cracking a number here, and I'll say again that I take Musial in this but it's not by a huge margin and that shouldn't be taken as any disrespect to DiMaggio, both of them IMO belong in the discussion for the absolute elite in MLB history

Gosh- just joining in the army of ignorance, aren't you?
    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Seriously???

And most of the assessments made about DiMaggio were made by his peers and team managers
    This week's Giant

#8in games played as a Giant with 1501 , Jim Davenport

Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops Atrox View Post
    Gosh- just joining in the army of ignorance, aren't you?
    Not if your elite is more than five players. Probably your first four polls in the other thread are going to fit in my definition of the absolute elite in MLB history, given how many people have played the game.

DiMaggio's going to probably be toward the end of my selection in that group ... after Musial, who I think I had ninth.

And it is close in my mind because as I've told you folks repeatedly, it's not completely about the numbers or even about career length to me. I'm not anti-metrics, I don't just say case closed when I see them. Joe has some intangibles, even though he was never at any point in his life The Greatest Living Player.

On edit: It's close to me in THIS particular mano y mano comparison, but my pick in the all-time rankings might not be as close. Yes I know that sounds like I'm off my rocker or hypocritical, but contemplating all-time pitchers or position players, I've got a lot of people very close 6-20 and there might be more OF between Musial and DiMaggio.
    Last edited by PRW; 05-19-2017 at 01:12 PM.

Not if your elite is more than five players. Probably your first four polls in the other thread are going to fit in my definition of the absolute elite in MLB history, given how many people have played the game.

DiMaggio's going to probably be toward the end of my selection in that group ... after Musial, who I think I had ninth.

And it is close in my mind because as I've told you folks repeatedly, it's not completely about the numbers or even about career length to me. I'm not anti-metrics, I don't just say case closed when I see them. Joe has some intangibles, even though he was never at any point in his life The Greatest Living Player.

On edit: It's close to me in THIS particular mano y mano comparison, but my pick in the all-time rankings might not be as close. Yes I know that sounds like I'm off my rocker or hypocritical, but contemplating all-time pitchers or position players, I've got a lot of people very close 6-20 and there might be more OF between Musial and DiMaggio.
    I can't tell from your post. You do know that I was totally joking, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops Atrox View Post
    I can't tell from your post. You do know that I was totally joking, right?
    No, honestly Bothrops, I couldn't tell you were joking, and I do have a pretty keen eye for satire, LOL!

No harm no foul.

For example, though, I've got Ott (talk about unappreciated players) and F. Robinson for sure, probably R. Henderson too, behind Musial and ahead of DiMaggio among outfielders, but they're all great.

No, honestly Bothrops, I couldn't tell you were joking, and I do have a pretty keen eye for satire, LOL!

No harm no foul.

For example, though, I've got Ott (talk about unappreciated players) and F. Robinson for sure, probably R. Henderson too, behind Musial and ahead of DiMaggio among outfielders, but they're all great.
    See post #118. Guess I shouldn't have assumed you read that exchange.

Come in, I know you know the game and you must know the difference between stealing bases and being a good base runner, advancing. Two different worlds.
    Have seen a fair number of comments, not only teammates also opponents, praising Joe's base running skill.

Do I sound like a politician here.
    Career it has to be Stan but on any day in his prime years, putting on the spikes, overall Joe was as good as any playing the game then.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast